• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monsieur

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is Francois-Jean Deahn, editor in chief of the Monsieur magazine. He seems to favor pocketed shirts and paisley lining; his interior decor seems to take a cue from Fred Hughes's eccentricism but the Christmas ornaments on the mantel are a bit dodgy. The shoes appear to be Aubercy, perhaps? And I can't forgive the facial hair; I really dislike the new habit of scruff cultivation.
monsieur11au.jpg
monsieur27al.jpg
The latter suit appears rather American in derivation. It is however, shorter than usual and sports a somewhat unusual stance and various pocket schemes. The painting on the easel is a very insipired move reminiscent of Cecil Beaton. *I believe the photos were scanned from a Japanese periodical by Sator.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you not find the side pockets a bit "inclined"? I believe to recall that I read in a thread that inclined pockets only were acceptable for some sport-coats. There was a specific term for such pockets, I believe. Maybe I am wrong, what do you think?
(I just became a bit worried, because I just found that the suit that I am wearing today has inclined pockets, but the inclination is substantially less than in the photo, I would say roughly 30 degrees with respect to the horizontal plane).

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, it's Djay ( http://www.djaytailleur.com/ ) a supposedly great paris tailor, thanks to cretinous gimmick like the cigar holder pocket.
At >3000 euros a suit, it better be.

Notwithstanding the suit's cut (with very wide sleeves for a custom (?) job), the second picture is just ridiculous.

!luc

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Do you not find the side pockets a bit "inclined"? I believe to recall that I read in a thread that inclined pockets only were acceptable for some sport-coats. There was a specific term for such pockets, I believe. Maybe I am wrong, what do you think?
slanted pockets.

!luc

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
3500 euros starting price for his suits?! That's more than Charvet and most of Savile Row! The site states that the suits are styled in the English manner (!)... then that Djay is specialized in the French style... then that Djay has "only one master: Caraceni" (which one of the four Caraceni, I wonder?)...

LabelLynde, you're just stirring the pot by showing pictures of M. Daehn's latest miscarriage.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He looks very silly.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This is Francois-Jean Deahn, editor in chief of the Monsieur magazine. He seems to favor pocketed shirts and paisley lining; his interior decor seems to take a cue from Fred Hughes's eccentricism but the Christmas ornaments on the mantel are a bit dodgy.

The shoes appear to be Aubercy, perhaps?

*I believe the photos were scanned from a Japanese periodical by Sator.
[/I]

Yes I scanned them from Gentry March 2006. And yes, he is wearing shoes by Aubercy.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
His pants look like jodphurs in the last photo.

I was really disappointed by the shoes at Aubercy when I was there.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW I posted them on AAAC because I thought either I had no clue or was going mad. The guy wants to bequeath his suits to a clothing museum on his death because he thinks they are masterpieces. The guys at AAAC said that he is known in Paris as a bit of a "character". Here is another view of his collection of Aubercy shoes:
gentryjpdaehn1qs.jpg
I love the button boots top centre. Not surprisingly Monsieur appears to be full of ads for Djay and Aubercy....

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, most of these shoe fetishists don't know how to dress or have very bad tastes in clothes, or both. Add a little bit of arrogance and "prÃ
00a9.png
ciositÃ
00a9.png
" (ask RJMan for a translation of this one) and you get this kind of clown as the paradigm of french dandyness.

!luc

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there was a thread on this on AA some months back.

I think he looks like an out-of-shape beanpole sourpuss. On such a thin man, that belly is unbecoming. Tailoring is not healthcare.

The suit looks like Pierre Cardin circa 1970, before lapels and pant leg widths exploded.

Even if the tailoring is top notch, the look is unpleasant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads