• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Meermin

Any plan to make the Unlined String Loafers in dark brown suede?
I have the brown grain version and I love it

Thanks in advance

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chukkas.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you in Madrid? So jealous that on one street you can buy the Meermins you want then go get Carminas, too.

Then go to El Brillante.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Freoguitar

Reaction score
I've had a similar though much less severe thing happen to my PTBs.

It might not be obvious on these photos as I just applied Colored Saphir Cordovan Cream Polish.

It is more obvious at the fold points after use and currently, I can manage it with the cream polish. Wasn't sure whether this is normal.

I've noticed Aldens and other Horveen Cordovan shoes seem to darken at the folds after a brush to get rid of the bloom.

Maybe it's a Shinki thing but after a brush without using cream, the folds seem to lighten on Meermin Cordovan shoes.

View attachment 1497278 View attachment 1497279
Here is another photo after one wear. I've brushed out the bloom, of which there wasn't much. The color from the cream has come out leaving pale fold lines. Not a big deal but something that seems to be different with Alden Horween shell shoes.
IMG_5147.jpg

joman8390

Reaction score
Here is another photo after one wear. I've brushed out the bloom, of which there wasn't much. The color from the cream has come out leaving pale fold lines. Not a big deal but something that seems to be different with Alden Horween shell shoes. View attachment 1502051
I find that you’re not alone, the Skinki shell has different, less favorable properties than Horween shell.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is another photo after one wear. I've brushed out the bloom, of which there wasn't much. The color from the cream has come out leaving pale fold lines. Not a big deal but something that seems to be different with Alden Horween shell shoes. View attachment 1502051
What you are experiencing is reality, the realization you can’t have shell at the quality of Horween shell, at drastically reduced prices.

All of my Shinki shell boots/shoes from Meermin, are much dryer than my Horween shell shoes/boots. I add Bick or Lexol, depending on shell color. Darker colors get Lexol, lighter colors get Bick. The Lexol helps with the dryness better than Bick, but since Lexol darkens, I won’t use it on my lighter shell. Unfortunately, my experience has been while the conditioners help greatly, the affect is temporary. So, I continue to add conditioner as they exhibit dryness.

Last edited:

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Meermin

Any plan to make the Unlined String Loafers in dark brown suede?
I have the brown grain version and I love it

Thanks in advance
Hello there.
We only make that one brown at the moment, I will put the brown suede down for mto suggestions.
Have a good monday.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you are experiencing is reality, the realization you can’t have Horween shell at drastically reduced prices.

All of my Shinki shell boots/shoes from Meermin, are much dryer than my Horween shell shoes/boots. I add Bick or Lexol, depending on shell colorl. Darker colors get Lexol, lighter colors get Bick. The Lexol helps with the dryness better than Bick, but since Lexol darkens, I won’t use it on my lighter shell. Unfortunately, my experience has been while the conditioners help greatly, the affect is temporary. So, I continue to add conditioner as they exhibit dryness.
Have you tried using vsc on shell? I’m curious of the outcome since vsc has waxes in it.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried using vsc on shell? I’m curious of the outcome since vsc has waxes in it.
Yes I have, my experience has been that it very slightly darkened my light colored shell. Not nearly as severely as Lexol...in addition I found VSC did not moisturize as well as Lexol. VSC, in my experience, adds a much better shine/sheen to my shell than either Bick, or Lexol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads