• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gbandi

Reaction score
How would you say the Olfe last is? I'm checking their boots in olfe last, so would be interested as how do they fit?

Boots fits differently . I couldn't fit into balmoral boots in my regular hiro size. Open laces and Chelsea would b regular size.

OfficeLinebacke

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while. I've been super unhappy with Meermin's quality lately. I bought a pair of their italian cordovan plaintoe bluchers and they wear very poorly and within a few weeks of wearing them look lumpy and low quality. I went on to double down on bad decisions and the black longwings in Italian Cordovan arrived and the color is inconsistent. I got busy with life and let more than 30 days pass with them sitting in a box (I got them a few months ago or so, you'll see my post) because I can't wear them seriously. When I saw the Japanese cordovan MTO I thought maybe I could return the Italians because my experience with them sucked so bad. So I emailed Luisa, she refused to do a return/exchange for the new batch of Japanese.

I know I am outside the window, but the fact is, I'm seriously disappointed with 2/3 of the pairs of shoes I've gotten from them. When I first found out about this brand I was so hopeful, and the first pair of shoes I got from them was fantastic. Unfortunately, their quality is at best widely variant, and at worst has simply declined to territory waaay below their price.

TL;DR stay away from their Italian Cordovan. It's terrible.

iurvox

Reaction score
So I emailed Luisa, she refused to do a return/exchange for the new batch of Japanese.
Excuse my enquiry but how can one contact Luisa? I've been trying to get a hold of someone at Meermin on a partial non-delivery that set me back EUR 160. They only delivered 1 pair whereas I ordered 2 (with payment in advance). Totally unimpressed by their communication so far, no replies to my emails.

zanci

Reaction score
Their communication (1 year ago) about some shell mto was excelent. Replied the same day and almost gave a 50% discount when the shoe was not perfect (some scuffs). I was and am very satisfied. Japanese shell is beautiful, however very stiff. Needed 20 full day wears (so even more because I couldnt wear them a long time in the begining). Now they fit good, but not perfect. The rui last just isnt for me.

The non shell double monks in hiro are my perfect fit. Like a glove, love them.

Must resist the olive green mto...

Lucky that its only the monks in green, id 100% grab the loafers ...

chrfi

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while. I've been super unhappy with Meermin's quality lately. I bought a pair of their italian cordovan plaintoe bluchers and they wear very poorly and within a few weeks of wearing them look lumpy and low quality. I went on to double down on bad decisions and the black longwings in Italian Cordovan arrived and the color is inconsistent.

I've ordered two pairs of cordorvan PTB's from them this year. I had to return the Cigar ones as the color was very inconsistent with black spots etc - no problem returning them, though. I kept the black ones, but it's very easy to see that they are not as well made as more expensive brands. They do indeed start to look worn in a wrong way very quickly.

I know that many people are happy with their Meermins, but I guess I just have to save a bit more and go with more expensive brands.

thatitalian

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while. I've been super unhappy with Meermin's quality lately. I bought a pair of their italian cordovan plaintoe bluchers and they wear very poorly and within a few weeks of wearing them look lumpy and low quality. I went on to double down on bad decisions and the black longwings in Italian Cordovan arrived and the color is inconsistent. I got busy with life and let more than 30 days pass with them sitting in a box (I got them a few months ago or so, you'll see my post) because I can't wear them seriously. When I saw the Japanese cordovan MTO I thought maybe I could return the Italians because my experience with them sucked so bad. So I emailed Luisa, she refused to do a return/exchange for the new batch of Japanese.

I know I am outside the window, but the fact is, I'm seriously disappointed with 2/3 of the pairs of shoes I've gotten from them. When I first found out about this brand I was so hopeful, and the first pair of shoes I got from them was fantastic. Unfortunately, their quality is at best widely variant, and at worst has simply declined to territory waaay below their price.

TL;DR stay away from their Italian Cordovan. It's terrible.
This is why I never buy them at full price. I always get them from the eBay shop for this reason. I have had similar experiences which I why I will be eventually switching to Carmina, J Fitzpatrick, Septieme Largeu and Skolyx (Yanko) when I upgrade my wardrobe.

iurvox

Reaction score
Thank you.
Happy to report that Luisa answered my email almost instantly, and she promised that Meermin will ship the 2nd pair of shoes next week. So I guess that this issue will be fully resolved when the shoes arrive in around 2 weeks from today, and unless I will provide an update, this forum community can consider the case settled. Thank you for bearing with me.

BTW, I do think that the proportions of Meermin shoes, especially when it comes to the beautiful shape of their lasts, is second to none in the price range up to EUR 250.

josef1

Reaction score
This is why I never buy them at full price. I always get them from the eBay shop for this reason. I have had similar experiences which I why I will be eventually switching to Carmina, J Fitzpatrick, Septieme Largeu and Skolyx (Yanko) when I upgrade my wardrobe.

Is this from goodyearshoes? Been curious about this and I've been waiting on a style/size that I like.
How do the pairs sold here compare to the ones direct from Meermin? :)

thatitalian

Reaction score
Is this from goodyearshoes? Been curious about this and I've been waiting on a style/size that I like.
How do the pairs sold here compare to the ones direct from Meermin? :)
Precisely.

They obviously vary but the 3-4 pairs I have bought from eBay vs the 4 pairs I have bought directly from Meermin do not have overly noticeable differences. I bought a pair of burgundy tassel loafers from the eBay shop and they were pretty much flawless, and I paid £75 for them. Bargain.

Normally there are only slight imperfections or scuffs, etc, which can be solved with a good polish! Just make sure you check the photos.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never purchased this brand at full price I too seen that googyearshoes had them on ebay so I decided to try the brand out first. I have to say that $35us for shipping is a bit on the high side considering on all my pairs it has taken them up to a week after paid to actually ship and then another week for the shoes to show up. Usually for $35 you get DHL and that comes in 1 to 2 days for me from that area.

Anyways as for the quality at least for the several I have bought from ebay they seem OK. I would rank them below Carlos Santos and way below Carmina. I think this is in alignment too as Meermin is priced below CS so stands to reason that you are getting what you are paying for.

I will have to wait to see how they hold up over time but honestly if you are getting them off ebay I think it's a great deal. My only issue with buying them off ebay is sometimes the price goes almost to the cost of new from Meermin. Both Meermin and GYS charge $35 for shipping so that is a wash. But I have see Meermin shoes that sell on the site new for $175 go for $160 on ebay so what is the point just buy it new with a full warranty. Admittedly I have also see some less popular models/colors go for $75 (even less) so that is a bargain. But I would say for on average a $175 shoe new sells for $115 on ebay.

As for the fit not sure either I still have to break them all in to see how they really fit. Out of the box for my foot they don't see to fit me as well as my CS, JF, Carmina... but fit sometimes needs time. I have a pair of Cobbler Union boots that I got from Massdrop that I just hated out of the box wow such terrible fit. But since they could not be returned I decided I had to at the very least try. After a many painful attempts they loosened up and now fit like a glove. But I have to say I probably will never buy that brand or at least last again.

gbandi

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. I have given up on Meermin since I have explored better brands. Their leather is too stiff, lays are little tighter and takes for ever for break in. I always have to think twice before I wear them for a long day

Bojan Zebic

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. I have given up on Meermin since I have explored better brands. Their leather is too stiff, lays are little tighter and takes for ever for break in. I always have to think twice before I wear them for a long day

Hmm generally the thicker and stiffer leather is more durable and lasts longer. Usually the leathers from the best tanneries like D'Annonay or DuPuy are both thick and stiff. As Meermin uses D'annonay calf leather I would say this is the reason. If you like your shoes generally to have soft leather I would advise on museum calfs and especially from Ilcea but then don't expect not to creases on them after wearing them couple of times, as soft (generally thinner leather) and longevity don't go together. Second advice to everyone who is into softer flexible shoes is to choose blake stitched shoes not goodyear as goodyear generally makes shoes stiffer.

And as for Meermin they're great and a real value brand for a machine goodyear welted shoes. Looking currently at the prices the boots for example at 220€ are fine price and that's how much I would pay for a machine welted shoes. The Carmina at 450€ for a machine goodyear welted boots is heavily overpriced, when you can go to Vass and for 560€ as a walk in buyer get not only a hand welted boots (which you would usually pay in UK over 1000€) but totally design them by yourself.
I always make a drawing by myself of the design then choose the leathers, colours, the thickness of the sole and heel and I'm not talking about single or double soles here, I'm talking about exact thickness in cm, as I have exact measurement I like my shoes to be, burnishing etc. And you know they're the only one in the world. For durability I usually choose DuPuy leather which yes is stiffer than Ilcea for example but I like stiffer leather much more than soft as for me that is the sign of quality.
So yes for Meermin I would definitely pay 220€ (for example their scotch grains are great) and you get a goodyear welt but for Carmina and similar brands I would never as I can get for the same money my own dream shoes that are hand welted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads