Men's Neckwear: Why do you choose what you choose?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hunterxgatherer, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hunterxgatherer

hunterxgatherer Member

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about starting a Men's Neckwear line and had a few questions for my fellow dressy peers. When purchasing a tie, what are the deciding factors in buying a tie?

I have a little over 100 ties and find myself buying them for various reasons, but wanted to get an idea of what is important to others.

Along with price, I personally love design and color.

Thoughts?

2. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

whether they will be SF-approved or not

that is to say, if they've been endorsed by StyleForum iCelebrities

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

3. hunterxgatherer

hunterxgatherer Member

Huh, I guess that makes sense. Who are these iCelebrities? I demand to speak to them now! [​IMG]

I guess the good thing is that SF seems to be a really good spot to receive advice. I have been a lurker for a while and over the past year have seen many come to the rescue of noobs such as myself.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

As with everything clothing-related, it's fabric, construction, fit, and price. Fit-wise, I look for ties that are 3.5" wide. I can maybe deviate .25" from this, especially on the downside, but any farther and it's a deal-breaker. Construction-wise, I like untipped ties with some nice hand-rolled edges.

5. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I am a fan of 3.5 wide ties as well, mostly silk ties, favourite cheap place is Tie Rack, favourite expensive place Bulgari, both very easy to find in Hong Kong

6. hunterxgatherer

hunterxgatherer Member

Thats interesting, I prefer 3-3.25 wide ties, though I have my fair share of 3.5.
    May I ask why you guys prefer the 3.5 wide tie?

Thats interesting, I prefer tie 3.25 wide ties, though I have my fair share of 3.5.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I am also a fan of ties that are 3.5 inches wide (I don't like really skinny ties). Construction is important, as some ties make a better knot than others. I prefer woven silk ties over prints. Also, I don't like ties in materials other than silk (such as cashmere or wool). I am generally not a fan of floral designs on ties, although on a rare occasion if the color and design work with a suit I might buy one.

8. hunterxgatherer

hunterxgatherer Member

That is interesting, seeing as how I have my own fair share of 3.5 ties, I prefer the 3.25 ties but can definitely go down to 3.

Any reason why you dont prefer the skinnies? But then again 3.5 is just classic and timeless

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Having a small number of ties, I look for versatility. That may change if I wear ties to work but for now, I have about 10 ties that need to cover all situations. So solids and simple patterns. 3.25" is my preferred width since it can work with skinnier and wider lapels. I love textured ties like wool or grenadine.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Having a decently large amount of ties, I look for ties that I like. Really, just color and pattern that I like. I'm willing to compromise width and supposed quality (I have not noticed huge differences in tie quality above a certain minimal standard).

11. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I'm wonder if I am alone here, but if I see a gorgeous tie but it's an inferior brand, I won't buy it. I have faith in certain names and I stick to those.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Me too! Where are these bastards?

13. hunterxgatherer

hunterxgatherer Member

I have never been one to nitpick because of brand, but I do agree with quality. What do you consider as inferior? Usually good branding and good quality go hand in hand, but sometimes, thats not the case.

14. comrade

comrade Senior member

Nothing narrower than 3.75 in (9.525 cm)
    Must be an overall pattern/ stripe or solid.

15. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

I tend to prefer ties with tails that are a little wider, allowing for a somewhat elongated knot on the FIH (or double FIH, depending on the silk's thickness). Other than that, malleability is quite important for achieving a successful dimple. For width, I tend to stick to 3.25" - 3.5", but will stray if there is a particular pattern or color that I like.