• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"masculine" fragrances ?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Gucci Rush still. One of the first bottles I ever bought.

I'm wearing Equipage today. It's masculine, but not aggressively so. It's got a barbershop vibe but the thing note I first smell is carnations.

Aramis is a brutal, macho leather.

Azzaro Pour Homme is a very 70's, hairy chested scent. Aramis Tuscany is a decendant of that one, and also very butch.

The OP mentioned Yatagan - that's a manly as it gets.

escheriff

Reaction score
Dunhill For Mean (the older, discontinued one, in the clear bottle with the black cap). It is more or less the original Dunhill for Men which has been sold since the 1940s. I saw a copy of an advertisement taken from an old New Yorker or Illustrated London News from the 1940s, and right there is the Dunhill For Men that I'm wearing now. Cool to have something with a vintage appeal like that.
Even though it was discontinued in 2003, you can still pick it up on eBay.

Originally Posted by DWFII
I never start threads but ....

I am thinking "masculine" like George C. Scott or Earnest Hemingway, Humphrey Bogart...that sort of thing.

I suspect there has to be an element of "dirt"--ie. work smells like wood shavings, leather, hempen cordage, tar or rough weather.

I am thinking of several that, for me, fit into this category:

Fumidus by Profumum--Scotch, tobacco maybe a little leather

Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal --wood smoke

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Studios--tobacco

Fireside Intense " " --wood smoke

Yatagan by Caron...kind of

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Any others?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't sampled everything mentioned although some, like the Polo Black, I've sniffed at cologne counters in Macy's. But of all on my list, the Fumidus is hard to beat for pure hard-ahead masculinity.

I like the Yatagan but sometimes it seems a little beside the point--like an odor that you wouldn't necessarily associate with a EDT or EDP. Probably just skin chemistry...some days it all works, sometimes not so much.

And Annick Goutal's Eau du Fier is one I hoard.

I have a fairly recent decant of Kolniche Jucten that I think is pleasant and I actually like it better than the vintage stuff I had. I also have a decant of Creed vintage Tabarome which I like pretty well although I only have a small amount of that left. And Pacal Moribito's Or Black is good on the right day too.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discontinued? That sucks, I ran out of it about a year ago, never had problems with the spray mechanism though. The sides fell off instead. Jil Sander Sunmen is another I really like.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Gucci Rush for Men is a good example; too bad it's discontinued. It's really quite a surprisingly wonderful patchouli/spice scent.

bad packaging, though... a very masculine, classic scent in that weird antiseptic 23rd century plastic sprayer (that always kept breaking!)

Comme des garcons Man 2 is another.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Gucci Rush for Men is a good example; too bad it's discontinued. It's really quite a surprisingly wonderful patchouli/spice scent.

bad packaging, though... a very masculine, classic scent in that weird antiseptic 23rd century plastic sprayer (that always kept breaking!)

Comme des garcons Man 2 is another.

I prefer the unisex Comme 2 rather than the mens, more for sentimental reasons.

But as for manly fragrances, I think the Burberry London is very good. Very woody/leathery and lasts ages. Very much a winter fragrance though.

hidepenny

Reaction score
definintely davidoff cool water, or any gilette aftershave
facepalm.gif

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
where do you guys try/buy these colognes?
Most department stores won't carry the more obscure or high quality houses. You have to find a outlet that deals only in fragrances. For instance, I don't think that Eau du Fier is available in the US at all, nor as far as I know, is Fumidus. The best bet for the hard to find stuff, however is to go to The Perfumed Court. You can search by name or notes or general classifications such as "aquatics" or even by gender. You can buy small samplers or "decants" in as small a quantity as 1ml or 2, 5, and to 10 ml atomizers. I've given Christmas presents to my wife and daughters of Parfumes that would run literally $1k for the standard ounce(?) bottle you might see in Macys. And I've spent less that $50.00. A 10ml bottle that will last either of my daughters six months or so...depending on how frequently and heavily it is used; or until they get tired of them. It is interesting to note that Eau du Cologne is the weakest (most dilute) fragrance. Most mens fragrances are Eau du Toilettes, most womens are Eau du Parfum.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Luckyscent is a good source for several niche fragrance brands. I smelled Fumidus there a few years ago. They have a web store and they sell samples, and a B&M store in LA.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
where do you guys try/buy these colognes?

to add to DFW's answer, some of the better lines will mail samples if you ask. Malle, Ormonde Jayne, etc will send samples. Also, Neimans, Barneys, and Saks have some of the better lines, but availability depends on the locale.

Taking it a step further, some scent boards have swap pages or groups, and decant sales (mostly off-board but can be found).

Rambo has a split thread as well, where you can propose a bottle for split and (if the split has enough participants) have a decant without splashing out full-bottle cash. Then there's the SF swap box that's had two trips around the country: the last couple of times we took requests.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics