• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

wjrmonkey

Reaction score
+1. I agree. I think it's not about walking into a store and just plucking the item you want, it's about developing a relationship, an experience, with the host. Afterall, both parties need to be considerate.

The SA was probably trained to say "I can't discuss that" - just to be on the safe side due to legal considerations in terms of what one may or may not say. You just don't know who might be carrying a recorder... ...

Originally Posted by moddey
A day later and this thread is still alive
facepalm.gif
And the SF snark is now pissing up the purseblog
eh.gif

As I wrote earlier (speaking from my gf's experience), this is exactly what is felt to be the case. They produce a limited number of leather goods per year, and offer only a relatively small number of "podium" slots to a select few customers, and only at certain times during the year. Usually, it is for big ticket items like the purses. I am not even sure if they offer a bespoke service for their wallets -- it's probably not worth it. I wouldn't even think about asking them to do that. April in Paris would seem to be the obvious choice for the smaller stuff. When the special order slots fill up, you are out of luck until next year. Special orders take a long time -- my gf's last item was over two years.

My problem with ma-foo-fan here is that the impression is that he was all attitude and little knowledge. Sure, the SA could have been more clear. But he, thanks to (the other) Matt, knew a lot about Ambrosi and Ruby when he went on his first trip to Naples. Not so on his trip to the big H. Being some internet forum personality doesn't mean Hermes needs to treat him differently than the rest of us. He behaved like the rich American who doesn't speak French on their first trip to Paris and wants to be at seated at the best table at his dream restaurant. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you will get it. More than likely, if you don't know anyone and you behave obnoxiously, you're gonna be seated by the toilets or next to the slobbering baby.

My gf and I have always had wonderful service from Hermes. But she did a lot of research, cultivated a relationship with an SA, and this paid off. It actually makes shopping there a pleasure. Her SA has put in a tremendous amount of effort to find things we want. We have been working with her for many years. Therefore I have a problem with Foo thinking, because of a single bad experience, he can rag on a company that produces great products and actually does offer great service.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wjrmonkey
+1. I agree. I think it's not about walking into a store and just plucking the item you want, it's about developing a relationship, an experience, with the host. Afterall, both parties need to be considerate.

The SA was probably trained to say "I can't discuss that" - just to be on the safe side due to legal considerations in terms of what one may or may not say. You just don't know who might be carrying a recorder... ...

This is a joke, right? It's not about a relationship. A man walks into a store and wants a product they dont have, but have the ability to custom make for him. He has the money and is willing, they have the materials necessary and the ability, yet they won't do business with him. There is something seriously wrong with that. There doesn't need to be a special developed relationship to purchase a wallet.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Originally Posted by wjrmonkey
+1. I agree. I think it's not about walking into a store and just plucking the item you want, it's about developing a relationship, an experience, with the host. Afterall, both parties need to be considerate. The SA was probably trained to say "I can't discuss that" - just to be on the safe side due to legal considerations in terms of what one may or may not say. You just don't know who might be carrying a recorder... ...
This is a joke, right? It's not about a relationship. A man walks into a store and wants a product they dont have, but have the ability to custom make for him. He has the money and is willing, they have the materials necessary and the ability, yet they won't do business with him. There is something seriously wrong with that. There doesn't need to be a special developed relationship to purchase a wallet.

128800536850738610.jpg

cakeymakeybakey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CentralParkWest
I should have included this:

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. In a funny, whip-smart memoir sure to be a sensation among Vogue and W devotees, erstwhile hair and makeup artist Tonello (now a columnist for HuffingtonPost.com) chronicles a surprising (even to him!) trans-Atlantic move from Provincetown, R.I. to a city he'd fallen in love with on a short trip: Barcelona, where he knows no one and doesn't speak the language. Tonello's initial euphoria dissolves when his new job fails to materialize. To stay afloat, Tonello starts selling items on Ebay with startling results: his first, heart-racing success, a year-old $99 Polo scarf he sold for $430 to a Midwesterner ("I guess he really liked plaid") makes Tonello an instant believer in the resale capabilities of high-end luxury items. Thus his new trade, and his quest for the Birkin, the "it bag" of all time, famous for its impenetrable waiting list ("What do you mean the waiting list is closed? It's a waiting list. So I can't wait?"). After many failed attempts, Tonello plans a weekend drive to Madrid in search of the haute couture holy grail; the result is a both a hilarious raid on fashion's strongholds and a memoir that satisfies like a novel. Fashion die-hards, and many others, will be delighted from beginning to end.

Did Publishers Weekly really get the state wrong in this blurb???

Advent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cakeymakeybakey
Did Publishers Weekly really get the state wrong in this blurb???

It certainly would appear that way. Provincetown is in MA. And a quick Google check confirms that there is no Provincetown in Rhode Island.
The same fact checkers must be working at Publishers Weekly that work at the PF.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JPHardy
The MF at H...the movie

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Obviously this was filmed mafoofan's grand foyer.

grace2011

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrsSparkles
Seems the brand of purse you choose to carry is a closely guarded secret.
Interesting that you would chose to be a member (and for a long time) of a Forum which discusses purses.

i'd like to know to. i think she's another mrs sparkler and doesn't own a single bag but is a real know itall.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Purse Forum makes some of the obsessives here look like amateurs.........

quite an eye opener.............as has been this thread......it's hilarious--all this fuss over 2 Forums (that we know about) about a Wallet.
foo.gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything
Purse Forum makes some of the obsessives here look like amateurs......... quite an eye opener.............as has been this thread......it's hilarious--all this fuss over 2 Forums (that we know about) about a Wallet.
foo.gif

Just goes to show you that he is a big Fish. P.S. The only thing that can revive this threak are Russian-whores-stories from Courchevel, by that Ikarus guy who just came back.

Advent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything
Purse Forum makes some of the obsessives here look like amateurs......... quite an eye opener.............as has been this thread......it's hilarious--all this fuss over 2 Forums (that we know about) about a Wallet.
foo.gif

It's not just a wallet.....it's an Hermes wallet! (i genuflect as i say the H word)

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Walked in to the Hermes on Mad today, and the SA knew nothing of this threak... (at least that's what she said)
confused.gif

juliette2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grace2011
i'd like to know to. i think she's another mrs sparkler and doesn't own a single bag but is a real know itall.

Good golly, but you're obsessed. You should get back on your meds.

If you or any of your cronies had any reading and/or reading comprehension skills, you would know that I already discussed my favorite bag. As for the rest of the contents of my closet, why in the world would I feel compelled to discuss that with someone such as you?

Don't you think your obsession with who carries which bag is more appropriate for a purse forum rather than a men's style forum? Or have you been banned again?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics