• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan's Official Statement on Foyers

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On October 18, 2008, I commented:

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Oy. Again with the camera angle! You have to remember, we live in a 900 sq. feet apartment, which means our living room is the size of most people's foyers. Even worse, half the room is filled with yet-to-be-unpacked junk. There's no room for a better shot. I'm sure people can mentally accomodate for the angle of the photograph with modest effort.

Apparently, some have read this statement to be elitist in the attitude it expresses toward foyers.

To clarify, officially, I do not particularly like or dislike foyers, big or small. I do not myself have a foyer. I do not like or dislike people that have or do not have foyers themselves. I simply have no opinion regarding foyers and the people who have them.

Would I mind having a foyer one day? Most certainly not, although I am not particularly motivated to obtain one. But if I were to have a foyer, I would aspire to a studied and elegant austerity. I imagine a small Yanagi butterfly stool might look nice in the corner. I think I would pick the rosewood version; the large maple one would be nice in scale, but I think maple furniture can be difficult to match with most wood flooring. Anyway, the general problem is using too much mid-century design in a single home, defeating any modernist pretentions one might have, which is why it might be nice to have a larger apartment or house. That way, our mid-century items would be more sparsely distributed and less obvious. Of course, I don't need or want a larger home. It would just be nice to have more space. So, I can understand why one might want a larger foyer if one were to have a foyer at all. It creates more space. Also you can make a better impression on important colleagues and social guests. That way, as one moves up in life, people will also see that he has done so. This is not to say, however, that I anticipate or desire to 'move up in life', as I do not associate social status with self-value. But even so, a larger foyer would allow for more light and space, the two things consistently emphasized in good architecture. Thus, perhaps as an objective matter, a large foyer may be better than a small one. Then, by that measure, it might make sense to say that someone with a large foyer is at least a little better off than someone with a small one. So, while I concede that it might be nice to have a large, elegant foyer, I don't judge anyone for not having one as large as mine--except to say that, in some small way, I am better off in life than he. Is this so wrong?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Apparently, some have read this statement to be elitist in the attitude it expresses toward foyers.

To clarify, officially, I do not particularly like or dislike foyers, big or small. I do not myself have a foyer. I do not like or dislike people that have or do not have foyers themselves. I simply have no opinion regarding foyers and the people who have them.

Would I mind having a foyer one day? Most certainly not, although I am not particularly motivated to obtain one. But if I were to have a foyer, I would aspire to a studied and elegant austerity. I imagine a small Yanagi butterfly stool might look nice in the corner. I think I would pick the rosewood version; the large maple one would be nice in scale, but I think maple furniture can be difficult to match with most wood flooring. Anyway, the general problem is using too much mid-century design in a single home, defeating any modernist pretentions one might have, which is why it might be nice to have a larger apartment or house. That way, our mid-century items would be more sparsely distributed and less obvious. Of course, I don't need or want a larger home. It would just be nice to have more space. So, I can understand why one might want a larger foyer if one were to have a foyer at all. It creates more space. Also you can make a better impression on important colleagues and social guests. That way, as one moves up in life, people will also see that he has done so. This is not to say, however, that I anticipate or desire to 'move up in life', as I do not associate social status with self-value. But even so, a larger foyer would allow for more light and space, the two things consistently emphasized in good architecture. Thus, perhaps as an objective matter, a large foyer may be better than a small one. Then, by that measure, it might make sense to say that someone with a large foyer is at least a little better off than someone with a small one. So, while I concede that it might be nice to have a large, elegant foyer, I don't judge anyone for not having one as large as mine--except to say that, in some small way, I am better off in life than he. Is this so wrong?

Not at all. I was going to say the same thing.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped reading after the third sentence. You are taking this all too seriously, methinks.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you having one of those painfully-forced Seinfield moments?

ZengaGent

Reaction score

Ignore them, Mafoo; these people need to get a life.

My advice - never bite. Not ever.

That's how you deal with trolls.

Regards,
Z

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does a large foyer have an impact on scoring with girls?

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On October 18, 2008, I commented: Apparently, some have read this statement to be elitist in the attitude it expresses toward foyers. To clarify, officially, I do not particularly like or dislike foyers, big or small. I do not myself have a foyer. I do not like or dislike people that have or do not have foyers themselves. I simply have no opinion regarding foyers and the people who have them. Would I mind having a foyer one day? Most certainly not, although I am not particularly motivated to obtain one. But if I were to have a foyer, I would aspire to a studied and elegant austerity. I imagine a small Yanagi butterfly stool might look nice in the corner. I think I would pick the rosewood version; the large maple one would be nice in scale, but I think maple furniture can be difficult to match with most wood flooring. Anyway, the general problem is using too much mid-century design in a single home, defeating any modernist pretentions one might have, which is why it might be nice to have a larger apartment or house. That way, our mid-century items would be more sparsely distributed and less obvious. Of course, I don't need or want a larger home. It would just be nice to have more space. So, I can understand why one might want a larger foyer if one were to have a foyer at all. It creates more space. Also you can make a better impression on important colleagues and social guests. That way, as one moves up in life, people will also see that he has done so. This is not to say, however, that I anticipate or desire to 'move up in life', as I do not associate social status with self-value. But even so, a larger foyer would allow for more light and space, the two things consistently emphasized in good architecture. Thus, perhaps as an objective matter, a large foyer may be better than a small one. Then, by that measure, it might make sense to say that someone with a large foyer is at least a little better off than someone with a small one. So, while I concede that it might be nice to have a large, elegant foyer, I don't judge anyone for not having one as large as mine--except to say that, in some small way, I am better off in life than he. Is this so wrong?
Thanks, don't know where that came from but Thanks. ROFL Foyer, Hallway with en suite wardrobes for outer wear and dens... Some have, some "need". But Isn't that great, that we all can enjoy the difference.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Does a large foyer have an impact on scoring with girls?

It does with the girls you want to score with
teacha.gif

devil.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think this s#$t belongs in dumb threads, because it certainly is.

It's an official statement on a pressing matter.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take it they're easing you into the new job?

Apparently, some have read this statement to be elitist in the attitude it expresses toward foyers

Nah, it's only elitist if you pronounce it foi-YAY instead of foi-YER.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads