• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MBA / Finance wardrobe

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
aah OK. Opposite the Marriott.

Yup, for me it makes the trip to bridgewater worth it, since bloomingdales is really hit or miss in bridgewater.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
as others said, this was not my experience at all. many of the best jobs go to people who summer interned at the company after Y1, and these jobs are filled well, well before the first year is complete.

Yes, most companies do not hire full-time outside of their intern pools. In many cases these interns are completely hired prior to end of 1st semester, 1st year, before students have completed a single class.

Regarding french cuffs. Students do wear them. These are generally students who think "more is better", ie the guy I mentioned previously who had a Vacheron constantin watch and $400 Brioni shirt, he wore cufflinks. So some students do it. You gotta ask yourself, do you wanna be that guy? Oh by the way this guy wore KC brown slip ons every day.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Yes, most companies do not hire full-time outside of their intern pools. In many cases these interns are completely hired prior to end of 1st semester, 1st year, before students have completed a single class.

Regarding french cuffs. Students do wear them. These are generally students who think "more is better", ie the guy I mentioned previously who had a Vacheron constantin watch and $400 Brioni shirt, he wore cufflinks. So some students do it. You gotta ask yourself, do you wanna be that guy? Oh by the way this guy wore KC brown slip ons every day.

So by your measure its OK to do that sort of spending on the shoes? Or, If you do, you should include the shoes?

I'm amazed that a SFer would knock someone for wearing nice dress shirts and a nice watch as being 'that guy'.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

facepalm.gif

Yeah, I wanna be that guy with a VC watch. Still my shirts are bespoke and I wear Vass not Kenneth Cole.

It's a job interview not a meeting with a political officer of the North Korean army!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont want to rip tarmac, but it just seemed a bit hypocritical.

I like to tone it down for interviews, which means a Black Label suit, White button down (RL), Polo or PL tie and a pair of black AE wingtips.

Maybe I'm 'that guy' and i dont even know it.

I should really pony up and buy a solid charcoal suit in a modest cut (polo I or BB GF) and a pair of boring black cap toes. Everytime i go to do just that i find something i'd rather own.

rammie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I dont want to rip tarmac, but it just seemed a bit hypocritical.

I like to tone it down for interviews, which means a Black Label suit, White button down (RL), Polo or PL tie and a pair of black AE wingtips.

Maybe I'm 'that guy' and i dont even know it.

I should really pony up and buy a solid charcoal suit in a modest cut (polo I or BB GF) and a pair of boring black cap toes. Everytime i go to do just that i find something i'd rather own.

IMHO it's not about what you wear, it's how you wear it. "That guy" will probably be "that guy" in a more discreet outfit as well since he will have that flair for being "that guy". Said person will probably look over-confident and still be "that guy" in a more toned down outfit whereas Average Joe might not, hence it's not about what you wear.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
also the idea that PE/VC/Hedge Funds/any other elite industries begging for your services is kind of lol, particularly in this economy. there are only a handful of these job to go around at even H/S/W

Yes, but if you're really, really, really, really, really good...you get to live in secret underground bunker.

Just don't tell Manton.

why4009

Reaction score
save the cuffs for a special occassion. or if your really shooting to overdo it wear braces and a shirt where the collar and the rest of the shirt are different fabrics and cufflinks with pictures of playboy playmates. Search for pics of Gordon Gekko.
laugh.gif

super

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limousine11
I think I want to get an mba in strategy consulting but I dont know what it is, how many hours the average person in that field works, and the average starting pay an the pay for someone thats been working in the field for 5,10,20 years? can some one answer my question?

If you don't know what it is and you want to get into it... then you don't know what you're getting into!

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limousine11
I think I want to get an mba in strategy consulting but I dont know what it is, how many hours the average person in that field works, and the average starting pay an the pay for someone thats been working in the field for 5,10,20 years? can some one answer my question?

2005 data points...

Starting salary out of B School: ~$115k; bonus 10% - 30% depending on performance

Salary 5 years out (you are 2 - 3 yrs from becoming a partner): all in anywhere between $275 - $350K

Hours: vary between firms but expect anywhere between 12 - 16 hour days.

Above stats for the likes of McK, BCG, Bain.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canal Directo
facepalm.gif

Yeah, I wanna be that guy with a VC watch. Still my shirts are bespoke and I wear Vass not Kenneth Cole.

It's a job interview not a meeting with a political officer of the North Korean army!

I'd rather be the guy with the VC job than the VC watch for now
smile.gif

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
2005 data points...

Starting salary out of B School: ~$115k; bonus 10% - 30% depending on performance

Salary 5 years out (you are 2 - 3 yrs from becoming a partner): all in anywhere between $275 - $350K

Hours: vary between firms but expect anywhere between 12 - 16 hour days.

Above stats for the likes of McK, BCG, Bain.

They're roughly the same these days. I think maybe 120 base with a 20k sign-on these days. The best part is that if some of these firms want you bad enough after your internship, you can negotiate for them to pay your 2nd year B-School tuition. This is very rare if not impossible in I-Banking.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tqd1
They're roughly the same these days. I think maybe 120 base with a 20k sign-on these days. The best part is that if some of these firms want you bad enough after your internship, you can negotiate for them to pay your 2nd year B-School tuition. This is very rare if not impossible in I-Banking.

I think that would be very firm specific. I remember during my B School days McKinsey, BCG, and Bain did not fund the 2nd yr for interns who accepted a full time offer (I had interned at one of them and very closely followed what happened to the other two). I do recall that Deloitte took care of 2nd yr tuition fee for returning interns. I wouldn't be surprised that some of their direct competitors (Accenture, etc) did the same to remain competitive.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carollesteru