• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Jackets Thread

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feels like a slim. Went tts in a medium. I am a 40R in all tailored clothing. 5ft10in and 175. Have a bit of a gut, lift weights, and have large thighs (those are 3sixteen straight legs)

@notwithit EDIT: I am pretty sure it's cowhide. Don't have a lot of experience w/ leather jackets but I know it's not lambskin. Leather is identical to this schott in terms of color and grain: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/naked-cowhide-g-1-leather-flight.htm?color=100&catID=8

Last edited:

drewcandraw

Reaction score
Feels like a slim. Went tts in a medium. I am a 40R in all tailored clothing. 5ft10in and 175. Have a bit of a gut, lift weights, and have large thighs (those are 3sixteen straight legs)

@notwithit EDIT: I am pretty sure it's cowhide. Don't have a lot of experience w/ leather jackets but I know it's not lambskin. Leather is identical to this schott in terms of color and grain: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/naked-cowhide-g-1-leather-flight.htm?color=100&catID

Hmm I'm 5'8" 195lb and have a baby gut as well. You think a large would work on me. I just got really broad shoulders for my height and a wide ass neck lol.

I got that stocky build and wondering if any of those bros on here got any fit pics of any MA-1s

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Alpha in Sage Green not an easy color to pull off without looking like a try hard?

I'm not sure what "sage green" is, but if it's the color typically seen on their MA-1's, I don't think it'd be terribly difficult to pull off.

CityMap

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a cheap bomber (or a bomber style blouson) since I recently spent money on a higher quality chestercoat.

what do you guys think?

z-AB7670-01.jpg

roughly $120, 100% Nylon exterior (not sure interior, probably polyester lining)

4341470605_2_2_1.jpg

Burgundy Zara $60 100% polyester exterior and lining

4569400407_1_1_1.jpg

Zara long bomber, about $120 100% polyester exterior and lining

3036300704_2_1_1.jpg

Camel jacket, about 50 50 wool/polyester $90

or none. (a part of me is wondering if I really need one since I've a quilted jacket, a wool peacoat, a wool/cashmere chester coat, and a down parka)

Last edited:

CityMap

Reaction score
i love the bomber jacket/blouson trend as well as the stand/band/no collar shirts.
But I've always associated it with casual.

Can anyone recommend some styles of bomber jackets that are more business casual (if it exists?)

fishtacologin

Reaction score
i love the bomber jacket/blouson trend as well as the stand/band/no collar shirts.
But I've always associated it with casual.

Can anyone recommend some styles of bomber jackets that are more business casual (if it exists?)
Maybe a TOJ suiting wool bomber or the APC oregon jacket?

fishtacologin

Reaction score
I own/owned both.

Toj suiting wool is very classic and round, the APC jacket is much slimmer, i prefer it to the wool.
I see posts by you all the time in the RO thread. What are your thoughts on the RO bomber?

wanderedsouth

Reaction score
Recently got meself a alpha ma-1 large and tall size (cause im tall) jacket. How do you think it fits me? Should i get i size larger, because this one is to short? Or its normal?
Also a was dissapointed with the quality of the zipper. Preveusly a had a mil-tec ma-1 and the quality was waaay better, but the sizing and fitting of mil-tec bombers is for short and bulky people only. Second part of the dissapointment was that the american brand jacket is made in china and the sizing is more appropriate for chinese folk. Mil-tec is still made in USA as the corcoran boots, maybe thats why the quality is much better.

These jackets are meant to be short in the body. The body and sleeve length looks about right on you. However you may want to try the slim version. I'm tall and slim and the puffy look of the regular version of this jacket doesn't look good on me. The puffy look is part of the style of this jacket but if your frame doesn't match it isn't flattering.

As an aside, the Alpha tall sizes are bullshit for actual tall people. The sleeves are only 1/2 inch longer than regular, and the body only 3/4 inch longer, hardly making it much "taller".

I had success with the "Reissued" version of this jacket, now discontinued. I have been wondering if the current "Slim" version is the same. The Reissued was longer and fit me perfectly (6'4", size XL) even though it wasn't in a tall size. I posted about it upthread.

Last edited:

Zimpod

Reaction score
I have an almost new Buzz Rickson x William Gibson MA-1 in size 44Long. It's a bit too long for me so looking to trade for a 44R. Anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads