• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Viatu

Reaction score
I don’t think TLB offers navy museum, but I could be mistaken.

I don’t have TLB’s burgundy museum, but I just took delivery of a pair from another maker in that material. Here’s a picture if it helps, I don’t think the TLB version would be much different.

View attachment 1786267

TLB does make a navy blue museum. I have a pair of navy blue museum split toe derbies from TLB.

EvilBoffin

Reaction score
TLB does make a navy blue museum. I have a pair of navy blue museum split toe derbies from TLB.
Viatu - pics of your 135 Artista derbies on TLB website in Navy museum are the ones I've been staring at, as other pics of that Navy are so hard to find. TLB's own pics make it look basically Black.

Do you find that Navy museum has any "character", or is it just too similar to Black ??
Could you share any photos that more accurately represent the color ??

I already have a wonderful pair of medium brown suede TLB Artista 117 tassel loafers, bought from Dennis at 'The Hand' last month. So I know the fit on the GOYA last, the construction and style are all excellent....

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
You’re both right, I just saw that on the TLB website, kudos to Toni for bringing that in, hope he adds it to the MTO tool soon too.

Museum in general is very light dependent. In low light it looks very dark and monotone and in bright sunlight the pattern comes out.

The best example in sunlight I could find is this Vass pair, but I’m sure Toni will be able to send some pictures if you ask (He has always sent me pictures when I asked for certain details)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Viatu - pics of your 135 Artista derbies on TLB website in Navy museum are the ones I've been staring at, as other pics of that Navy are so hard to find. TLB's own pics make it look basically Black.

Do you find that Navy museum has any "character", or is it just too similar to Black ??

I already have a wonderful pair of medium brown suede TLB Artista 117 tassel loafers, bought from Dennis at 'The Hand' last month. So I know the fit on the GOYA last, the construction and style are all excellent....
Don’t listen to anyone who tells you navy and black are interchangeable or in your case, too close to the same. Navy is navy. If you want blue shoes because you like blue shoes then it’s worth considering. If you think you’ll wear them how you wear black, they’ll collect dust. I had a navy museum pair from another maker. They didn’t look black and they didn’t get worn.

EvilBoffin

Reaction score
I don’t have TLB’s burgundy museum, but I just took delivery of a pair from another maker in that material. Here’s a picture if it helps, I don’t think the TLB version would be much different.
View attachment 1786267
Thank you for posting the pic (those are sweet !!).
If your leather comes from the same Zonta tannery that TLB sources their museum calf, then it should be quite similar.

As shown here and in other pics, appearance of this burgundy is heavily affected by the room lighting....

NOW the question is - - is Museum burgundy or navy appropriate for penny loafers ???

Viatu

Reaction score

Those aren't mine on the website. Mine are on the Goya last and I believe the one on the website is on the Velazquez if I'm not mistaken. I'll post pictures shortly.

I do find the navy museum has character. I wanted a true navy and it's that in my opinion.

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the pic (those are sweet !!).
If your leather comes from the same Zonta tannery that TLB sources their museum calf, then it should be quite similar.

As shown here and in other pics, appearance of this burgundy is heavily affected by the room lighting....

NOW the question is - - is Museum burgundy or navy appropriate for penny loafers ???
I think it’s either from Zonta or Ilcea. Not 100% certain.

As for if it’s appropriate, it’s always appropriate if you can pull it off and if it works with your outfits. Take it from a guy who has a pair of moss green split toe derbies .

Viatu

Reaction score

I think the photos make the shoes appear lighter in color than they actually are.

Attachments

• 20220429_165939.jpg
    20220429_165939.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220429_165926.jpg
    20220429_165926.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 636
  • 20220429_165859.jpg
    20220429_165859.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 866

Aly.B

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Need some comparative sizing advice for these two: TLB Artista vs Carmina. I usually wear size 44 (G) in Vass (F last) and 11 EE in AE Strands.I have wide forefoot and high instep as well. Which out of these two brands are better suited for people with wide feet? Personally, I find TLB more aesthetically pleasing - bevelled waist and hand finished soles, etc. So, I would appreciate if someone could give me some advice on which TLB last would suit wide feet better?

For reference, recently purchased a pair of Santoni goodyear’s on their Carter last and find them too narrow in the toes and around the forefoot. And if I could throw Carlos Santos Handgrade line in the mix as well, would appreciate if someone could shed some light on CS fit and their suitability for wide feet as well. Many thanks!

EvilBoffin

Reaction score
It's funny that even Vass themselves call it "the mysterious Blue museum calf" ....
And yeah, it does really look quite dark, even in direct sunlight.

TLB offers a main collection 545 penny loafer in Brown museum calf, so it's surprising they don't have any Artista loafers in museum.

Viatu

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Need some comparative sizing advice for these two: TLB Artista vs Carmina. I usually wear size 44 (G) in Vass (F last) and 11 EE in AE Strands.I have wide forefoot and high instep as well. Which out of these two brands are better suited for people with wide feet? Personally, I find TLB more aesthetically pleasing - bevelled waist and hand finished soles, etc. So, I would appreciate if someone could give me some advice on which TLB last would suit wide feet better?

For reference, recently purchased a pair of Santoni goodyear’s on their Carter last and find them too narrow in the toes and around the forefoot. And if I could throw Carlos Santos Handgrade line in the mix as well, would appreciate if someone could shed some light on CS fit and their suitability for wide feet as well. Many thanks!

I have 3 pair of TLBs and they are H width shoes. I have wide feet. My TLBs are all very comfortable. Your best route is to email Toni, send him pictures of you wearing your Vass and AE shoes, send him measurements and pictures of your feet (length, width, and circumference of your feet).

Aly.B

Reaction score
I have 3 pair of TLBs and they are H width shoes. I have wide feet. My TLBs are all very comfortable. Your best route is to email Toni, send him pictures of you wearing your Vass and AE shoes, send him measurements and pictures of your feet (length, width, and circumference of your feet).

Awesome! Will do that. Did you have to go Custom or MTO to get wide fit shoes or were they readily available in stock?

Viatu

Reaction score
Awesome! Will do that. Did you have to go Custom or MTO to get wide fit shoes or were they readily available in stock?

I always order custom because I always want to change something else in addition to the wide width. For instance, I think the Goya last along with the Artista 135 produce the best looking derbies. I do think there are a few models in the H width on the website.

Aly.B

Reaction score
I always order custom because I always want to change something else in addition to the wide width. For instance, I think the Goya last along with the Artista 135 produce the best looking derbies. I do think there are a few models in the H width on the website.

I see. I am currently looking to purchase black oxfords first - either brogues or toecaps. If it goes well, will be purchasing monkstraps and loafers as well. Going custom for a G width would be the best route for me?

EvilBoffin

Reaction score
...And if I could throw Carlos Santos Handgrade line in the mix as well, would appreciate if someone could shed some light on CS fit and their suitability for wide feet as well.
Aly.B - I can offer this about Carlos Santos from experience - -

Highly recommend that you talk to Kostas at The Noble Shoe in Amsterdam, before buying any CS. He is extremely knowledgeable about their regular & handgrade lines, their lasts & various fitments. He really helped me out when I had no clue about sizing in high-quality shoes.

I got my CS regular-line NST derbies (on their 401 last) from Kostas, and they fit just as well as my TLB's.
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy again from either brand...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mernajamesa