• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth hole repair!

gululv

Reaction score
Last night I discovered that these disgusting creatures had ruined some of my favourite wool sweaters, including a SNS Herning Stark. Or not really ruined, but they have made holes that needs to be fixed. I live in London. I called a place called British Invisible Menders, but they were way too expensive, it would cost me something like 500 pounds to repair four sweaters. Anyone who have an idea for a cheaper way to solve this? I don't expect the sweaters to look perfect, but it would be nice to be able to use them in the future. I bought vacuum bags for storage in the future.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could try "Without a Trace" in Chicago, Illinois. I have used them and they do excellent work. They aren't cheap, and with international shipping it is even more expensive so it might not be that much of a savings, but it's worth checking out.

gululv

Reaction score
Thanks. I will have a look at it, but it's probably very expensive with shipping back and forth + taxes.
I did deliver the stuff to the dry cleaner, I just hope they won't wait two days to clean it so it allows the moths to destroy even more.

gululv

Reaction score
Thanks you. I might email them. But i will try somewhere here first.
Does anyone know how fast moths ruin a sweater? I fear that they wont dryclean them before thursday.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Garments can be frozen to get rid of any that remain. Are the larva visible?
Black pepper and/or cedar blocks/balls should help repel them too.

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im surprised they went for a stark, they tend to prefer softer fibres in my experience

1989thenumber

Reaction score
Last night I discovered that these disgusting creatures had ruined some of my favourite wool sweaters, including a SNS Herning Stark. Or not really ruined, but they have made holes that needs to be fixed. I live in London. I called a place called British Invisible Menders, but they were way too expensive, it would cost me something like 500 pounds to repair four sweaters. Anyone who have an idea for a cheaper way to solve this? I don't expect the sweaters to look perfect, but it would be nice to be able to use them in the future. I bought vacuum bags for storage in the future.

Moths are a ******* nightmare. I hate them. They ate through a bunch of my Pringle cashmere jumpers many years ago. Back then, you could take them in to Pringle on Bond Street and they'd send them up to Scotland and mend all the holes for free. Incredible service. Mind you, they were bloody expensive to buy.

Yes, vacuum bags are the solution. Good luck.

gululv

Reaction score
Thankfully the stark was the least affected. The bastards went for the arms and chest of the sweaters. I think it's because those are the most dirty parts. My dry cleaner took 5 pounds each for a repair, which is a very reasonable price. I don't expect them to look great, but as long as I can continue to wear them I am happy. The worst sweater was a Nigel Cabourn fairisle pattern sweater, light brown. From now on I will have vacuum bags and check the sweaters every second week or so during the summer. I ordered a kit from here: http://www.mothkiller.co.uk/. It seems like it did the job for now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads