• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a car...

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
That has a high resale value and is in high demand. I'm likely going to need to find something to hold me over until I can get my RX-8, and I want something that isn't going to lose a lot of value and won't be that hard to move. Thoughts? Thanks!

SirWilliam

Reaction score
$8k is not a lot to work with. But I would recommend a MB 450SL...they are reliable and definitely will not lose any value.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used Honda Syphic

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a thread on TCL and a few members posted that they got great deals on brand new diesel jettas and sold them at some point for practically the same price. This was months ago so I may be omitting or imagining things.

Benzito

Reaction score
You didn't say what kind of car.

Boxsters have probably hit their floors at around $7,500 to $9,000. Same with early BMW Z3 convertibles. Or buy something well older (60s / 70s) that can be deemed a "classic" that will hold its value as a collectible.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honda Civic, VW Golf or Ford Focus. As mentioned earlier diesel VW's have excellent resale value. You'll be looking at mid-90's to early 00 models for your price range.

MB, BMW or Porsche (seriously?) while good cars are usually not as easy to move because of their limited appeal and will carry higher running costs.

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
$8k is not a lot to work with. But I would recommend a MB 450SL...they are reliable and definitely will not lose any value.
You can buy a hundred of them today, for $3500 or less. I'd say they have lost a heck of a lot of value.

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Honda Civic, VW Golf or Ford Focus. As mentioned earlier diesel VW's have excellent resale value. You'll be looking at mid-90's to early 00 models for your price range.

MB, BMW or Porsche (seriously?) while good cars are usually not as easy to move because of their limited appeal and will carry higher running costs.

Yes, seriously. They keep their value. A Z3 or Boxster are entry level for the marque, but still nice upscale cars, and used models won't depreciate nearly as much as a Ford (!) or VW.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Yes, seriously. They keep their value. A Z3 or Boxster are entry level for the marque, but still nice upscale cars, and used models won't depreciate nearly as much as a Ford (!) or VW.
They don't fit the OP's criteria of being easy to sell. Plus, a Boxster in his price range is not going to be in very good condition and they're already known to be unreliable.

The Ford Focus is a surprisingly good car. I was surprised when I needed to find a cheap and reliable car a little while ago and they kept coming up again and again as solid cars that maintain their value. VW diesels also offer some of the best mpg and resale value in North American and European markets today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads