• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monsieur

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
He looks like he's wearing a toupe. EDIT - Luc-Emmanuel and I had the exact same thought, only an ocean away.
devil.gif

Carey

Reaction score
All pics hideous (except B at T). Soft spot for that movie.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carey
All pics hideous (except B at T). Soft spot for that movie.

Hepburn looks timeless but the men's suits in that film are too tight looking and boardering on ridiculous. Feel free to disagree however - maybe I'm missing something? I assume this is the Pierre Cardin influence coming through?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Do you not find the side pockets a bit "inclined"? I believe to recall that I read in a thread that inclined pockets only were acceptable for some sport-coats. There was a specific term for such pockets, I believe. Maybe I am wrong, what do you think?
(I just became a bit worried, because I just found that the suit that I am wearing today has inclined pockets, but the inclination is substantially less than in the photo, I would say roughly 30 degrees with respect to the horizontal plane).

Yes hacking pockets on a DB coat are truly bizarre. It is more acceptable on a SB coat for a suit although purists might insist that they only be put on a sport jacket - a "hacking jacket".

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find the photographs strangely disquieting on an almost visceral level.
smile.gif

drax

Reaction score
That said the suit is a mess, like its suffering from schizophrenia.
I will say however that Monsieur is the last bastion in print for good dressers even if leans towards the effete - which is a Parisian invention perhaps.
Bottom line is Francois Jean's heart is in the right place even if his lapels - and his tailors eye - aren't.

drax

Reaction score
I meant Monsieur is the last Bastion in Paris not worldwide. Then we would be truly
blush.gif
plain.gif
confused.gif
devil.gif
ed......

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This man has posture problems. He needs to work on that. Audrey Hepburn was dressed in that film, by Hubert de Givenchy. One of the final, grand couturiers. Givenchy believed strongly in flou, and used it to great advantage, on Ms. Hepburn's skeletal frame.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, actually, I think the whole image is perfect. Well, not perfect by ...aesthetic standards, or classic modes of dress, but perfect for his objective. He didn't name his publication "The well-dressed Monseur", for starters, so holding him to "standards" is rather unfair.

But, since he is a publisher, his first aim and objective is to garner publicity, and if you subscribe to the idea that a well-dressed man's appearance shouldn't invite comments, then he should not be well-dressed. He should be provocative, however, and I would submit that he has accomplished his goal.

Never mind that those who know better might think that the suit would look better if it were turned inside-out and draped over his shaggy coiffure.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would you call him "an advanced dresser" a la Stephen di Renza and Yann Debelle de Montby?

Or is he merely advancing into something else?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drax
That said the suit is a mess, like its suffering from schizophrenia.
I will say however that Monsieur is the last bastion in print for good dressers even if leans towards the effete - which is a Parisian invention perhaps.
Bottom line is Francois Jean's heart is in the right place even if his lapels - and his tailors eye - aren't.

The latest Arnys catalog can be termed somewhat effete or at least in the American sense.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
3500 euros starting price for his suits?! That's more than Charvet and most of Savile Row! The site states that the suits are styled in the English manner (!)... then that Djay is specialized in the French style... then that Djay has "only one master: Caraceni" (which one of the four Caraceni, I wonder?)... LabelLynde, you're just stirring the pot by showing pictures of M. Daehn's latest miscarriage.
Have you been to Camps Deluca, Max Evezline, and Gabriel Gonzalez? Cifonelli Paris also used to produce a quality garment but like most men's firms--notably Lanvin's chemisiers---they've become inferior with subcontractors like Nervesa Moda Uomo. De Luca and Bardot were the other tailors of the "old school". Add the cordwainers of Pinet, luggage by Moynat, Hermes by Dupre-Lafon stationary, and some smoking accessories by Dunhill de Paris and it's all quite stylish in that nostalgic sort of way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads