• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol.

I have never touched a pair of Meermins (nor do I intend to) but I find it ridiculous that people have to keep qualifying quality evaluations purely because some members are offended by the fact that they compare very well to other makers in the value department.

Do you own shoes from both Meermin and Carmina? You have some strong opinions that run contrary to the prevalent opinion on both makers, so curious if your opinion is based on actual experience or simply reading threads?

Slightly snarky (but no offense intended) translation:

1. Trust the internet, not your own opinion.
2. Don't trust the internet, develop your own opinion.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly snarky (but no offense intended) translation:

1. Trust the internet, not your own opinion.
2. Don't trust the internet, develop your own opinion.

confused.gif
The question was sincere. I own both Meermin and Carmina and like both, but would not say that they are identical in quality. Was curious if OP's opinion was legitimately formed or simply a recitation of what he gleaned from threads and is now passing off as authoritative fact.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to agree that the very lowest priced Carminas can sometimes come down to only 65eu more than the hand-welted Meermins.  Yet the majority of Carmina's product in is the 400-500eu + range.  However, you dismiss the features that make one product more valuable while exagerating the benefits of its competitor (i.e. praising the aesthetics of a fiddleback waist that isn't seen by almost anyone over the proved quality benefits of hand-welting).  So yes, if we were to use such a cost/benefit analysis, Carminas would be the better value than Meermin.  All we have to do is choose Carmina's lowest priced models, fall in love with a rarely seen aesthetic feature, and arbitrarily decide that hand-welting doesn't create a better quality shoe.

These are not academic points. They go to the core of what makes one brand a better value than another.

There are not benefits to a fiddleback. its appearance only as you know. That said, the supposed benefits of hand welting are to me academic since I have not seen or experienced any gemming failures from GY products. If one wants to go to the "i'll own these for 30 years" or something, then maybe the hand welting advantage will come into play. That said, I don't think like that. I have no problem just buying new pairs after the 7 or 8 years I get out of a GY product. If you operate differently, than maybe handwelting is a benefit.

To me, value is determined primarily by appearance, finishing, and overall assembly quality (stitching and such), given that there is a basic quality and durability standard that is a given at this point.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:confused:   The question was sincere.  I own both Meermin and Carmina and like both, but would not say that they are identical in quality.  Was curious if OP's opinion was legitimately formed or simply a recitation of what he gleaned from threads and is now passing off as authoritative fact.

well, the first thing is that what can be gleaned from threads can also be authoratative fact. Pictures, videos, expert opinion etc.

The second thing is that this thread is what, 1 year old? Given the exterior detailings of both brands is somewhat similar, I would imagine it to be difficult to form an opinion on quality based on a few months wear. That is the point in which one must weigh up the information presented to decide the likely winner of any product comparison.

That's not to say that aesthetic preferences shouldn't trump, because they should of course and Quadcammer is fully justified in his aesthetic preference. This is styleforum, not engineeringforum. It's just that aesthetic preference is not often used as the justification, and people seem to have to be almost apologetic when making unfavourable comparisons with other brands as they fear retaliation.

It's this type of atmosphere that hides information from noobs who might genuinely want to know.

kcox68

Reaction score
well, the first thing is that what can be gleaned from threads can also be authoratative fact. Pictures, videos, expert opinion etc.

The second thing is that this thread is what, 1 year old? Given the exterior detailings of both brands is somewhat similar, I would imagine it to be difficult to form an opinion on quality based on a few months wear. That is the point in which one must weigh up the information presented to decide the likely winner of any product comparison.

That's not to say that aesthetic preferences shouldn't trump, because they should of course and Quadcammer is fully justified in his aesthetic preference. This is styleforum, not engineeringforum. It's just that aesthetic preference is not often used as the justification, and people seem to have to be almost apologetic when making unfavourable comparisons with other brands as they fear retaliation.

It's this type of atmosphere that hides information from noobs who might genuinely want to know.
I'll take the hit for the confusion since I'm the one who conflated SL with Carmina. I should know how seriously posters will take their shoes on a message board dedicated to style and be more careful when writing.

Everybody, please consider me properly chastened. I will strive to ensure that I don't personally offend the sensibilities of the various shoe fans in future with less than double proofed research and an editor.
shog[1].gif

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,

Any suggestions for a type of design for hatchgrain calf?I was thinking of a split toe like the EG Dover but a chukka or a wholecut like G&G will also be fantastic.

Would be interested to get some feedback from you guys
smile.gif

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentleman, Any suggestions for a type of design for hatchgrain calf?I was thinking of a split toe like the EG Dover but a chukka or a wholecut like G&G will also be fantastic. Would be interested to get some feedback from you guys
smile.gif
Wholecut chukka?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads