• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Med gray wool pants ok at summer party?

Farmgate

Reaction score
I am attending a summer party next week with a bunch of good-humored commercial litigators. The party is part-house warming, part-business casual, with most of the attendees from our office or our competitor's offices.

I know most of the guys there will wear jeans or chinos, with a white button down, or polos, and I don't want to look like every other guy.

I have a pair of medium gray wool dress trousers, which are tailored-tight. I was thinking of pairing them with brown semi-dress Italian loafers and an untucked long-sleeve sport shirt wih the sleeves rolled up , no socks, for a kind of a dressy/sophisticated/Milan-sporty look.

Can I pull it off with these dress trousers:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-bla...resultback=511

I know how you all feel about hugo...but these pants look good.

Thanks for any advice.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics would be good for determining how well this will work out for you. As it stands, I'm finding it difficult to imagine well.

arvidg

Reaction score
Wait a minute. Medium gray wool dress trousers with an untucked long-sleeve sport shirt?

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you mean by a sport shirt, you're either 1) trolling or 2) thinking of an outfit that would have way too much contrast wrt formality to work well. (But by all means, do post photos.)

I think the trousers could work, paired with an informal shirt, e.g. one of these:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shi...3761,2176,2181,2186,||||||||&ppp=48&browse=Y#

...tucked in, and with the sleeves rolled up.

(EDIT: Fixed link.)

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
seriously

Considering that many of you will pay >= USD $60 for Mabitex, which inevitably splits down the rear in my experience, I'd say that this guy is in good company at SF.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your going to wear the grey trousers, I would tuck in the shirt.

Is the party inside or outside, that will determine what you wear. Linen pants and a button down shirt would be my choice.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
I am attending a summer party next week with a bunch of good-humored commercial litigators...

LIAR! There's no such thing!
biggrin.gif

GBer

Reaction score
Linen or linen/blend for pants - it's summer, no?

Farmgate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arvidg
Wait a minute. Medium gray wool dress trousers with an untucked long-sleeve sport shirt?

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you mean by a sport shirt, you're either 1) trolling or 2) thinking of an outfit that would have way too much contrast wrt formality to work well. (But by all means, do post photos.)

I think the trousers could work, paired with an informal shirt, e.g. one of these:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shi...3761,2176,2181,2186,||||||||&ppp=48&browse=Y#

...with the sleeves rolled up.

Sorry, your link didn't work...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably over dressed.

There are times when "and I don't want to look like every other guy." is patently wrong and this is one. It is informal so match the informality not set yourseld apart as if to say "I'm better than you lot".

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about pairing them with a collegiate sweatshirt?

arvidg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
Sorry, your link didn't work...
OK; I tried fixing it, but if it still doesn't work for you, try http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ and click on "shirts", then "casual shirts". (Oh, and I agree that linen is probably more approperiate than wool in this context. I wouldn't buy wool trousers for a party like this, but mid gray wool trousers are very versatile in other contexts, e.g. as "office pants" for business casual.)

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this informal gathering in the day or evening?

If it is in the day...then the color, medium grey, and the cloth choice: flannel, is just fine...although if its a warm summer day...why flannel?

For an evening gathering, medium grey is traditionally not appropriate (navy and black is)...and flannel was always frowned upon as an evening cloth.

In casual evening family/friend gatherings, I found flannels best suited in the colder days of fall, winter and spring.

With fellow litigators, at an informal summer evening gathering....medium grey flannels are the absolute worst choice IMO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads