• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a legit tailor in Istanbul

syje

Reaction score
My last tailor in Boston was Tony Tong. He was an older guy with a ton of skill but he was hip to newer legit brands like Suit Supply. He just "got it."

I've just moved to Istanbul, and I am desperate for a local tailor who is close to what I'm used to. Even if they don't speak English, I'll be able to get by - I just need someone who "gets it."

Ideally they'd be in the Sisli area, give or take a neighboring district.

Huge huge huge thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

syje

Reaction score
I'm looking for that too. Any advice? Anyone?

Marcel is who I ended up at - His shop is in the heart of Nisantisi and he runs it with his son. Marcel was trained in Italy, speaks at least 3 or 4 languages, and is really friendly. I've picked up a few bespoke shirts and pants from him over the last couple of years that I was really happy with, and the prices are really fair, especially if you have a currency stronger than the lira. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want, he's friendly and professional but he can be a bit pushy.

Oh also if you buy a shirt, he'll make a little pocket square out of the excess fabric, but most of us don't want a light blue oxford pocket square - more practical though, he'll now make a mask instead.

He also can tailor outside stuff, like hemming pants or jacket sleeves, but I only did that in the same trip where I'd buy a shirt or something, just out of courtesy.

Happy to answer other questions :)

syje

Reaction score
Do you find other alternatives?

No, but Marcel has been good for me.

When I first moved here I looked for a tailor only for alterations. I found these guys - https://www.sartorianapoletana.com - but in an email he said they only make stuff, they don't alter things. He knew a guy who could help me though. And the extremely Turkish followup from him was that he offered to meet me at his store and personally drive me out to this other guys shop (in Bebek or something iirc). I didn't have time for a Bebek trip at the time, and then I found Marcel and he helped. But if you are looking to get things made (mtm/bespoke) then maybe give the Sartoria folks a try, they were really nice to me and that must be worth something!

flows

Reaction score
Thanks! You are so kind. I am really looking for a good value for money shirt maker to work with Soktas.

syje

Reaction score
Thanks! You are so kind. I am really looking for a good value for money shirt maker to work with Soktas.

Soktas looks like they have great stuff. I'm not sure if Marcel or Sartoria will take outside fabric, not sure how tailors feel about that in general, but it's worth a shot!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads