1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Marco Valentino Suits? Any thoughts/experience?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JCM, Feb 26, 2008.

1. JCM

JCM Senior member

2. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

You may want to check AAAC. The M Valentino suits come from the same seller as Baroni and have received much more attention there.

3. wedgehead98

wedgehead98 Well-Known Member

I picked up the navy pin stripe from Jeff at Wizard of Aaahs...very nice suit. My tailor had high marks for it. Construction is well done, details are nice. Pick stitching is machine made, but I personally can't tell the difference (which has to do with my ignorance and inexperience.)

The pants are very slim cut (I needed the seat let out just a touch. The shoulders are neither roped nor natural...somewhere in between. The fabric is really nice.

It seems to me that at the price point of $300, it is better than a lot of other suits and every bit the equivalent of other manufacturers that you can find at $300 through the B&S forum here, or on ebay, etc.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does he also sell Keyton, Ralf Lauren, George Armani???[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Pedantic Turkey

Pedantic Turkey Senior member

Either guy has a bunch of shills running around online, or the suits ain't half bad.

6. JCM

JCM Senior member

Does he also sell Keyton, Ralf Lauren, George Armani???[​IMG]

LOL!

7. Budwardo

Budwardo Member

Mine came yesterday. Very pleased with it especially for the price (my local custom men's shop said it looked like a $1,000 tux). Sorry, no pics. Tux in for minor alterations.

8. Haruspex

Haruspex Well-Known Member

I got one based on the AAAC review and was pretty pleased. The jacket was huge, but alterable, and the pants were surprisingly nice. I might just order more for odd trousers.

It was reassuring that my favorite tailor (Mario Bosco, in Atlanta) was quite complimentary about the construction. He's been scathing towards some of my other suits, especially Zegna, so I tend to respect his honesty.

The best part was dealing with Jeff ('The Wizard? -- dunno). Extremely helpful and communicative.

9. Haruspex

Damn. Should have read closer: I got the Baroni, not the MV. Customer service would remain the same, of course.

10. Pedantic Turkey

Haruspex: did you get the size "40" or the size "38"?

Because based on the measurements I think I'd get a "38" with my 40" chest...

11. Haruspex

Well, again, it was the Baroni. I'm a 42L and that's what I ordered given my ignorance of the cut. The shoulders turned out to be fine, but you could have made a quilt out of what was left over from tailoring the waist and skirt, suppressed to fit the rest of my torso. The pants, as mentioned prior, were quite slim, but that was actually quite to my taste.

Good workhorse suit. The keyhole lapel buttonhole is a little odd, but that's a quibble for the price.

12. Pedantic Turkey

Oh-- I just went by your profile which says 40...

BTW I have a Canali which is one of my favorite jackets-- and it's got a keyhole lapel... but JC Penny suits don't, IIRC.

13. wedgehead98

And that's the point...great workhorse suits for everyday office wear. It's even a great first suit if you don't want to spend a lot..I have 6 Baroni's and 2 M. Valentino's. I also have 2 Corneliani's and 2 Isaia's that I wear to special occasions.

I can hunt and peck on the B&S forum or Ebay looking for $300-$400 Polo suit (or equivalent) and the options are very limited, or I can go right to Jeff's store and pick from a larger inventory. By the way - he provides special pricing to sf and aaac members. Just ask him.

It only bothers me a little that friends and family honestly can't tell the difference between my $300 Wizard suits and my $1000 suits. I'm sure the more sartorially inclined people could see the difference but that's <<<<<0.1% of the population I find here in San Diego.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Pedantic Turkey

I tell you, the option to buy extra trousers (in different styles, no less) at $90 apiece is very appealing.

Have you tried the "basket weave" fabric? Jeff says it's cooler in the summer...

15. Haruspex

P. Turkey, sorry about the data entry error on my profile. It's corrected, now.

That's interesting about the keyhole lapel, uh, hole. I never associated as pro or contra quality, it just was something I noticed. As for the suit, I'll be interested to see how it behaves over time, if the canvas conforms and settles in to my build. Eventually, I'll probably get a few, just for the rigors of business travel.

16. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I think Jeff, the seller, changes the names of his suits every so often.

I actually have a Mantoni tuxedo that I purchased from him a few years ago and while the quality is good, it's certainly not top of the line as in RL Purple Label or something like that. I would put it at around the same quality as a mid-range off-the-rack brand like Hugo Boss, Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein. It's not quite up to the level of my Joseph Abboud suits or a Canali, but it's not bad.

Also for the price point ($140 at the time) and considering I wear my tux maybe once or twice a year, it was well worth the investment.

The other point to make is, he provides excellent customer service. I am a 42L as well and the first tux he sent me was incorrectly marked. He responded immediately to my e-mail, paid for the return shipping and sent out the proper sized one immediately.

17. Pedantic Turkey

I dunno-- I asked him about the "Valentino" suits, whether separate pants were available, whether the ones with the same color and fabric description as the "Baroni" would match.

He seemed offended by the suggestion. Heh.

18. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    I have a Baroni suit from Spardello's in North Providence, RI... bought back when I didn't know better. I have to say that for $200 completely tailored, I was surprised by how much suit I got. I also got a Baroni cashmere overcoat... $250 and made with 100% cashmere; tailored as well, I couldn't really go wrong. They were gifts, so I didn't pay for any of it.

Both say they're Made in Italy (like a Gucci handbag is made in Italy) and I've had them for over 2 years now... the quality is impressive for the price. I wear the coat almost every day, and it looks new, but that's cashmere for ya.

If you get it cheap enough, they aren't bad for basic pieces.

As for Spardello's... they aren't the best tailors, their selection doesn't get better than Baroni, they charge too much (the jacket started at $1600), you need to negotiate like you were buying a car and don't even THINK about asking for a refund.

19. wedgehead98

I think Jeff, the seller, changes the names of his suits every so often.

I actually have a Mantoni tuxedo that I purchased from him a few years ago and while the quality is good, it's certainly not top of the line as in RL Purple Label or something like that. I would put it at around the same quality as a mid-range off-the-rack brand like Hugo Boss, Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein. It's not quite up to the level of my Joseph Abboud suits or a Canali, but it's not bad.

Also for the price point ($140 at the time) and considering I wear my tux maybe once or twice a year, it was well worth the investment.

The other point to make is, he provides excellent customer service. I am a 42L as well and the first tux he sent me was incorrectly marked. He responded immediately to my e-mail, paid for the return shipping and sent out the proper sized one immediately.

I'm sure the M. Valentino comes from a different source than the Baroni...or, at least it's a very different product line from the same source. They are cut very differently and the fabrics are way different too. I don't think this is simply renaming an existing product.

The M. Valentino's don't have pants available separately at all. But the Baroni's do. The Mantoni's are made by the same source as the Baroni's, but it is definitely the lowest cost/price line.

20. damin

damin Member

Seems like the option to buy a 2nd set of pants used to be much more commonplace years ago.

Having a hard time calculating how true to size the Marco Valentino suits are??