• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixed Drinks

RamNYC

Reaction score
I was wondering what people liked in the way of mixed drinks. What your drink consists of. Even if it's a classic, like Gina and Tonic or Vodka Martini,let us know.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dry martini with olive. it's gin, with a bit of vermouth, shaken with ice and strained into a martini glass. if i'm making it, i add a splash of angostura bitters.

vodka martinis are not the original drink. that's why you have to order them as 'vodka martini'. and it's why i'm always mildly (but not visibly) perturbed when waiters and bartenders want to know whether i want gin or vodka. if you just say 'martini', it's gin.

bombay sapphire is my favorite, although i haven't experimented much. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

----

something i've always wanted to try, but never felt the need to (even in college, IIRC) is a boilermaker.

/andrew

RamNYC

Reaction score
vodka martinis are not the original drink. that's why you have to order them as 'vodka martini'. and it's why i'm always mildly (but not visibly) perturbed when waiters and bartenders want to know whether i want gin or vodka. if you just say 'martini', it's gin.
I always want to say something to the waiter as well about that if it is a nice restaurant. They should know better.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should know better.
yeah, i know. but by now it's happened so often that i simply order 'martini, gin, olive', just to avoid the back-and-forth or a possible screwup where they serve me vodka.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you like Bombay Sapphire, you should try tanqueray ten.

Described as "sublimely fresh with depth and complex flavor and a mouth-feel that can only be described as unctuous," Tanqueray No. Ten is highlighted by flavors of grapefruit, orange and lime and mellowed by juniper and chamomile.

I'm not really a martini fan, but I like it better in gin and tonic, so you might want to give it a shot. Plus its totally unctuous.

RamNYC

Reaction score
If you like Bombay Sapphire, you should try tanqueray ten.
Quote:
Described as "sublimely fresh with depth and complex flavor and a mouth-feel that can only be described as unctuous," Tanqueray No. Ten is highlighted by flavors of grapefruit, orange and lime and mellowed by juniper and chamomile.
I'm not really a martini fan, but I like it better in gin and tonic, so you might want to give it a shot. Plus its totally unctuous.
What's in this drink of yours?

jmswentworth

Reaction score
Grey Goose or Belvedere, Fresh Lime, Cointreau, Shaken with lots of ice, and topped with Perrier.

The ultimate summer drink.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see...

If I'm in a classic sort of mood I like a Rob Roy (Scotch, sweet vermouth, bitters) in the winter, and maybe a vodka martini in the summer.

Most of the time in the summer though it's a mandarin Cosmopolitan. In the winter the fun drinks are the Girl Scout "Martini" (vodka, clearcreme de cacao, clear creme de menthe), or a Bardto (vodka, chambord, cranberry juice, champagne and a ring of sugar around the rim).

My only pet peeve is getting these drinks served to me on ice in a high ball glass. Each of them is meant to be up tall.

Mmmmm, booze.

bob

PHV

Reaction score
Let's see...

If I'm in a classic sort of mood I like a Rob Roy (Scotch, sweet vermouth, bitters) in the winter, and maybe a vodka martini in the summer.  

Most of the time in the summer though it's a mandarin Cosmopolitan.  In the winter the fun drinks are the Girl Scout "Martini" (vodka, clearcreme de cacao, clear creme de menthe), or a Bardto (vodka, chambord, cranberry juice, champagne and a ring of sugar around the rim).

My only pet peeve is getting these drinks served to me on ice in a high ball glass.  Each of them is meant to be up tall.

Mmmmm, booze.

bob
Is a true manhattan meant to be served in a high ball or a tall glass?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is a true manhattan meant to be served in a high ball or a tall glass?
A quick look at a bartending book says that either is fine. I'm just snotty and like it up.
wink.gif
bob

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
I think a martini glass is the most traditional for a manhatten.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spiced rum + ginger ale = Happy Skipper. Be sure to splurge and get some top notch ginger ale.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Tokyo Slim @ July 09 2005,23:49) If you like Bombay Sapphire, you should try tanqueray ten.
What's in this drink of yours?
Gin... tonic... a straw?

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My drink is Greyhound. It's simple- vodka and grapefruit juice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads