• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for proper oxfords

aframi

Reaction score
In the past, I've mainly owned cheap-ish dress shoes and have always struggled with them breaking rather quickly. In my defense, I work at a fashion retailer so I've had the chance to buy them with a 40% discount, hence I've always gone back to them.

Now, with a recent misfortune with my current oxford shoes, I have finally decided to purchase proper shoes, preferably with Goodyear welting. I am tempted on purchasing a pair from my local menswear/tailoring shop as they stock quite nice Sanders' oxfords.

However, before making the decision, I'd like to ask the forums recommendations on which brands I should look into to get great oxford shoes from for a semi-affordable price! Preferably in chestnut/dark brown, Goodyear welted and optimally in the 300$ price-range with shipping to the EU. If well justified, I'm willing to pay a maximum of around 400$. New or vintage.

TL;DR: Recommendations for Goodyear welted oxfords, dark brown, 300-400$, new or used.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the past, I've mainly owned cheap-ish dress shoes and have always struggled with them breaking rather quickly. In my defense, I work at a fashion retailer so I've had the chance to buy them with a 40% discount, hence I've always gone back to them.

Now, with a recent misfortune with my current oxford shoes, I have finally decided to purchase proper shoes, preferably with Goodyear welting. I am tempted on purchasing a pair from my local menswear/tailoring shop as they stock quite nice Sanders' oxfords.

However, before making the decision, I'd like to ask the forums recommendations on which brands I should look into to get great oxford shoes from for a semi-affordable price! Preferably in chestnut/dark brown, Goodyear welted and optimally in the 300$ price-range with shipping to the EU. If well justified, I'm willing to pay a maximum of around 400$. New or vintage.

TL;DR: Recommendations for Goodyear welted oxfords, dark brown, 300-400$, new or used.

Try Meerman and Lof & Tung

Carmina is just a hair outside of your $400 limit, but they sell nice shoes

Panama

Reaction score
You probably have 30 brands to choose from. I am more than happy with Loake and Cheaney. It depends on what country you are in? If you live in Holland no one will mention van Bommel etc.
Sanders is the same level as Loake Shoemaker or possibly 1880. The Diplomat range will be more nearer Loake Legacy or Export grade.

aframi

Reaction score
Try Meerman and Lof & Tung

Carmina is just a hair outside of your $400 limit, but they sell nice shoes

Thank you! Meerman and Lof & Tung are very interesting options. I’ve heard only praise about Carmina so I think that I’ll have to look into their offering also. Could be worth spending some extra.

aframi

Reaction score
You probably have 30 brands to choose from. I am more than happy with Loake and Cheaney. It depends on what country you are in? If you live in Holland no one will mention van Bommel etc.
Sanders is the same level as Loake Shoemaker or possibly 1880. The Diplomat range will be more nearer Loake Legacy or Export grade.
Thank you! Heh I am well aware of the wide array of options, hence the crowdsourcing. It’s good to hear your experiences.

I’m in Finland and in my city I have a decent supply of Sanders Diplomat and Loake 1880 to choose from. However I do not really shun online shopping either.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you! Meerman and Lof & Tung are very interesting options. I’ve heard only praise about Carmina so I think that I’ll have to look into their offering also. Could be worth spending some extra.

Just a note, Meermins are a little harder to break-in than other options, such as the ones named in this thread. I think they are an excellent value, but you will have to wear them for a short period (say, five hours or something) each day for about a week. I like them because they are fairly affordable, are made well, and come in nice designs

Phongmoua

Reaction score
You should check out the Noble shoe out of Stockholm. For around $400, I would highly recommend looking at their hand grade Carlos Santos GYW shoes in this dark brown color.

In my opinion its a great classic oxford that's not visually boring nor is it overwhelming distracting.

I hope this helps.

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds website, look in the sale category. You'll see good options in your price range.

I'm still wearing multiple pair of Allen Edmonds shoes purchased between the early 1990s and around 2005. all have been resoled at least once, the oldest pair resoled twice and leather recrafted the second time. Definitely more cost effective than buying lower quality shoes and replacing them periodically.

Years ago, I took that a step further & bought a few pair of higher end shoes - Alden 684 loafers, 990 oxfords. Shell cordovan. They're more money than you want to spend. They also wear much better than calfskin or chromexel leather, and once they break in, they fit spectacularly well. They're both around 15 years old, and in all likelihood, I'll still be wearing them when I retire. Functional equivalent would be spending on a pair of Crockett & Jones oxfords in a neutral tone & not so ornate that you couldn't wear in more casual settings. Short term pain, long term gain, in my opinion.

Last edited:

aframi

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds website, look in the sale category. You'll see good options in your price range.

I'm still wearing multiple pair of Allen Edmonds shoes purchased between the early 1990s and around 2005. all have been resoled at least once, the oldest pair resoled twice and leather recrafted the second time. Definitely more cost effective than buying lower quality shoes and replacing them periodically.

Years ago, I took that a step further & bought a few pair of higher end shoes - Alden 684 loafers, 990 oxfords. Shell cordovan. They're more money than you want to spend. They also wear much better than calfskin or chromexel leather, and once they break in, they fit spectacularly well. They're both around 15 years old, and in all likelihood, I'll still be wearing them when I retire. Functional equivalent would be spending on a pair of Crockett & Jones oxfords in a neutral tone & not so ornate that you couldn't wear in more casual settings. Short term pain, long term gain, in my opinion.

”Short term pain, long term gain.” What a great quote. I try to live by that in my clothing decisions. Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Cordovans are on the list as soon as I finish university and get a proper budget to work with.

aframi

Reaction score
I’m grateful for all the great answers! Each one provided clarity for my search. I ended up going with Meermin after some extensive research.

Nailed the size on the first try and now after a few wears I have been very satisfied. A world away from high street brands.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m grateful for all the great answers! Each one provided clarity for my search. I ended up going with Meermin after some extensive research.

Nailed the size on the first try and now after a few wears I have been very satisfied. A world away from high street brands.

the most important thing is that it fits and that you’ll wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads