• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JLnoir

Reaction score
I already asked this but didn't get an answer so here it is: I just ordered a pair of Chelsea boots about id say 3-4 days ago and they still have not contacted me to pay. How long did you guys have to wait until they emailed you.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already asked this but didn't get an answer so here it is: I just ordered a pair of Chelsea boots about id say 3-4 days ago and they still have not contacted me to pay. How long did you guys have to wait until they emailed you.
They don't contact you until they are ready to ship

cazone

Reaction score

I have a pair of Meermin in Cognac calf on the Hiro last (second from the right).
I like the last and quality is fine.
The thing is, the leather. It just doesn't look right. I've been polishing them many times and they still look flat.
Like plastic. The straight cap toe looks ok, but the upper leather where it's supposed to fold is not nice.

Any ideas what to do ? Use acetone ?

c*

PS: just remembered that I posted about this over a year ago ... post #11873

Last edited:

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
It's my first time on this forum and I need some help. I ordered two belts and a pair of racing green austerity brogues. Firstly, one of the belts came in the wrong size whilst the shoes were kinda dirty. The metal toecap has rust on it and there were brown stains and a chip on the shoe. I'm fairly new to the shoe world so any advice would be greatly appreciated. It seems that the cs at meermin replies fast only to orders or payment. I have emailed them a couple of times to no reply. Help?

The rust on the toe tap is probably not worth your time. Some green polish on those patches should take care of the underlying color you're seeing.

Regarding the belt: I would bet it's pretty expensive on their end to ship out a new belt and pay for your return shipping, so maybe they're hoping you'll give up? Email them every day until you get a response. Maybe someone here has the email address for the head honcho (Pepe?), which would certainly escalate things. Last resort would be to file a claim with your CC company or PayPal. That should get their attention.

oxfordsandties

Reaction score
@esoxm @oxfordsandties thank you guys for the replies. the shoes came in a very dark green-almost black if not under sunlight. Not what the pictures depicted. It also feels and looks like a cheap pair. @oxfordsandties as annoyed as i am , wouldn't that seem a little over the top? Has this happened to you before? @esoxm As a broke college student, i had to save up for quite a while for these. Yeah i could probably do that but why is the difference in colour so substantial? Could this be a manufacturing defect or? pics attached .do let me know your thoughts:)

greetings from singapore:)

it may be a bit over the top but companies tend to respond best to problems when they are out in the open.

st111

Reaction score

With my first ever order with Meermin, a model 101198 (size 11UK) which I would estimate to be among their highest volume sellers, it took them nearly three months to finally invoice me and ship them. Eventually they did acknowledge the excessive nature of the delay after repeatedly communicating impending shipment dates that did not materialize and removed the shipping charge to compensate for the delay.

st111

Reaction score
Given the pronounced difference in coloration, I think you have good reason to be upset. And in your stead I would vociferously voice your disappointment to them. I participated in the museum plum oxford GMTO on the Hiro last a few months ago, and while there as well (to my preference actually) the color pattern turned out not to be as pronounced as the sampler photos might have led one to believe, the difference was by no means as stark as in your case.

jairjoash

Reaction score
@st111 @oxfordsandties @rbhan12 @axon17 thank you for your replies. Perhaps a more fitting name would be 'camouflaged austerity brogues' HA! On the other hand. Meermin got back to me today, which they promised(finally) However, they left the issue of the belt out. It is so frustrating I am at the point of giving up.The shoes were bought for a specific event and i haven't worn them for fear of making them un-returnable. Does anyone here have any idea of how i can contact the senior management? Also,(for a lack of a better word) am i being too bitchy about this? or are my expectations too much? The suede DMS and the plum DMS didnt come with major problems.
Meermin-
"Good morning Mr. Joash,
We hope you are well & thanks for your wait.
Regarding the pictures you sent us, the 'chip' is the welt's end and sure that won't affect to the shoes wearability or cause you any inconveniences.
Regarding the stains, have you tried to brush them off? We are asking, since from the pictures we cannot clearly determine what might be. Please just let us know at your earliest convenience.
But no worries, we will find the way you have the shoes in perfect condition.
Looking forward hearing from you.
Best regards & have a nice Sunday,
Meermin Mallorca Shoes
E · www.meermin.es"
Me-
Thank you for the reply. Shouldn't the end of the welt be glued down? I have tried brushing them off and they seem to be brown coloured stains. With saphir renovateur, only some of the stains came off. However, the colour of the shoes doesn't match the picture on the website. Also, the plum museum calf belt was sent in the wrong size. Thank you for replying on a Sunday and I look forward to be hearing from you guys.
Thanks,
Jair Joash

jairjoash

Reaction score

I have a pair of Meermin in Cognac calf on the Hiro last (second from the right).
The thing is, the leather. It just doesn't look right. I've been polishing them many times and they still look flat.
Like plastic. The straight cap toe looks ok, but the upper leather where it's supposed to fold is not nice.

c*

PS: just remembered that I posted about this over a year ago ... post #11873
hey there:) have you tried starting afresh?removing everthing with reno, allowing it to dry,before applying the wax and water.Ihave a pair of wholecuts that has a crease like that too,albeit not as bad.

aussieguy

Reaction score
As a broke college student, i had to save up for quite a while for these. Yeah i could probably do that but why is the difference in colour so substantial? Could this be a manufacturing defect or? pics attached .do let me know your thoughts:)

greetings from singapore:)
Are the pics you took of the museum calf in green? They look black in that pic and not museum but plain calf as well. I have only bought one pair of shoes from Meermin and it was in a lighter colour, and when they arrived I noticed that they didn't appear to be like they were in the pics on the website. Now I understand that under professional lighting and photography they will look different, but in the case of your shoes, they don't even look green. They obviously are green though which is obvious from some of the other pics you posted earlier. However, it would be nice if the colours depicted on the website were a bit more accurate of how they looked in real life.

aussieguy

Reaction score

I've read that sometimes the way that leather creases depends on several factors. Sometimes your left and right shoe don't fit exactly the same due to a slight difference in foot size or a slight difference in the size of your shoes. They say that if a shoe is tighter on your foot, there will usually be less creasing. Creasing isn't too bad but in the case of your shoes, if one has significantly more creases than the other, it could look a bit odd. I suppose another reason might be that there is some variation in the leather, although I am just guessing on that one.

aussieguy

Reaction score
I bought my first and so far my only pair of Meermin Oxfords earlier this year. The first thing that I noticed was that the colour was somewhat different to what I was expecting from their website pictures. This was nothing significant since this is often the case with buying things online. The second thing that I noticed was that the leather was much different to the shoes that I usually purchase.

I live in Australia and so have previously mainly bought Aquila shoes, which is an Australian shoe company. Some of their stuff is made in Italy, while some are made elsewhere, possibly China. In my research on shoes I read that Aquila are generally considered by shoe snobs to be not in the same league as better shoe manufacturers, somewhat of a pleb shoe maker for the masses that don't know or care about footwear. So after reading and talking to people I found out that Meermin might be a good place for me to start, since other manufacturers are much more expensive.

I own several pairs of Aquila shoes but have only one pair of Meermin shoes. I have noticed that the Meermin leather is a fair bit thicker than the Aquila leather. However, the Meermin leather seems like leather that I have noticed on cheaper shoes that I have seen in stores. Now it could be me, but I have noticed similar leather in shoes that are less than $100 a pair. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but there is a stiffness to it and it almost looks like it's plastic, and there is no shine to it at all.

When I polish my Aquila shoes I can get a decent shine out of them and they seem to absorb the polish differently. With my pair of Meermin shoes, they seem to soak up the polish or the crème but exhibit very little shine. Looking at the grain I can see the grain more clearly in the Meermin, which just makes them look too plastic to me. I can only imagine how plastic and fake looking pebbled leather might appear to be.

In saying that though, I am going to buy another pair of Meermin shoes because I have noticed that Aquila have in the last one and a half to two years increased their prices significantly without any noticeable difference in quality. The good thing about buying from Aquila for me is that I get free shipping and free returns. This way I can buy a few different pairs and in different sizes if I wish, and then return any that I don't want and get a refund. With Meermin, the shipping is 35 Euro and any returns are at my expense, not to mention that they seem to take a fair while to ship out the shoe.

I have considered other shoe makes but the prices are so high that I am scared of purchasing without seeing them in the leather as well as not trying them on first. Even looking at prices on the Carmina I was shocked.

Is the calf leather that Meermin use typical of mid range shoe manufacturers? I've attached a pic of an Aquila shoe. Notice how the grain looks different as well the shine compared to Meermin shoes. I have noticed though that due to Meermin leather being thicker, it doesn't seem to scuff as easily compared to my Aquila ones.

Colrais

Reaction score
Meermin does not offer a resole/recraft service to my knowledge. But the shoes are goodyear-welted and you may resole them if you can find a cobbler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads