• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to get a suit (Vancouver)

deeppurple

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to obtain a suit. I am about 6 feet tall, athletic build, (broad shoulders) and looking for a black wool suit something that I can wear on all ocassions,....for a night out, or to a wedding etc...My price range is about 1000-1500$....does anyone have any recommendations on styles and which places I can go ...should I get the suit tailored or buy off the shelf?

Thanks

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw something by or about that guy David Wilkes on the London Lounge. However, he's a young guy, and at this point, his skill and judgment are pretty much unknown. He may turn out to be good, but about all we have now is his own presentation. He's obviously a young Turk out to build up his business. I sincerely hope he is good, as God knows Vancouver could use a good tailor or two.

However, bespoke tailoring can go very badly at times, and I would not trust any of the Vancouver tailors to produce something that was a noticeable improvement over a good MTM suit or a really good RTW suit with some alterations to improve fit. My advice would be to go straight to Harry Rosen and either (a) find a RTW Samuelsohn suit you like or (b) get a MTM Samuelsohn through Harry Rosen. Sammys are the best Canadian-made RTW and MTM suits and very good value for the money. You will be able to find a fully-canvased RTW suit of fine quality at a price in your stated price range. With some alterations, this might do just fine. Otherwise, go for the MTM program through Harry Rosen with Samuelsohn. I think you could also swing this at a price near the upper end of your price range.

What we need here is Zegnamtl to come on and explain the MTM Samuelsohn process that he knows better than anyone else I can think of. Allen, where are you?

Fabro

Reaction score
I second Roger's advice. Spend the money upfront and get a good MTM Samuelsohn. Once you have it, measure it carefully and use these as guidelines to take advantage of good RTW deals on here buying & selling.

On the other hand, it sounds like you are around my size. So stick with Samuelsohn and stay far away from buying and selling. There's nothing to see there.
tounge.gif

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I saw something by or about that guy David Wilkes on the London Lounge. However, he's a young guy, and at this point, his skill and judgment are pretty much unknown. He may turn out to be good, but about all we have now is his own presentation. He's obviously a young Turk out to build up his business. I sincerely hope he is good, as God knows Vancouver could use a good tailor or two.

However, bespoke tailoring can go very badly at times, and I would not trust any of the Vancouver tailors to produce something that was a noticeable improvement over a good MTM suit or a really good RTW suit with some alterations to improve fit. My advice would be to go straight to Harry Rosen and either (a) find a RTW Samuelsohn suit you like or (b) get a MTM Samuelsohn through Harry Rosen. Sammys are the best Canadian-made RTW and MTM suits and very good value for the money. You will be able to find a fully-canvased RTW suit of fine quality at a price in your stated price range. With some alterations, this might do just fine. Otherwise, go for the MTM program through Harry Rosen with Samuelsohn. I think you could also swing this at a price near the upper end of your price range.

What we need here is Zegnamtl to come on and explain the MTM Samuelsohn process that he knows better than anyone else I can think of. Allen, where are you?

+2

Head over the Harry Rosen, the Samuelsohn's are on sale right now and you could get one for under $1K. Harry has some very good sales people, that I find very helpful, their tailors do good work and believe it or not they will adjust a suit that they sell you for the life of the suit. If you can find one that fits nice, you can't really go wrong.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deeppurple
Thanks all! I wasnt even aware of the Samuelsohn brand so I will check it out.
FYI, Harry Rosen calls Samuelsohn suits "J.P. Tilford". It's their house label. Edit: Was in Harry Rosen Bloor today and the Tilfords are marked down to $800. From, I think, $1200.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger

Not from Vancouver but as I indicated in the other thread on Vancouver tailors a few mins ago, there is a documentary on Modernize Tailors on CBC Newsworld tonight. David pops his head into Modernize a few times during filming looking to have button holes made (supposedly their really old singer is one of the only button hole machines in Vancouver). At the time this documentary was filmed (2 years ago?) David indicated that he was the alterations tailor at Holts in Vancouver. I presume he has since gone out on his own. Very interesting documentary.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any sales right now? I need something navy. Don't want to spend more than $700.

blakepaul

Reaction score
I m based in Brisbane(Australia) and I m using www.himarkmartintailors.com from hong kong,they are custom tailors and travel to Auss quite frequently and I have visited their website and found out they also travel to vancouver(Canada) at Sheraton Wall Center quite frequently.I ordered two suits last time ,i found it a good deal as the finish product was excellent.Their representative in Brisbane told me that they can do the alterations for free if in case one lose or put on weight. They have quite a variety to chose from. I m sure you will able to pick up black wool suit.The representative can help you in selection of suit styles.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for a light/medium grey wool suit in the GVRD area, mid-range price, i have no idea where to start, haven't had to buy a suit for the last 10 years or so

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads