• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mandelli Leather Jackets

deaddog

Reaction score
Anybody have hands-on experience and can comment on quality and fit? I've only seen these for sale from one guy on ebay - nobody else. The name pops up here on SF but no substantive comments and never for sale on B&S

Thanks

hammer07

Reaction score
I have a suede jacket. Seems to be of pretty high quality. I've had Cucinelli and Tom Ford suede jackets before and I don't think there's a big difference in quality.

Blackunderpants

Reaction score
I have a suede jacket. Seems to be of pretty high quality. I've had Cucinelli and Tom Ford suede jackets before and I don't think there's a big difference in quality.
Just a question. How does one go through three suede jackets? Is that all you wear or do you get tired with them easily?
smile.gif

deaddog

Reaction score
Thanks - can you offer an opinoin on fit - as slim as cucinelli, which i regard as slim to very slim?

hammer07

Reaction score

Just a question. How does one go through three suede jackets? Is that all you wear or do you get tired with them easily? :)

Haha, I sold the others because they didn't fit me well at all.

deaddog said:
Thanks - can you offer an opinoin on fit - as slim as cucinelli, which i regard as slim to very slim?

I would say a similar fit. Not excessively slim.

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Old topic but live update
I was in Italy last week and bought some Mandelli jackets from their boutique and one was not my size and their artisans are making it for my measurements , it will be ready in May. Never had Mandelli before

Attachments

• leather1.jpg
    leather1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 67
  • leather2.jpg
    leather2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 63
  • sued1.jpg
    sued1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 67
  • sued2.jpg
    sued2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 68
  • suede1.jpg
    suede1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 300
  • suede2.jpg
    suede2.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 301

PSNY

Reaction score
Mandelli is sublime, above Loro Piana in it and finish in my opinion. Kired also makes phenomenal outerwear, they've gotten better the last two seasons and are inching very close on their high end garments to Mandelli and Loro.

Last edited:

bluespirit

Reaction score
What about Valstar's leather jackets?

[French manufacturers Seraphin and Chapal are also known for their leather jackets.]

haloitsme

Reaction score
Old topic but live update
I was in Italy last week and bought some Mandelli jackets from their boutique and one was not my size and their artisans are making it for my measurements , it will be ready in May. Never had Mandelli before
If you like Mandelli and want to step up a bit more, you can go Hettabretz.

It is sublime, i also highly recommend Alfredo Rifugio
Yes does are also nice, but I would only recommend if you like light leather jackets.

Mandelli is sublime, above Loro Piana in it and finish in my opinion. Kired also makes phenomenal outerwear, they've gotten better the last two seasons and are inching very close on their high end garments to Mandelli and Loro.
LP is not so high as many think in terms of construction but very high on material, however, you pay for it.
Kired are nice also.
But it’s different, you compare south to north.

PSNY

Reaction score
Kired is not much if any different than Kiton. In terms of comparison to say LP or others, it depends, construction is similar. LP materials are superior to nearly everyone due to vertical integration, but Kired, Kiton, Mandelli, even Valstar (another favorite) all use LP fabrics e.g., storm shield, wish, etc

haloitsme

Reaction score
Kired is not much if any different than Kiton. In terms of comparison to say LP or others, it depends, construction is similar. LP materials are superior to nearly everyone due to vertical integration, but Kired, Kiton, Mandelli, even Valstar (another favorite) all use LP fabrics e.g., storm shield, wish, etc
Kired is very similar to Kiton, yes.
And I tell you, LP fabrics are not the best, there are many other fabric supplier. It depends what material you are searching for.
And also not true that the fabric LP uses is superior to all other, as they also use differnt qualities.
Somehow, I never got really warm with Mandelli. Rifugio I like very much but only their light leather. For me Valstar, is a complete differnt level, at least 1-2 level below the others.

Regarding fabrics, if you know what you buy, you can also buy Alashan cashmere in very low micron and high grams. Would LP uses this for their normal RTW? I doubt it, maybe on the highest end stuff. This means, the brands use fabric aligned to their price. I doubt a Valstar would be selling jackets when they pay 250-400€/ meter x 2.5-3 meter just in fabric. And for me to use LP fabric and market it, is really only marketing.

Last edited:

PSNY

Reaction score
LP wool and cashmere is vastly superior to almost every other brand on the market, short of the ones that use LP fabric. The gift of kings wool and baby cashmere are such low micron the hand feel is indefinitely better than all their competitors. John Smedely is unique in that it is 30 gauge, which makes it ultra fine and quite supple. Frans Boone has a collection from William Locke that uses the 13.5 micron LP wish wool which is sublime. Drumhor has sourced LP wish wool at times too as has Permanent Style (Simon Crompton) for some of their collections, but it is all really rare.

haloitsme

Reaction score
LP wool and cashmere is vastly superior to almost every other brand on the market, short of the ones that use LP fabric. The gift of kings wool and baby cashmere are such low micron the hand feel is indefinitely better than all their competitors. John Smedely is unique in that it is 30 gauge, which makes it ultra fine and quite supple. Frans Boone has a collection from William Locke that uses the 13.5 micron LP wish wool which is sublime. Drumhor has sourced LP wish wool at times too as has Permanent Style (Simon Crompton) for some of their collections, but it is all really rare.
I can tell you I felt LP also gift of kings and some competitor brands, also some Chinese from Inner Mongolia, some can match or are very similar. Personally, I would not give too much on the brand name.

But personally I would not go to such low micron and heavy grams. I am fine with 300g and a nice touch. Had cashmere / chinchilla mix was nice.

Anyhow, I think we move away from the starting question how good Mandelli is. And it was for leather.

PSNY

Reaction score
Just curious, which companies and Chinese brands have you found that are as soft as Loro Piana's gift of kings wool?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads