• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make Old Shirts New--Mike Maldonado

singlechange

Reaction score
Some time ago I happened upon a dozen used custom dress shirt all in the wrong size and the collar, shoulder, sleeve length, chest and waist areas were much too big for me. The collars tips were worn and french cuffs tips were the same. The shirts were made in 2002/2003 and thankfully had no stains, pulls, holes etc. Practically every shirt was a light shade of blue with various patterns making them very practical to wear. I stumbled upon the internet www.collarreplacement.com, a business run by Mike Maldonado in San Antonio, Texas and sent him one shirt to recut, replace collar with white British spread style, and replace with white french cuffs for total fo $50. Very fast turnaround time. An adjustment to the waist/hip area of the shirt Mike sent back done and I sent them all and just received the remaining dozen shirts. Highly recommended and Mike's a great guy to deal with to boot.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if pretty much all the measurements were off and he totally recut the shirts then the only thing that remained was the orginal fabric? If you had to send him measurements also why not just send them to Jantzen, get new fabric, cut to fit you first time around?

Sorry if I'm missing something

K

Hoofit

Reaction score
Any before and after pics of your shirts?

kngrimm

Reaction score
Hmmmm.. the service was definitely a plus. The shirts are Geneva and were made of high quality parts/labor.

My only question is how did they fix the collar/shoulder/sleeve length/chest for $50? Normally a tailor will tell you to buy a new shirt.

The shoulders were actually changed? It sits differently on you? Could you take a pic of the 'after' shirt being worn? And maybe a 'before' shirt worn?

Thanks,

misterjase

Reaction score
Wow - he should be a national treasure. That type of business is rare.

Anyone had a shirt made by Mike? What fabric does he offer?

PMean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterjase
Wow - he should be a national treasure. That type of business is rare. Anyone had a shirt made by Mike? What fabric does he offer?
My Uncle Bob, a lawyer who is crazy about suits recommended Mike. He made me 6 shirts, a couple of Egyptian cotton, and then some other sort of standard cotton dress shirts. They are all phenomenal, durable shirts. I still wear them today, to job interviews, etc. Mike makes excellent quality shirts and offers a huge selection. His minimum order is 6 shirts. Mike Maldonado has a partner there at the shop, Carlos Landeros, who makes suits and trousers. He made me a navy blazer. I am going to San Antonio tomorrow actually, to have him modify two suits my uncle gave me, because he is the only guy my uncle trusts with his suits. The bottom line is both of these guys are very professional, excellent at their work. I live in Austin, 1.5 hrs away, and I would still rather drive to San Antonio to have these guys do my tailoring for me. They know everything there is to know about style, and can get you any fabric, texture, style you want, or recommend some great ones to check out. You've never truly worn a shirt, jacket, or trousers until you've worn one tailored specifically to your body's measurements. I found Mike's website today, and I might as well share it here. He is a great resource when in Central Texas, hes based in San Antonio. Maldonado & Landeros Tailoring - San Antonio, Texas www.collarreplacement.com 210-400-5052 [email protected]

Sazerac

Reaction score
This is great information. I have some custom shirts that are fraying so badly at the collar that I'm embarrassed to wear them washing the car. I'm going to check this out. Thanks for the tip.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike Maldonado had a great part in Toy Machine Welcome to Hell...

Hackett

Reaction score
Not that long ago, I thought I saw something on their website saying that they weren't taking any more new customers for new shirts. I guess they lifted that? Maybe my mind has just gone soft...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads