• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moderntailor Italian Collar - anyone ordered this?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered the "Italian" collar from moderntailor?

italiancollar.jpg

I hoped the 2-button cut-away would satisfy my needs for a tall collar with a nice roll/curve, but it didn't. To me, it looks generic and lifeless.
The only other option I saw was the Italian collar, but I'm a little afraid it might be too pointy and narrow for my tastes.

If anyone had pics of it, at best with a tie, that would be great.

columbia92

Reaction score
if you have a picture or specification of how you would want to modify the collar, you should be able to contact them and have them custom made the collar for you to your specification. You can even ask them to put that up on their future collar selection if you so desired. They did this for another sf member a few months back.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by columbia92
if you have a picture or specification of how you would want to modify the collar, you should be able to contact them and have them custom made the collar for you to your specification. You can even ask them to put that up on their future collar selection if you so desired. They did this for another sf member a few months back.

Do you have any pics of such collars? I'm looking for a spread collar that's about 160 degrees.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I thought about doing that. But that's quite an extra amount of work...

here is a link that'll show pictures of a bunch of shirts with Italian collar

http://www.moderntailor.com/shirt-sh...pe=collar&v=38

Thanks, I already had a look at that page. Shirt collars always look quite different folded up and without a tie, so I hoped someone here had a rl shot.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The longer I look at those showcase pics, the more I'm convinced I don't want that collar. Emailed them re:sending them one of my Jantzens where the collar is almost perfect.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sander, are you dissatisfied with Jantzen? I think they do a good collar, but the fabrics are a real crapshoot.

brittain

Reaction score
the problem Ive had with Jantzen collars is that one side will curve up and the other will curve down. almost every single jantzen I own is like this.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Sander, are you dissatisfied with Jantzen? I think they do a good collar, but the fabrics are a real crapshoot.
You're right about the fabrics; also, I've seen some strange shrinking issues on some of my shirts - they just get wider and shorter after a few washings. Do you still use Jantzen? If so, what fabric # is the blue linen blend I've seen on you?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: you can send them a shirt and have the collar duplicated; this costs an additional $5.
Very tempted to do this.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
these in particular, but as its a thread full of just shirts, its a good place to start.

Yup - his Finamores are terrific. I wonder whether Miguel could post the specs..

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Yup - his Finamores are terrific. I wonder whether Miguel could post the specs..

And here's the response from the man himself (from this thread):

Originally Posted by Miguel Alvarez
I'd want to give you the specs, but I don't think I can give the accurate measurement for the angle in which the collar is cut.
If anyone could tell me how to measure this I'd be happy to give you the specs.
For now all I can give you is the collar height (4,5 cm), collar points (9 cm) and the
spread between collar points (16 cm).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads