• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Money clips: always tacky?

Archivist

Reaction score
I can't stand pants pocket wallets, I use a breast wallet (Mulholland, not Hermes, I hasten to add. In smooth brown calfskin, none of this new fangled green lumpy stuff), and if I'm not wearing a jacket, a money clip is perfect for carrying some walking around cash, an ID and one cc. I like slim metal ones, not those large lather things.

As to it's being tacky, why? It's a small functional clip that keeps some cash neatly folded in your pants pocket. Are there tacky money clips, sure. Just like there are tacky wallets.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Tacky...

What's the point of them?

Put your money in your wallet and if it is a big amount, use a credit card if you're not a wise guy...

In some countries credit cards are not used all the time like in America and the paper money starts at less than $1 so money clips are very useful at times and wallets not needed.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a breast wallet, but it's not green. I use a billfold when not wearing a jacket. I'm not a fan of money clips.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
I can't stand pants pocket wallets, I use a breast wallet (Mulholland, not Hermes, I hasten to add. In smooth brown calfskin, none of this new fangled green lumpy stuff), and if I'm not wearing a jacket, a money clip is perfect for carrying some walking around cash, an ID and one cc. I like slim metal ones, not those large lather things.

As to it's being tacky, why? It's a small functional clip that keeps some cash neatly folded in your pants pocket. Are there tacky money clips, sure. Just like there are tacky wallets.

Exactly - I can't imagine why a small simple money clip would be anything other than useful certainly not tacky.

dmac

Reaction score
I received a credit card case as a gift and ditched my wallet for it. I decided to pick up a slim silver money clip for cash. I really like the combo. I don't find them tacky at all.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They can be very nice , tasteful and not tacky.

Here is a particularly nice one.

It is a combination slim wallet w money clip. Custom made in Alligator. It was even made for a famous person. Alas, I dont have it anymore
frown.gif

But I do have something similar
smile.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Exactly - when I do use a wallet it is a slim card wallet with a couple of credit cards etc and thats about it.

+1

I have a simple Tiffany's money clip, and either use a Picket card case or an April in Paris case, depending on my mood.... I hate the wallet bulge... I may consider getting a breast pocket wallet in future for wearing with odd jackets and suits, but for kicking about town in casual wear I prefer the minimalism of card case & money clip.

bing

Reaction score
voted in favour of the money clip.

i swap between two. Gucci was a gift a couple years back. Was using up until i picked up the CF one. I find the CF one to be lighter, easier etc.

moeny%20clips.JPG

Johnny24

Reaction score
Why bother when you can easily have a green Hermes breast wallet? They are pretty common these days from what I hear from Foo.
lol8[1].gif

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I have tried all kinds of small card/wallets/money clips. None of them seem to work for me. I have found that using the purple elastic band off of the asparagus stalks works great. It is also a great conversation piece. I keep a drivers license, and two credit cards with some bills (I try to mostly only carry $100's.)
smile.gif
It stays in my front left pocket. What I like the most about it, is I never have to worry about it sliding out because the rubber band won't slide in your pocket.

GucciMonster

Reaction score
I saw my uncle carrying credit cards and cash in a money clip - it looked ridiculous.

I personally use something that looks like this : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

Money on one side... credit cards on the other... little storage in the middle... it's pretty simple.

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score
A money clip is much thinner than a wallet. The only downside is less privacy. I would not want to count out money in a bad neighborhood and a wallet provides some privacy. A good money clip is more stylish. I like the money clips from Tiffany.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads