• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for input from the pros re 'CMT'?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
To whom are you referring? Tip Top? And the $30 to which you are referring is the cost of fabric which would them be taken to a tailor for CMT service? (I like to incorporate new vocab.)

I think he means Rick Rosenthal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
You don't try to save money by getting cloth the tailor could supply

No, but I do sometimes try to save money by getting cloth comparable to what is in the books, but at a lower price. For instance, two years ago I wanted a mohair suit. I found in the books the approximate shade I wanted, but at a substantial cost. Also, I was not terribly impressed by the quality of the goods, and certainly not at the price offered.

I found a nice piece at Tip Top, roughly the same shade, but gutsier. It cost one-fifth (20%) of the wholesale price of that other mohair. So, build in the the tailor's markup and it was more like a 90% savings. That's not insignificant. Now, I wouldn't have bought it had I not liked the cloth. And had I thoght the stuff in the books was better, I might have bitten the bullet and ordered it instead. In the end it was win-win for me, on that transaction.

All I'm saying here is that, if there is a specific cloth in the books that I know I want, and I know the tailor can get that very cloth, I will order it through him. On the other hand, if I want some general pattern/color that I know is in his books, but I can find some other version of comparable quality for less money, I will not hesitate to buy that.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the Loro Piana fabrics:

Would any of the cashmeres they will feature be something good to pickup for making a sportcoat?

How much fabric does one need for just a sportcoat?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
About the Loro Piana fabrics:

Would any of the cashmeres they will feature be something good to pickup for making a sportcoat?

Personally, I like their cashmere overcoatings. But their jacketings, not so much. But then I really don't care much for cashmere jacketings at all, so take that bias into account.

How much fabric does one need for just a sportcoat?
For an average sized guy, 2.5 yards should be plenty. If you are really big, or the cloth has a large scale plaid that is hard to match, get more.

As a general matter, when buying your own cloth, always get a bit more. Round up. It's nice to have some room for error and not make the tailor sweat. Plus, it's highly likely that you will be unable to get more should any problems arise.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overcoats would require how much yardage, Manton?

I need one of those, too.

Originally Posted by Manton
Personally, I like their cashmere overcoatings. But their jacketings, not so much. But then I really don't care much for cashmere jacketings at all, so take that bias into account.

For an average sized guy, 2.5 yards should be plenty. If you are really big, or the cloth has a large scale plaid that is hard to match, get more.

As a general matter, when buying your own cloth, always get a bit more. Round up. It's nice to have some room for error and not make the tailor sweat. Plus, it's highly likely that you will be unable to get more should any problems arise.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Overcoats would require how much yardage, Manton?

I need one of those, too.

Depends to some extent on the styling, length, and your size. Four should do it for most purposes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
If you are really trying to bring the costs in, a lot of us have bought from Howard on eBay and been satisfied.

I should really get a commission from him for all the plugs Ive given him in the past couple of years, but his (vastly improved since my last visit) store is here

His prices absolutely cannot be beaten - but of course you trade off the crucial touchyfeely thing.

Ive only seen one negative comment on the boards about him (someone who said the color was misrepresented), but otherwise, pretty good feedback all round.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally am about to order my first MTM suit. And since I have read on here that Mr Ned's selection of fabrics can be limited, I figure I should just do it right the first time and be happy with something I've been able to choose myself.

I'm also interested in just going through the process, too.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads