• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minot, North Dakota - ?

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Weather-wise, we should be alright, we went to college in Ellensburg, WA, and they seem to match up pretty well (hot summers, ball-chilling winters). I do need a parka/down jacket, though....

Jesus, fella, you've lived in some tough spots. I lived in Grand Forks, ND, for a couple of years - before the flood that destroyed their downtown in the mid-1990s, and just wrapped up living in Ellensburg for four years. After Ellensburg, Minot will seem like a "Magic City", except you won't have the Cascades. Unfortunately, the local beers in North Dakota can't hold a candle to some of the stuff from Roslyn or the Iron Horse Brewery in Ellensburg (don't know if the Iron Horse was around during your stint in Ellensburg).

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my dad's from north dakota. he tells stories about going to parties where everyone would bring in their car batteries and leave them on the porch so they wouldn't freeze. ah, good times!

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Jesus, fella, you've lived in some tough spots. I lived in Grand Forks, ND, for a couple of years - before the flood that destroyed their downtown in the mid-1990s, and just wrapped up living in Ellensburg for four years. After Ellensburg, Minot will seem like a "Magic City", except you won't have the Cascades. Unfortunately, the local beers in North Dakota can't hold a candle to some of the stuff from Roslyn or the Iron Horse Brewery in Ellensburg (don't know if the Iron Horse was around during your stint in Ellensburg).
yup, had many a kegger of iron horse. Ellensburg is better IMO, closer to a major city and has a much better bar/food scene. the only decent place here is that josh duhamel joint, though we just did get applebees not too long ago
plain.gif
I do like minneapolis, was there for a few days last july 4th. Got stuck in an elevator and missed the fireworks show by about 4 footsteps
lol8[1].gif
i did eat a lot of meat at some downtown restaurant though so it's all good.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Jesus, fella, you've lived in some tough spots. I lived in Grand Forks, ND, for a couple of years - before the flood that destroyed their downtown in the mid-1990s,

You'll be happy to know that downtown now looks better and is livlier than any time since the mid-70s (when commerce shifted to the south end). Good restaurants, cool stores, etc.

Originally Posted by foodguy
my dad's from north dakota. he tells stories about going to parties where everyone would bring in their car batteries and leave them on the porch so they wouldn't freeze. ah, good times!

That must have been a long time ago...I've never heard of that!
laugh.gif
(Maybe not a bad idea, though....)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

Jeebus. I had a consulting trip to Montana one November in the mid-90's, and I freaked out at how cold it was. Everybody there chuckled at me, saying it didn't really get cold until Jan-Feb or so.

Geek moment: the Ford dealership I was visiting sold more engine block heaters than oil filters year after year, which was the first time I'd ever seen that.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Geek moment: the Ford dealership I was visiting sold more engine block heaters than oil filters year after year, which was the first time I'd ever seen that.

Geek moment, part deaux: The block heater was invented in Grand Forks! Yay us!

(Seriously, though, nobody changes their oil at the dealership, unless they enjoy paying twice as much as they need to.)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Geek moment, part deaux: The block heater was invented in Grand Forks! Yay us!

(Seriously, though, nobody changes their oil at the dealership, unless they enjoy paying twice as much as they need to.)

I change my own oil, but when you look at an inventory ranking by sales for a dealership, the sales volume (unit) leaders were consistently the oil filters. FL1A, FL400, etc. Seeing anything at the top other than FL1A was bizarre.

At that time, though, there was a push to get the dealers into the maintenance loop, and deals on LOF (lube, oil, filter) were commonplace.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
That must have been a long time ago...I've never heard of that!
laugh.gif
(Maybe not a bad idea, though....)

well, duh ... I'm an old guy and it is my DAD who told me. that was back in the 40s. i'm sure battery technology has improved since then, though I doubt NDak weather has.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads