• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking snazzy but not out-of-place at my new job

Telix

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting my first (non-creative) professional job in late August, at a University library. I'll be working with librarians, librarian IT staff, and academic faculty. Most people I saw there while interviewing didn't dress particularly fancy - no ties that I saw. Some people were quite casual, but most were in the realm of "work casual" - button-down shirts with no ties, some t-shirts, etc. For reference, I am 27.

I plan on making a career out of this position, or at least get advanced to higher pay scales as soon as possible. Thus, I'd like to look as professional as I can without sticking out as being Mr. Fancy Pants and looking silly.

The hardest decisions for me usually involve whether or not to tuck in a short or long-sleeve button down shirt, if a pair of shoes are too dressy or too casual, and so on. I've been acquiring more slacks to wear, and always have enjoyed short-sleeve button down shirts (especially Penguin) and polos.

My current shoe selection includes some straight-up dress burgundy cap-toe's and a few pairs of Chucks (high-top brown leather with brown toe and sole, and the Premieres in grey with grey toe/sole). I'd like to round that out a bit, but am not sure of the styles that make the most sense with basic slacks. Matte oxfords? A classic and basic sneaker/tennis shoe?

So any opinions on directions to take to build my dressy-casual wardrobe would be appreciated. Honestly, I wish it wouldn't be silly to wear shirts and ties, as I love how that looks.
confused.gif

Sauwan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Telix
Honestly, I wish it wouldn't be silly to wear shirts and ties, as I love how that looks.
confused.gif

Why would it be silly? Two phrases come to mind here:

1) Dress for the position you want, not for the one you have.

2) If unsure, always overdress.

While you might "feel" silly, most, if not all, people will never think negatively about people who dress well. However, you can look REALLY sharp without a tie. It will give you a high level of professionalism, without the potential snobbishness.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congrats on the new job. I wouldn't be afraid to be yourself. If you like shirts and ties, wear 'em. If you're afraid of rocking the boat, maybe stick to the basics at first: neutrals, solids, etc. Then, after you suss out the vibe, start peppering in some flair. Your skills and motivation should earn you the respect. Your clothing should reflect your personality. imho, of course.

p.s. If in doubt, tuck.

Telix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sauwan
Why would it be silly? Two phrases come to mind here:

1) Dress for the position you want, not for the one you have.

2) If unsure, always overdress.

While you might "feel" silly, most, if not all, people will never think negatively about people who dress well. However, you can look REALLY sharp without a tie. It will give you a high level of professionalism, without the potential snobbishness.

Well, even my boss, the head of the department, doesn't wear ties. When I saw him I think he had on a suit jacket with no tie, which I thought kind of odd.
smile.gif

I agree that few will look down on someone dressing well, I will be of the younger people working at the library, in a technical position that some faculty likely even doubt the need for. Therefore my desire to not look like I'm a prima donna, while simultaneously be myself and look nice, is a bit more important in order to succeed in this position. (In my opinion.)

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just wear what they wear except make your clothing fitted and slim instead of being boxy and awkward. problem solved.

Telix

Reaction score
Well, that doesn't solve my problem of advice on ways to grow my shoe collection for more settings.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With basic slacks/shirt combo (i.e. not a suit), you might try an open-laced blucher, loafers or even a chukka boot. Those are all on the casual, but not-too-casual side of the shoe spectrum. Sounds like you've got the sneakers covered. Stick with the classics. And with any shoes, go for the highest quality you can muster. You'll appreciate it later.

See ya.

Nullus est liber tam malus ut non aliqua parte prosit — Pliny Minor

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started my first real job a few weeks ago.

Hardly anybody wears ties or jackets. Everyone, however, wears shirts, slacks, and leather soled shoes.

The perfect way to dress it up a bit in the office, for me, has become to wear a sportcoat. Extremely comfortable, allows me to wear non-MTM/Bespoke dress shirts, and gets way more positive attention than wearing a tie without a jacket.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice cap toe dress shoe in brown leather will look good and if you take care of it, it can last you many years. However, as I have recently started collecting, I think it is important to focus on fit and craftsmanship. You do not want to be uncomfortable, and you certainly do not want to have to replace them later. Leather soles are a must, and arch support that feels good to your feet with help your whole body. I found some nice shoes in a small shop for $100.00 and they originally were like $200.00 or so at Nordstrom I think. As for shirt, you should tuck it and wear it without a tie for a more business casual look. Since it's dressed down, I'd match the socks to the shirt for a fun look, and if you have a casual day you can wear a sport coat with jeans and possibly a solid shirt for a still nice look.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the sweaters? Trendy casual brands such as Penguin might look nice, but they're unlikely to help career advancement in the world of academia. Please, no sneakers to work. A quality watch and a dressy belt can add professionalism to the look.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is.

If you lower your standards in how you dress, you would also lower your standards in how you work, you would finally lower your standards in how to live.

Be yourself, Be confident, people will respect you for that.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trick to this environment is to look good without being in your peers' face. Ties are in their face. Wearing a jacket around the office could be in their face, so wear one to and from the office, and casually throw it on for meetings, etc. Wear long-sleeve dress shirts with patterns or less-formal colours (ie: not white nor blue). Wool trousers are good, but flat-front without cuffs looks a little more casual, as do colours like khaki. Bluchers and other less-formal style shoes go best with this kind of outfit.

Make sure everything is clean, pressed, and fits well, and you will be seen as an up&comer.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
The trick to this environment is to look good without being in your peers' face. Ties are in their face. Wearing a jacket around the office could be in their face, so wear one to and from the office, and casually throw it on for meetings, etc. Wear long-sleeve dress shirts with patterns or less-formal colours (ie: not white nor blue). Wool trousers are good, but flat-front without cuffs looks a little more casual, as do colours like khaki. Bluchers and other less-formal style shoes go best with this kind of outfit.

Make sure everything is clean, pressed, and fits well, and you will be seen as an up&comer.

I agree with this. You don't want to be "that guy" who wears the jacket and tie while everyone else is wearing a golf shirt or a casual sportshirt. I also agree with the person who suggested Banana Republic; the quality isn't outstanding, but the look is young and professional. I'm not familiar with your options in Champaign, so I think that would be a good start. A store in Chicago that I like is Mark Shale. It might be a bit pricier than what you'd like to spend; but you can definitely get some good ideas, then try to replicate those looks at less expensive stores. Since you're within driving distance of Chicago and Saint Louis, try to take advantage of the Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus Last Call, and Saks Off Fifth stores. You can usually find higher end merchandise at relatively affordable prices.

I would suggest that you post links of items (shoes, shirts, pants, sweaters, etc.) that you're considering. Many on this forum would be happy to give you constructive criticism.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads