• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Neckwear: Why do you choose what you choose?

Reaction score
Me too! Where are these bastards?

I say we team up and find these so called iCelebs, and when we do... We do something to them that they wont like. Haha
wink.gif

Maybe we should put up a bounty?

Reaction score
Wow, all of this is great info. Does anybody care where the ties are made? Whether its imported from a developing country, or handmade, or manufactured?

I was looking to handmake these to give more attention to the details, but wondering if that really even matters. I have had handmade and non and both seem to really depend on who's making them.

Last edited:

Plestor

Reaction score

Wow, all of this is great info. Does anybody care where the ties are made? Whether its imported from a developing country, or handmade, or manufactured?

I was looking to handmake these to give more attention to the details, but wondering if that really even matters. I have had handmade and non and both seem to really depend on who's making them.
Details mater but they come after fabric (and being the correct dimensions). Having something unique yet classic will get you to be the sf FOTM assuming that the construction is merely reasonable. To keep people long term you need the details tho... Country of orgin is a non issue for *ME* given everything else is held static...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is interesting, seeing as how I have my own fair share of 3.5 ties, I prefer the 3.25 ties but can definitely go down to 3.

Any reason why you dont prefer the skinnies? But then again 3.5 is just classic and timeless

I prefer 3.5 as it makes a nice size knot and it isn't trendy in terms of width. I have some that are 3.25 and that still works ok for me. I'm 41 and I find they look good on people of almost any age. I find the skinny ties look good on guys in their 20s, but on guy's that are older it looks like they are trying out for a part as an extra on Mad Men.

I'm wonder if I am alone here, but if I see a gorgeous tie but it's an inferior brand, I won't buy it. I have faith in certain names and I stick to those.

There are some brands I favor and I'm willing to try new brands. However, I won't buy ties from inferior brands.

I think its very nice if its handmade, but I've had some nice ties that aren't not hand made. I think almost all of my ties are made in Italy or England, but I wouldn't mind buying a high quality tie made in the US.

I think if a product is made in a developing country, it might turn some people off. Where the tie is made isn't generally a concern of mine. However when you hear something is made in certain countries it does make me question its quality and value.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I say we team up and find these so called iCelebs, and when we do... We do something to them that they wont like. Haha ;)

Maybe we should put up a bounty?

Craziness!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics