• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nubirth

Reaction score
I personally found the RON last to be long and narrow, but others have found it fit well and TTS.

Have you tried the Hiro last? If so, how was the sizing?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the Hiro last? If so, how was the sizing?

I have not tried the HIRO last yet, only the RON. Looking to try the HIRO soon

Rimaarts

Reaction score
pardon the bad quality pictures.. Ron loafers look narrower, rounder with higher toebox, while Hiro is flatter and more.... almondy?... Ron I needed thongue pad to stop a heel slip while Hiro is fine... to be honest as much as I love dark brown leather I find I wear Ron less than my loake tassels because it's too pointy with too high toe box... but taste differ...

Attachments

• 20210212_140751.jpg
    20210212_140751.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210212_140704.jpg
    20210212_140704.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 162

Rimaarts

Reaction score
Guys, can someone explain me something? I’ve been bashing meermin for nearly 20% price increase. Back in 2019 summer I got unlined loafers for 160£. Checked price post Brexit, 154£. Emailed meermin, their answer “we removed vat for uk orders” so basically 20%-6£ increase.. horween boot, 500£.... today I noticed on meermin site “uk orders billed vat included” just for the heck of it, added horween boot, got to check out, “order total 500£+8£ shipping...” prices for rest of stuff seems same... looks like boot is 500 vat included...

Now I’m suddenly waiting for horween monkstrap in hiro (preferably wide fit)...

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think breaking in any new boot Goodyear welted or not tends to suck, also breaking in anything Goodyear welted depends on a lot of factors like how tight it was lasted, thickness of leather, type of sole ect. I don't think this is necessarily a deal breaker for buying Meermin or any other quality Goodyear welted product. It's kind of like raw denim, it's just part of the adventure!

Indeed!

WSB17

Reaction score
What's the consensus on HOK size if you have wide feet? I take 9E in Barrie and Leo last. TTS with Hok?

I'm 10.5 (D) in the Barrie, 11 (D) on Allen Edmonds 65 last (Park Avenue, Mcallister, etc.).
I had to size down to 9.5 UK on the HOK last.
My other Meermin reference is the HIRO last, for which I wear 10 UK.

The HOK is definitely voluminous, but in my case, I have purchased two pairs of boots on the HOK last year, and I do prefer the extra space when it comes to boots.

Hamiste

Reaction score
I'm 10.5 (D) in the Barrie, ...I had to size down to 9.5 UK on the HOK last.
My other Meermin reference is the HIRO last, for which I wear 10 UK.

The HOK is definitely voluminous, but in my case, I have purchased two pairs of boots on the HOK last year, and I do prefer the extra space when it comes to boots.

Hi, that would also be my opinion : I own 8,5 (US) Barrie Boots and I go for 7,5 (UK) Hok boots. I have to go on 8 (UK) for Hiro shoes. I don't know the Leo last. Again, this is my experience based on my feet, but it seems to match WSB17 contribution. If you want to check, you might find useful to use measures charts from Meermin that I shared a few pages ago.

joman8390

Reaction score
Hi, that would also be my opinion : I own 8,5 (US) Barrie Boots and I go for 7,5 (UK) Hok boots. I have to go on 8 (UK) for Hiro shoes. I don't know the Leo last. Again, this is my experience based on my feet, but it seems to match WSB17 contribution. If you want to check, you might find useful to use measures charts from Meermin that I shared a few pages ago.

I’m in the exact same boat. 8.5D on Barrie and Leo and 7.5UK on Hok and 8UK on Hiro.

On a different note, for those who size down a half size from Hiro to Hok do you also size down a half size for Rui or wear the same as your Hiro size?

Hamiste

Reaction score
I’m in the exact same boat. 8.5D on Barrie and Leo and 7.5UK on Hok and 8UK on Hiro.

On a different note, for those who size down a half size from Hiro to Hok do you also size down a half size for Rui or wear the same as your Hiro size?

Hi, actually yes I do but I am not sure that others should to the same : according to me Hok > 0,25 size bigger than Rui > 0,25 bigger than Hiro. I would be interested to know what other do in Rui.

As a result I'm 7,5 in HOK (even if 7 could do for a few hours), 7,5 in Rui (impossible to wear in 7) and 8 in Hiro (I have a few in 7,5 but I can only wear them without socks and not too long!).

snowbird25

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm interested in ordering a pair of Meermin's but am having a little difficulty deciding what size I should purchase... I unfortunately don't know my brannock size, but wear the following:
- Grant Stone, 9E
- Common Projects, 43
- RM Williams, 9G
- Most running shoes/casual sneakers in 10-10.5

I'm specifically looking at the whole cut chelsea (style 101050) which uses the Hiro last. Thank you in advance for any guidance!

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unless I'm missing something, you guys are saying you need to size down on the HOK last, but a 8.5US and a 7.5UK are the same size? sizing down would be 8.5US and 7 or 6.5UK?

joman8390

Reaction score
unless I'm missing something, you guys are saying you need to size down on the HOK last, but a 8.5US and a 7.5UK are the same size? sizing down would be 8.5US and 7 or 6.5UK?

The Alden Barrie and Grant Stone Leo lasts both fit 1/2 size big. So I am a 9D US on "normal" lasts if you will. So 8UK on Hiro would be regular for me as a US 9D, whereas wearing a 7.5UK on Hok is sizing down a half size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads