• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imgur Album

Just noticed that on the primary set of laces they had, the laces are uneven. But they threw in a second pair of laces, I'll have to swap those in later. Already getting a nice lightening effect where the creases are settling in. Also, interesting problem, the glaze/polish on the sole is wayyyy too slippery, I'm going flying all over my carpets for now.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice assortment of pictures, but do you mean that these shoes are cognac and not cherry? I believe the cognac lwb is the first one offered and closed in late Novemeber.

also would you mind taking a picture of the sole? another poster mentioned that the latest shell is actually contructed to LM's standards but the website indicates a gy-1 construction method.

also how does it compare to the other leathers that you may have owned: Carmina, Alden, AE, C&J, etc...

from my recollection, gy-2 has a subtle beveled waist while gy-1 does not.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One shoe has a slightly beveled waist. One shoe does not. Didn't notice it until you asked. I'd say, as of right now, the shell compares at least as well to Alden and AE shells. Glossy like the supposedly acryllic-treated Alden shells. AE shells tend to feel softer, rubberier in my feel. But, like I mentioned, the lining falls short, definitely inferior feeling to both the Alden and AE liners.

Last edited:

marvaments

Reaction score
nice assortment of pictures, but do you mean that these shoes are cognac and not cherry? I believe the cognac lwb is the first one offered and closed in late Novemeber.

also would you mind taking a picture of the sole? another poster mentioned that the latest shell is actually contructed to LM's standards but the website indicates a gy-1 construction method.

also how does it compare to the other leathers that you may have owned: Carmina, Alden, AE, C&J, etc...

Yes, my mistake I meant cognac. I'm away from home at the moment, but it had construction that seemed to be LM with branding that said LM. Maybe someone else who has the pair handy can post some otherwise I will post when I'm at home later tonight.

marvaments

Reaction score

As requested. I've owned only Alden and Carmina shell. It seems on par with Alden shell in terms of sheen but haven't had time to wear them yet. My Carmina shell seems quite dry compared to Alden shell.

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty big oversight for Meermin to continue to use GY1 on all their shell offerings when they get it correct on all the other MTO's.

Would also partly explain why the shells are cheap, if you add on the additional cost LM seems to take then the shells aren't that far off what old shell MTO's (which were always LM) were. I don't believe the Japanese shell is significantly cheaper especially in a market of diminished supply, rather they've targeted a market that doesn't exist and that's cheaper shell offerings because all the other places do shell with their best construction which is partly why you pay near double for other shell from say carmina.

burlyarab

Reaction score

I can't decide whether to go with a 7.5UK or 8UK in the Hiro. 8E fits me best in Allen Edmond's 5 last, though I can fit into a 8.5D after some stretching in the midfoot and toe. How narrow is the Hiro last compared to AE's 5 last? 
I'd go with 7.5 if you have a wide size in the 5 last.

burlyarab

Reaction score
Just got a delivery, and apart from the usual overly zealous splashing of glue in the interior, can't find a thing wrong.

Hiro dark brown suede oxfords and Rui snuff suede captoe boots. The Oxfords seem tighter/stiffer and more structured than my double monks, break in isn't going to be fun with those. The boots however seem moulded to my feet out of the box.

ui9O6yw.jpg

Last edited:

riton

Reaction score
I added it fairly late in the design process, as I overlooked it in my original specs. I have to venture a guess that they did not see it. But honestly, these are going to be warm boots. Really warm. For me these are going to be too warm in the rain, and will be reserved as true winter boots. (again for me) I will not be worried about getting my foot wet in 5F/-15C like it was this morning.

DL-

David, since watching your pics and reading your praise about those boots, I was so impatient to receive my GMTO shearling lined boots !

I received them yesterday and it was such a let down, cannot wear thick winter socks only thin socks. Can you wear winter socks with your boots? If yes, did you order 1/2 size up ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

Southeasterly

Reaction score
I decided to give the Meermin bal boots a try - loving that weak Euro. Ordering was fast and painless. Boots arrived in about a week so no worries there. The Hiro last fits me true to size and is very comfortable (for point of reference, I wear a 10.5 D in AE McNeil and 11D or 10.5 E in 5 last shoes, 10 UK in Yanko monks). The quality is passable, but there are a couple of imperfections in the leather and the typically sloppy application of edge dressing. Overall quality is clearly a notch down from my Yankos; about what I was expecting based on what I've read here. They do look pretty nice on the feet. For the money spent, I think they're perfectly good and I'll be more inclined to just wear them instead of babying them.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had a few quick minutes to inspect the the cognac lwb yesterday and, from the onset, it looks really nice and clean. cognac is between Alden's whiskey and ravello with a reddish tone.

the leather definitely feels different than horween's leather, maybe it's the thickness but that may be due to Meermin using a low-quality liner indicated by previous posters. aesthetically, the leather looks pristine with no blemishes which seem to ubiquitously appear in the lighter shells such as Alden whiskey. the shine is not as prevalent and radiant as Alden's shine, but it's on par with the other makers and better than most AEs i've handed. the construction is very clean as well - none of my CM shoes received were constructed flawlessly: just a

now the final testing ground is to actually wear them and see how these distinctive Japanese shell respond to creases and to the elements.

overall i'm satisfied but my view my sway after actually wearing them. so far, it's all eye-candy for pretty much half the price of the next cheapest shoemaker.

Last edited:

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David, since watching your pics and reading your praise about those boots, I was so impatient to receive my GMTO shearling lined boots !

I received them yesterday and it was such a let down, cannot wear thick winter socks only thin socks. Can you wear winter socks with your boots? If yes, did you order 1/2 size up ?

Thanks for your feedback.
Riton,

For me the whole point was not to have to wear thick socks. The shearling lining provides the warmth so I do not need anything more than a cotton dress sock, though I do prefer thin wool dress sock with these boots.

On a side note we are expecting -5F/-20C temps this weekend, I will definitely be putting them to the test.

DL-

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member