• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to get into biking

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm totally lost on the need for a speciality shop. Depending on the employee you get they could know everything or be a damn fool. I've done my work with performance bike because I've found great service, I did tons of extra research so I wasn't being taken for a ride, plus my experience has been with competitive cyclists that just happened to work there. Their product is not top top of the line, but unless your pro or want to brag about your ride, you don't need a pro setup. And sizing is not as difficult as you think, some charge some don't... find an experienced friend and they'll happily size you. I'm saying all this assuming your looking budget conscious. If not, drive down to hightech bikes in SD and buy a 35k setup
smile.gif
... And yes shorts. A good chamois is priceless. Do not skimp here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano

... And yes shorts. A good chamois is priceless. Do not skimp here.

I couldn't agree more. Your crotch will thank you for the investment, seriously.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Lots of great advice ...go get fitted ......think of a budget before buy........think about how much you will use the bike, what it you will use it for I.E. recreation, commute etc. As has been said stay away from on line until you are well versed in biking and know exactly what you are looking for. Other may disagree, but, one of the best investments have made was the saddle. I have a Brooks saddle and have had it for almost 10 years. With proper care it will last a very long time. The saddle knows ****** and I have used it on both my mountain bike and my road bike. Right now I am more into road right now so the saddle is on that bike. That saddle has saved both ****** and a phenomena known as "saddle numbness". http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on Trek's entry or mid-level lines for women? Wife needs a bike for a triathalon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Do not do this, either, unless you know your size, etc. very well. (But CC, Excel, etc. are much better than BD.)
However, there is really no such thing as a bike "that will keep up with bikes costing twice as much.", certainly not for a beginning rider. By this I mean: a bike which costs 2x what you pay will not necessarily be a better bike for you, esp. at this point. This is why Craigslist can be a good source, in fact. People buy a $$$ bike, decide they're not into it, sell for cheap.

This. It takes a while to really to be able to outgrow your current bike and require a better one. Only when I started doing centuries for fun did I really consider getting a better bike (I never did).

Also, what happens if you don't like biking? Spend a minimal amount now, and if you decide you really like the sport, then shell out the cash for a Madone, CAAD / Supersix, Colnago w/ campy sets, etc...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
What is the consensus on Trek's entry or mid-level lines for women? Wife needs a bike for a triathalon.
No idea for women, but I have a Trek 1500, which has been replaced by the 2 & 1 series (I guess my bike's equivalent is the Trek 2.1), and other than having to replace the hard-as-a-brick saddle, its been one hell of a bike.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
A good fitting should cost around $40, and will provide you with your own body dimensions, plus recommended frame size and other settings (saddle height, bar width, stem length/height, perhaps crankset length. Definitely worth it. Find a good fitter, though.

I would definitely recommend shorts and shoes. If you don't like the roadie "lycra look" there are mtb shorts which are padded. Pearl Izumi, etc.

Excellent advice on both counts. I wish to reiterate: spend the money on great, not just good shorts. If you don't mind the roadie look, bibs are more comfortable than shorts.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s2kev
Do you guys think I'm gonna need shorts? Or would basketball shorts work? Also what about shoes?

No question you're going to need shorts if you're actually going to ride. Your ass will thank you later.
(Consider bibs for comfort.)

Also budget for a helmet, jersey, gloves, shoes, pedals, bottle cage, computer, floor pump, saddle bag, spare tubes, tire levers, multi-tool, and some kind of portable inflation device.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Excellent advice on both counts. I wish to reiterate: spend the money on great, not just good shorts. If you don't mind the roadie look, bibs are more comfortable than shorts.
Bib shorts = absolutely.
Originally Posted by zippyh
No question you're going to need shorts if you're actually going to ride. Your ass will thank you later. (Consider bibs for comfort.) Also budget for a helmet, jersey, gloves, shoes, pedals, bottle cage, computer, floor pump, saddle bag, spare tubes, tire levers, multi-tool, and some kind of portable inflation device.
Yes. Helmet is a must. The OP could get away without a jersey, maybe the saddle bag and computer, even the gloves, at the beginning, but the point is well put: the accessories can really start to add up.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a starter road bike too. Been looking on craigslist, but due to my lack of experience with them I have no idea what is a good deal and what is not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads