• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^LM uses paste cork filler as most GYW and some HW RTW shoes (most full cork layer sheet). The squeaky sound in some LM is due to the stiff upper leather IME. Nonetheless great shoes.

dluce76

Reaction score
^LM uses paste cork filler as most GYW and some HW RTW shoes (most full cork layer sheet). The squeaky sound in some LM is due to the stiff upper leather IME. Nonetheless great shoes.

Not sure about the squeak - I have it bad in both the RTW burgundy LM on new Rey and MTO shell adelaides. The adelaides are actually far worse than the other, and the shell definitely isn't stiff. Though the shell adelaides it sounds like it's coming from the sole rather than the upper leather.

dluce76

Reaction score
In case noone has answered, I have a pair of LM HW on the New Rey.

Comparing to Carmina Simpson, which is my best last, the New Rey:
- is longer/more space in toe box;
- tad wider;
- has a less thicker sole (I believe due to the absence of cork when in handwelt construction) = more flexible = feeling more stones/uneven ground;
- makes a squeaky sound when walking;
- leather still kinda stiff after one year.
I have these burgundy cap toe brogues on the new Rey as well. Best fitting last for me at meermin. The upper leather has creased a bit over the years but otherwise I really do enjoy these shoes. You do have to size up though - I'm an 11D in most shoes (10.5 in loafers) and take 10uk in most meermin, but take 10.5uk on new Rey last.

thuhoan

Reaction score
I have these burgundy cap toe brogues on the new Rey as well. Best fitting last for me at meermin. The upper leather has creased a bit over the years but otherwise I really do enjoy these shoes. You do have to size up though - I'm an 11D in most shoes (10.5 in loafers) and take 10uk in most meermin, but take 10.5uk on new Rey last.

Any other brands/lasts that fit similar to the New Rey?

josef1

Reaction score
I'm in need of replacing my work shoes which are some cheap Aldo's. I like meermin's price point, but wanted to know if the quality and durability is on par?

If youre asking if its on par with Aldo, I would objectively say its miles ahead.
If you're asking if it's on par with the more popular goodyear welt brands such as Allen Edmonds or Carmina, it definitely falls below in terms of finishing. Then again those brands are two steps higher in terms of price.
Meermin though I would say might have the best quality and stylings at its price range.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
If youre asking if its on par with Aldo, I would objectively say its miles ahead.
If you're asking if it's on par with the more popular goodyear welt brands such as Allen Edmonds or Carmina, it definitely falls below in terms of finishing. Then again those brands are two steps higher in terms of price.
Meermin though I would say might have the best quality and stylings at its price range.
Seriously? AE and Carmina is on the same level? Well finished Meermin is miles ahead of AE, poorly finished seconds are not much worse than AE. On average Meermin is about the same quality as AE while miles ahead for styling. Not one person in a hundred would even compare AE with Carmina

josef1

Reaction score
Seriously? AE and Carmina is on the same level? Well finished Meermin is miles ahead of AE, poorly finished seconds are not much worse than AE. On average Meermin is about the same quality as AE while miles ahead for styling. Not one person in a hundred would even compare AE with Carmina

You misunderstood. Comparison was made on price range which AEs and Carminas are on the same field. Stylings would be subjective as AEs follow more of the classical American standards and shapes. That's like apples and oranges. I of course would always prefer the stylings of Carmina and Meermins but cant deny the beauty of an AE Strand. Meermins fall a chunk below those price ranges and consistent QC and finishing are far. Premium lines and seconds are a whole other topic

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the squeak - I have it bad in both the RTW burgundy LM on new Rey and MTO shell adelaides. The adelaides are actually far worse than the other, and the shell definitely isn't stiff. Though the shell adelaides it sounds like it's coming from the sole rather than the upper leather.
In your case it could come from the shank.

Alpha11

Reaction score
I not sure where you are getting your Allen Edmond's shoes from or info from however, I would argue the Allen Edmonds are actually better than Meermins.

I own 11 pair of AE and 3 pair of Meermins and can say that I believe my AE are better than my Meermins in construction and material. I just had two pair of AE that were recrafted that I have owned for 8 yrs.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
I not sure where you are getting your Allen Edmond's shoes from or info from however, I would argue the Allen Edmonds are actually better than Meermins.

I own 11 pair of AE and 3 pair of Meermins and can say that I believe my AE are better than my Meermins in construction and material. I just had two pair of AE that were recrafted that I have owned for 8 yrs.
With all due respect, Americans overvalue “made in USA” products than they truly deserve. Specifically for AE, have you bought any AE in the past two years? Direct or indirect from third party retailers? AE’s quality has never been consistent with the products sold by third parties. AE’s QC has also worsen so much more in recent years even you buy directly from them. Lots people posted terrible experience and pictures recently. In my own experience, I only have two AEs, finish may be slightly better than Meermin but leather not as hard wearing.

Alpha11

Reaction score
With all due respect, Americans overvalue “made in USA” products than they truly deserve. Specifically for AE, have you bought any AE in the past two years? Direct or indirect from third party retailers? AE’s quality has never been consistent with the products sold by third parties. AE’s QC has also worsen so much more in recent years even you buy directly from them. Lots people posted terrible experience and pictures recently. In my own experience, I only have two AEs, finish may be slightly better than Meermin but leather not as hard wearing.
I see we have a difference in opinions in regards to Allen Edmond's as well as Meermin. Unfortunately, I do not see either one of us changing each others minds.

To answer your question directly : yes I have purchased Allen Edmond's shoes from their store just a month ago, a pair of their Cornwallis in walnut. The fit and finish is top notch and fit just like the other AE I own.

I can not say the same for the Meermins I have. If you read here on this forum you will learn that I am not alone is my assessment as far as Meermins shoes are concerned.

Cost is relative to one's own financial ability and should not be the defining factor when choosing a product. I am willing to pay the cost I feel is fair for a quality shoe.

Allen Edmond's, Alden, Crockett and Jones, and Edward Green are in my shoe wardrobe because I like their quality and style. With Alden and Allen Edmond's being in the US and their recrafting service makes them all that much more appealing to me.

While I cannot speak for every American, I will say that if it helps keep an American worker employed then I will pay a little be more.

I am always reminded of these old saying: you get what you pay for" and I am too cheap to buy cheap shoes"

Last edited:

Webbo

Reaction score
Could you comment on the sizing/fit please. I cannot see where it says what last they are made on so wonder do they run narrow/wide/long TTS etc.

Thanks

A quick update. I received the unlined loafer in brown calf and will echo all the previous comments on them, superbly comfortable and extremely well made with no QC issues at all. They are a little more aggressively pointed than my usual loafers but even with my wide foot my standard 10.5 UK size fits well TTS, if as little snug, but with the softness of the leather this is no problem. Only wish I had bought them in blue too. Value for money these particular Meermin's take some beating.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick update. I received the unlined loafer in brown calf and will echo all the previous comments on them, superbly comfortable and extremely well made with no QC issues at all. They are a little more aggressively pointed than my usual loafers but even with my wide foot my standard 10.5 UK size fits well TTS, if as little snug, but with the softness of the leather this is no problem. Only wish I had bought them in blue too. Value for money these particular Meermin's take some beating.

Has anyone received the GMTO String Loafers?
The pair I ordered, expected to be delivered late July, was postponed to mid September...

Dichnotfu

Reaction score
Can't help but laugh when people really believe Carmina has a better QC and customer service than Meermin.

SchachMundialECapital

Reaction score
Can't help but laugh when people really believe Carmina has a better QC and customer service than Meermin.

Care to elaborate on that statement, please? With examples, if possible. Many who have been following this thread likely consider that to be inflammatory and not backed by any evidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads