• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving from Texas to Ohio - New Fall/Winter wardrobe wish list

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Howdy-

As I stated in a related thread, I'm about to be promoted and moved from Austin, TX to Columbus (originally Cincy) OH. While it has been an exceptionally hot summer that is literally now scorching through the Texas Hill Country, the climate will be significantly colder in Columbus. Compounding the climate change is that I've recently lost about 95 lbs and don't really have any FW clothes to speak of aside from a ****** BR camel colored topcoat that I got for $120 last winter just so i'd have something. So, here's my wish list- let me know if you think I should add anything in. I put sizes and approximate prices for budgeting and organization purposes.

Items already in my purchasing "queue":
1. Alden Indy 405s - Always wanted these since I was in high school but finally getting some off B&S pending the seller getting back to me.
2. Blake x RRL Selvedge Officer Chinos - Buying once they get size 29s back in stock

Jackets and Coats:
1. Filson x Levi Trucker Jacket (Tan, Size S) $180
2. Baracuta Slim G9 Harrington in Red (Size S) $300
3. Epaulet Chesterfield (Size 36) $1000
4. ToJ Collared Moto in Brown (Size S) $700
5. Peacoat - Haven't read Peacoat thread but will likely want something dressy and slim

Pants:
1. Howard Yount Flannel Herringbone Trousers (Sz 30)
2. Howard Yount Flannel Trousers (light grey) (Sz 30)
3. Epaulet Moleskin Trousers (Brown) (Sz 30) - If any of y'all can comment on fit versus HY I'd appreciate it. I love HY trousers and own 3 pair but they don't make Moleskin or Cords from what I can tell).
4. Epaulet Corduroy Trousers (Olive) (Sz 30)
5. Houndstooth/Prince of Wales check trousers - Need brand recommendations

Sweater (Howard Yount, Orvis, etc ??) - trying to not spend too much here as it can easily get out of hand:
1. Two cardigans, red and navy (Howard Yount?)
2. One shawl-collared cardigan, grey
3. V Neck- Burgundy, Navy, Light Blue,
4. Shaggy Dog J.Press Sweater

Scarf:
1. Burgundy J.Press

Shoes:
1. Suede Wingtips, maybe double monks instead
2. Shell Cordovan Boots

Notice I have no suits or shirts- suits are a lower priority right now although I do need to expand (I have only two and both are interview type suits) and shirts- I have a pretty good stock but if you think I should add anything in particular let me know. I will be adding some RRL Flannels where budget permits as they are awesome. I already own a great pair of cashmere-lined gloves in brown leather so while I will likely want more the priority is low to start with.

Anyhow, open to critiques or suggestions- although this is expensive for me I'm in a customer-facing sales role and will be in a new place where I know no one and have no social network. Looking presentable and well-dressed can only help in what will be an interesting transition.

dks202

Reaction score
What Happened? Nobody moves from Texas to Ohio.... or anywhere else for that matter...not on purpose anyway...

:slayer:

Last edited:

bjornb17

Reaction score

What Happened? Nobody moves from Texas to Ohio.... or anywhere else for that matter...not on purpose anyway...

San Antonio FTW! Nice cool weather this morning, finally!

Jsoftz

Reaction score

Yup. Not on purpose. Work is relocating and promotion. So yeah, not on purpose - will hopefully be back home in the Lone Star State within a year or two.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Indy's you are getting have a leather sole, I'd recommend taking them to a cobbler and replacing with a commando or Danite sole or something similar. I imagine Columbus can be just as snowy and icy as life here in Michigan and in my experience, a leather sole on ice is just asking for trouble. Yes, you can survive without out switching the soles out but I think the boot will be a lot more useful to you if you do switch it - and it's not as if the Indy is a particularly dressy boot to begin with.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the Indy's you are getting have a leather sole, I'd recommend taking them to a cobbler and replacing with a commando or Danite sole or something similar. I imagine Columbus can be just as snowy and icy as life here in Michigan and in my experience, a leather sole on ice is just asking for trouble. Yes, you can survive without out switching the soles out but I think the boot will be a lot more useful to you if you do switch it - and it's not as if the Indy is a particularly dressy boot to begin with.

+1 .congrats on your promotion..btw, I didn't see any snow blower or shovel listed :)

Benjamin E.

Reaction score

I'm originally from Columbus. I was there for 13 years before heading off to college. While it snowed, it didn't get that bad, but I'd still recommend a good pair of rubber soled boots. If you need a cobbler, there's an excellent one in Town & Country, a shopping center near Bexley. It's called Sam's Shoe Repair and the guy there does excellent work. He's honest and always a pleasure to deal with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads