• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cherry boots look tempting but with a delivery date so close to the summer months, the boots won't get much use.

DCFO

Reaction score

Happy to receive 3 pairs of new shoes in a day. More happy to receive the Meermin pair with no visual defects upon initial check. This pair can serve as my workhorse!!!

Just to share. Spent 3 weeks from ordering to receipt.

Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Have a Meermin noob question. Do you guys go a half size or full size down from your US size? That is, if you're a 9US, do you order 8UK in Merrmin? Or 8.5?

For point of reference, I wear 8UK in Carmina simpson and 7.5 UK in C&J.

Thanks!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey everybody,

Have a Meermin noob question. Do you guys go a half size or full size down from your US size? That is, if you're a 9US, do you order 8UK in Merrmin? Or 8.5?

For point of reference, I wear 8UK in Carmina simpson and 7.5 UK in C&J.

Thanks!

I think just like any other brands it depends on the last. I think generally I'm at least 1.5 down from my U.S. Brannock size. I am typically US 9D in AEs, 8UK in C&J 224 and 325, US 8.5D in Marlow Pennies and Wingtips.

Here is my experience when they visited NY.

Ama - UK7.5E heel slip
Hiro - UK 7.5E, fits well
Roi - 7.5E loose all over
New Rey - 7.5E fits good, but too pointy

Pb924

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of meermin dark brown calf oxfords. Im kind of new to dress shoes. Should I immediately get some shoe trees for them? and what about waxes and creams for a dark brown calf?

cobashk

Reaction score
Would anyone with a pair of Hiro lasted shoes in size 7.5 or 8 UK be willing to provide outsole and insole measurements? I want to make sure that I am choosing the right size on a purchase- according to Meermin's provided measurements, a pair of shoes on the Hiro last in 8 UK would be 11.7 inch outsole and 11 inch insole, which is approximately equal length to my Carminas on Detroit last in size 7 UK. It doesn't make sense that 7 UK Carmina should equal 8 UK Meermin in length, so I was hoping someone could help shed light on the situation.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mentioned awhile ago that my 1.5+ years Hiro lasted oxford shoes started squeaking in the right foot about a month ago.

Today I picked up the pair after getting a full resole, and the cobbler said the shank was loose. Photos up later, but they look amazing.

Shoes saved!

(FWIW I have yet to wear them, so, they may end up squeaking again but the finishing looks fabulous. I have his assurances.)

Can I ask how much the resole cost?  Do let us know if it fixed the issue.

$68

I was told he replaced or cleaned the shank, cleaned up the entire inners (glue and and all), and added new heel to balance the shoe (could have saved a couple of bucks if I kept the old heel).

I can give updates Monday when I wear them again.

Wore them today, aside from the sole slipping all over the carpet, no sound at all. Need to break in the sole again, but pretty satisfied.

Some photos...

16432479192_81dd4f1962_b.jpg

15813352973_7f406ea7eb_b.jpg

16247160499_a298ae8b49_b.jpg

Sole is made in Italy FWIW and the half heel is vibram. Overall, very clean job. The shoes are 1.5 years old.

(The carpet is really old :hide:)

Last edited:

jko

Reaction score

Would anyone with a pair of Hiro lasted shoes in size 7.5 or 8 UK be willing to provide outsole and insole measurements? I want to make sure that I am choosing the right size on a purchase- according to Meermin's provided measurements, a pair of shoes on the Hiro last in 8 UK would be 11.7 inch outsole and 11 inch insole, which is approximately equal length to my Carminas on Detroit last in size 7 UK. It doesn't make sense that 7 UK Carmina should equal 8 UK Meermin in length, so I was hoping someone could help shed light on the situation.

I wouldn't really recommend judging a shoe size based on outsole measurements (or insole for that matter), as they very much depend on the last. What I would suggest you do is measure your foot length (stand on a piece of paper, thin/no socks, heel to wall, draw a line at your toes, measure) and compare it to the foot measurements Meermin gave you.

Hiro:
L 294 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
W 104 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
L 276 mm last insole 7.5UK
W 099 mm last insole 7.5UK
Foot 25.8 cm 7.5UK

Shoe length increases about 4 mm per half size so you can go from there.

cobashk

Reaction score
I wouldn't really recommend judging a shoe size based on outsole measurements (or insole for that matter), as they very much depend on the last. What I would suggest you do is measure your foot length (stand on a piece of paper, thin/no socks, heel to wall, draw a line at your toes, measure) and compare it to the foot measurements Meermin gave you.
Thanks for the advice! I measure almost 26 cm long in dress socks at the end of the day. Do you think that an 8 UK in Hiro is going to be too long? I could fit into 7.5 but I think the width would be problematic, as my foot width is about 96mm and I like the shoe to have a small amount of wiggle room, but 7.5 shows 99mm insole width.

Jeroen Vriend

Reaction score
Wore them today, aside from the sole slipping all over the carpet, no sound at all. Need to break in the sole again, but pretty satisfied.

Some photos...

16432479192_81dd4f1962_b.jpg

15813352973_7f406ea7eb_b.jpg

16247160499_a298ae8b49_b.jpg

Sole is made in Italy FWIW and the half heel is vibram. Overall, very clean job. The shoes are 1.5 years old.

(The carpet is really old
peepwall[1].gif
)
Got a detail shotr from the stitching?

00Schneider

Reaction score
About Hiro: this is a strange last. My longest foot is 27,7cm. I have boots in size 7,5 (which could be a bit longer) and one pair in 8,5. I ordered Hiro boots in 7,5 / 8,5 and 9. All of them were too short.
So now I exchanged them to size 9,5 which seems ridiculous to me. But I guess the numbers don't matter, only the proper fit.
So I strongly suggest sizing up with Hiro.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indole