• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some advice.

TheBigChill

Reaction score
Alright, Gents. First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Aram, and I'm a 31 year old Engineering Technician from Upstate NY. I've never really been a big 'fashion guy' or sharp dresser, but am finding that as time goes on, it's nice to at least know what the heck you're doing. The slim jeans, Converse, and plain long-sleeve T can only go so far. I need to leave my comfort zone.

Without further ado, I'd like to ask for some advice from you fellas. I have a concert (Elvis Costello) that I'm attending, and while it's semi-casual, I'd like to step away from my typical wardrobe, and of course, there's a lady involved ;)

Stats (me): 5'11" and 155lbs. Slim but athletic.

Now, for the clothes. There are only a few constants, but the shoes and outer shirt layer are what's in question.

Constants: Slim fit navy button-up Gingham, BDC.
Dark wash Levi 514 30x32.
Gray and blue argyle socks.
Black or brown leather belt.

Variables:
Shoes- A rugged style brogue wingtip oxford, in medium brown leather. OR
A vintage Hush Puppy oxford, in gray suede.

Outer layer- Merino wool crewneck sweater, in light gray. OR
Cableknit-ish zip up sweater, also in light gray.

Here are photos of the shoes in question, the outer layers you'll have to just imagine.
So which combo do you think is best ? Thanks in advance, guys. I really appreciate any input.

These will have brown laces:

OR

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the constants, go with the brown belt.

1. On the sweater, go with the merino wool, although I will try to convince you that a v-neck will look better than the crew with the OCBD.

2. Based on your two choices, go with the brown wingtip. Again, that said, you could go with a much better wingtip. With your above outfit:

Any of these would look far superior, and can be had much cheaper in seconds:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6208_1_40000000001_-1

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7605_1_40000000001_-1

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6215_1_40000000001_-1

Personally, the walnut jeffersons would be my top choice, but the bourbon or merlot mcallisters would look just as good. The jeffersons are just way more comfy and will probably garner you the most compliments.

TheBigChill

Reaction score
I like the constants, go with the brown belt.

1. On the sweater, go with the merino wool, although I will try to convince you that a v-neck will look better than the crew with the OCBD.

2. Based on your two choices, go with the brown wingtip. Again, that said, you could go with a much better wingtip. With your above outfit:

Any of these would look far superior, and can be had much cheaper in seconds:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6208_1_40000000001_-1

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7605_1_40000000001_-1

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6215_1_40000000001_-1

Personally, the walnut jeffersons would be my top choice, but the bourbon or merlot mcallisters would look just as good. The jeffersons are just way more comfy and will probably garner you the most compliments.

Thank you for your input. I currently own all the items listed, but have never really worn any of them, haha. With that said, buying new and higher quality pieces will have to wait as the show is this evening.

I purchased the shoes for next-to-nothing a while back, and went with them because I thought that the more rugged sole would take better to a casual outfit when compared to a lower profile shoe. Is this a fair assumption?

I totally agree on substituting a V-neck, but don't own any nice ones at the moment, so a crew or zip-up it must be.

Those Jeffersons are certainly sharp, and I'll be sure to consider them as a replacement. Thanks again for your input, it's appreciated.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased the shoes for next-to-nothing a while back, and went with them because I thought that the more rugged sole would take better to a casual outfit when compared to a lower profile shoe. Is this a fair assumption?  

Yes and no. You are correct that a more casual outfit typically calls for a more "rugged" shoe, which in terms of the forum nearly always means a blucher (or open lacing like on the Hush puppies). The brown shoe you posted is sort of like a hybrid (or bastard depending on who you ask) of the two. It is a balmoral style (closed lacing), but with a rugged sole typically reserved for blucher style shoes. "The rules" you might say, are that you wear balmorals with more formal attire (suits, tuxedos) and bluchers with everything else (casual, OCBD, etc.).

My recommendation breaks the rules above, but the walnut and bourbon from AE just looks terrific with jeans. If you want to look sharp to the public and likely any female company, I still suggest it.

TheBigChill

Reaction score
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your input, and explaining some basics. I'll have to throw it all together when I get home, & see which look prevails. You know, LIke I should've done months or weeks ago... ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads