• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mock-turtleneck sweaters

Buddy Love

Reaction score
What do you think about them. Do people mock me if I use them? I have one very nice mockturtle-sweater, but "fashion gurus" tell me that they are out of fashion. Do you think they look really that awful? Are they out of style. Or is it, that they were never in?
tounge.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look good under a sports jacket. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them and I have a couple myself. Ignore the idiots that follow fashion.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I have several mock turtlenecks and enjoy wearing them with sportcoats or suits.

I don't know if someone in their teens or 20's would want to wear them, but if you're in your 30's or beyond, I think they are completely appropriate.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a nice merino wool mock with a sportsjacket. In my experience, cotton ones don't look too great to begin with, and go downhill really quickly after a couple of washes.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I have several mock turtlenecks and enjoy wearing them with sportcoats or suits.

I don't know if someone in their teens or 20's would want to wear them, but if you're in your 30's or beyond, I think they are completely appropriate.

I think they look good period, regardless of age (I'm in my 20s). What you don't want to look like is one of those poorly put together business casual types, but that comes down to the whole outfit as opposed to the mock turtleneck alone.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think they look good period, regardless of age (I'm in my 20s). What you don't want to look like is one of those poorly put together business casual types, but that comes down to the whole outfit as opposed to the mock turtleneck alone.

Excellent post, I concede the point.

Buddy Love

Reaction score
What you mean by "poorly put together business casual types"? I want to avoid that look.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
If the mock neck is well designed it looks good. Although not Hip, Smedley makes a beautifully designed mock. Some of the nicest Ive ever had are bergdorf goodman's store label cashmere sweaters from Italy. The Harrisons ones I got off of bluefly.com were zip uppable and very hip.

Good point! There are both zip front and plain mocks. I like both and have some of each. If a situation does not call for a tie or when tie is optional, I would much prefer to wear a mock and sportcoat than a suit and tie.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
They look good under a sports jacket. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them and I have a couple myself. Ignore the idiots that follow fashion.

yes. those people calling out whats fashionable should be the ones that should go out of style!

re: mocks, i have always assumed that men of uhm, more "hefty" physiques are to avoid it. opinions?
smile.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
They're great where weather or events call for more than a crewneck but one doesn't want or need the bulk of a turtleneck.

----Bingo!

I used to only go turtle, but their are certain cases where I've been suprised how a thin weight 100% cashmere mock can do wonderfully.

pkincy

Reaction score
I have always thought that those that comment on a forever changing "style" were chained to some designer of polyester clothing.

Liberate yourself and where what looks good and if a mock turtleneck looks good (it does on Tiger and he is pretty hip) than wear it.

Perry

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photos please of the stylish (and badly put together) looks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads