• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McMansion or not?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Those are just called mansions. Nothing wrong with them.

No, IMO, there is a subtle difference. The unable to afford McMansion accuser feels that the owner of said McMansion thinks they are better than them but they came from the same beginnings. Mansion owners are far enough above their SES, that while also jealous, it takes on a different tone. The unable to afford McMansion person carries a tone of, "You think you're better than me?"

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
We looked at those things when we were searching for a home and the quality of the materials horrified us. Of course, it could have been the application of okay materials, but foam baseboard? Laminate wood? Run...
I find it Ironic that most of those things are nearly as expensive or even more expensive than 'luxurious' materials. For instance my father decided to replace the deck that he built about 7 years ago since the plastic fantastic decking material (treks) didn't hold up at all. He planned to also expand it to allow for a larger table and more seating room. Treks was somewhere about $6/sq ft and Solid Ipe was around $4. Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) is what he decided on since the treks lasted far fewer years than what they told him they would. I made a pretty good pitch for natural building materials and rainforest hardwoods and he's since gone with it. My selling point was that Princeton township uses hardwoods for their benches and other items that sit outside with no one taking care of them.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
No, IMO, there is a subtle difference. The unable to afford McMansion accuser feels that the owner of said McMansion thinks they are better than them but they came from the same beginnings. Mansion owners are far enough above their SES, that while also jealous, it takes on a different tone. The unable to afford McMansion person carries a tone of, "You think you're better than me?"

uh....

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I will be visiting Atlanta in May. I'll be glad to drive by your place and let you know my vote yeah or nay as to its McMansionability. Perhaps it will qualify as swankienda.

drool.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I find it Ironic that most of those things are nearly as expensive or even more expensive than 'luxurious' materials. For instance my father decided to replace the deck that he built about 7 years ago since the plastic fantastic decking material (treks) didn't hold up at all. He planned to also expand it to allow for a larger table and more seating room. Treks was somewhere about $6/sq ft and Solid Ipe was around $4. Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) is what he decided on since the treks lasted far fewer years than what they told him they would. I made a pretty good pitch for natural building materials and rainforest hardwoods and he's since gone with it. My selling point was that Princeton township uses hardwoods for their benches and other items that sit outside with no one taking care of them.
Cedar plus pressure treated wood seems to be working really well for us. The key is to use a semi-solid or solid stain as that increases longevity. As for the other discussion on homes, I think it is a myth that all McMansions use inferior materials unless that is the definition of McMansion you are using. In the Atlanta suburbs most of the construction is 2x6 framing plus Hardie plank siding or brick. Foundations are poured concrete and multiple layers of that spray-on water barrier - the clay here is strong so this is required. Every house I looked at probably was not a McMansion given the land but it had copper pipes, I beams for flooring, hardwood floors, appliances, and was generally well built. My brother is a successful commercial contractor and he checked out the construction with me. It likely depends on the area of the country. We have lots of Mexican workers here doing the framing and when we built our house I showed up every few days with food and drinks for the workers. My brother said they did an A+ job on the framing which he feels is critical. The only issue we have had is a pinhole sized leak in the AC cooling pipe which we have fixed. Perhaps a better definition of McMansion is one where you can open a side window and reach out and touch the neighbors home. I've seen that it is so odd.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll let you know how it works out, but it's Ipe treated with tung oil as a finish (not to be confused with 'tung oil finish').

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I think it is a myth that all McMansions use inferior materials unless that is the definition of McMansion you are using. In the Atlanta suburbs most of the construction is 2x6 framing plus Hardie plank siding or brick.
Artificial siding is the McMansion's signature feature. If it's not natural timber, slate (and other metamorphic rock), ceramic brick, stone, raw concrete, or unprocessed metal, it shouldn't be on the side of any building. In fact, it shouldn't be exposed anywhere in the house. The only acceptable processed materials are vapor barriers and insulation.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Artificial siding is the McMansion's signature feature. If it's not natural timber, slate (and other metamorphic rock), ceramic brick, stone, raw concrete, or unprocessed metal, it shouldn't be on the side of any building. In fact, it shouldn't be exposed anywhere in the house. The only acceptable processed materials are vapor barriers and insulation.

So what do you use for interior walls and ceilings in your non-mcmansion?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
natural timber, slate (and other metamorphic rock), ceramic brick, stone, raw concrete, or unprocessed metal

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i'm not sure i've ever lived in a home that didn't use a lot of dry wall or plaster

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Plaster is raw concrete with a different aggregate source. Concrete refers to the chemical reaction of hardening caused by the cement, water and lime. Instead of gravel and sand which concrete concrete uses, plaster uses simply crushed chalk/stone mixtures, sand, and a form of clay pigment if desired.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

That is not quite right. Hardie plank is not an inferior material for siding. It's engineered yes but for good reason - durable with paint, termite proof, etc.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
That is not quite right. Hardie plank is not an inferior material for siding. It's engineered yes but for good reason - durable with paint, termite proof, etc.

Yes. It is inferior.

Hannerhan

Reaction score

But it looks like ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads