• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to DC (directly out of college)

ektaylor

Reaction score
Thanks to those who did post relevant replies. After the holiday weekend, I'm going to make a renewed effort--milking my contacts, continuing my research on the local job market, and reaching out past CH. As per the other questions.
I was curious, none of these internships or fellowships panned out into a job? follow-up question, why would you intern for a place you wouldnt want to work for?
Two reasons. First, these positions were unpaid for a reason. I contacted the offices and offered my "skills" up for free if they had a position that I believed would simultaneously benefit my resume and store of "skills". Luckily, I managed to find three of these positions. Unfortunately, the most noteworthy office I've worked for--while sharing my own hometown--is on the "wrong" side, so to speak. Second, in my other positions I had reached the maximum position available outside of some odd board appointment that I would have to court for a year or more. Keep in mind, I am a political science--not econ--major. There really are not that many work-X-amount-of-time-for-free-and-maybe-we-will-hire-you-later-schemes. At least, not in the BCG, McKinsey, Bain sort of way. @stop flaunting your alma mater poster, I was vague from the start to avoid any accusations of that sort. I know where my degree stands in the grand order of things. Sometimes, It may not be enough to bury it under vague references.
Lol, every DC thread always degenerates to "where can I party or meet cute chicks".
To all those concerned about 'cute chicks'. I would only reverse my previous effort and highlight my tenure at Berkeley. I'm probably 'hotter' than that male model who is still learning how to drink. I mean, when I go to a bar I start with a bold I win and order a small Bud Light. Of course, I finish with a neat Islay to sip while I stare at my 500 dollar pair of Aldens and fiddle with my RLPL tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads