• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London - MTM/Semi-bespoke suit advice needed (Budget: Below £1k)

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't need to visit Graham Browne just because you want classic fabrics. I daresay that most tailors will have the big names (Holland & Sherry, Harrison's etc). In any case, I think the priority for the OP is to get a well-cut suit (with fabric playing an important, though slightly secondary role). In addition, if a first suit is a nice shade of navy or charcoal, most, if not all tailoring houses will have something they can offer.
As I've reiterated, I've only seen a couple of suits coming out from Graham Browne that would pass muster, and my poor experience there has changed my opinion on them. The adage is true -- if it's (Graham Browne's prices) too good to be true, it probably isn't. If, however, the OP has had some experience bespeaking suits, and has confidence in directing the tailor, then you might consider using Browne, though there are many tailors better than him at marginally higher prices.

I actually meant never trust a UK tailor to make you a suit that will have the Italian vibe, I have not met a UK tailor that can handle paper weight stuff well yet, in the other side of the world, I think Hong Kong tailors are very good with light fabrics. anyway, thanks for the input.

I have tried Graham Browne myself, and I can say their garment making is top notch However I don't think their pattern cutting skills is on par with the big names, hence the price difference, plus you better be specific of the fit e.g. shoulder width and length with GB, they don't give much constructive advices.

partoftheweeken

Reaction score
Just got 2 suits from Suit Supply in Lime Street a couple months ago. Both MTM in super 110 for £500 each. Pretty pleased with them.

I can post pictures up if you want. I don't know much about suits but the cut seems very modern, I have broad shoulders and it softens them up a bit but is still very slim fitting round the waist. I'm not used to tailored suits so it feels a little like the suit is "holding" me, not sure if that is good or not?!

Obviously it blows my previous suits out of the water (either M&S suits and an off the peg Paul Smith one), and I'm very happy with them but I don't know how it compares to others to be honest...

Benzoid

Reaction score
Ah please do! Would love to see some pictures of some suits from suitsupply to do a comparison.

partoftheweeken

Reaction score
Sure thing, Ill do it this weekend. I wanted to get them on here anyway to check in the Tailors thread before I get it adjusted.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually meant never trust a UK tailor to make you a suit that will have the Italian vibe, I have not met a UK tailor that can handle paper weight stuff well yet, in the other side of the world, I think Hong Kong tailors are very good with light fabrics. anyway, thanks for the input.
I have tried Graham Browne myself, and I can say their garment making is top notch However I don't think their pattern cutting skills is on par with the big names, hence the price difference, plus you better be specific of the fit e.g. shoulder width and length with GB, they don't give much constructive advices.

You are absolutely right about HK cutters being capable of handling light cloths and British ones generally much less so. Your GB suit looked fine as I recall although he did not cut your trousers as you preferred- fish tail back.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are absolutely right about HK cutters being capable of handling light cloths and British ones generally much less so. Your GB suit looked fine as I recall although he did not cut your trousers as you preferred- fish tail back.

Yes, his (and Simon's coats) was one of the better ones. Though there was a little balance problem with the front of the coat riding upwards.

I'm interested though if it's true that heavy cloth drapes better? I was speaking with Patrick and he seems to think that the lighter Holland and Sherry drapes better than the Lesser 11/12 oz I showed him.

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score

Due to having no intermediate fitting, you mean? O'Flynn got my pattern nearly right on the trial shirt with only one minor adjustment needed so that model certainly seems to work well in his hands.

Although O'Flynn is not true-bespoke, I cannot criticise his skill; will definitely use him again - I was just using it as example of semi-bespoke

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep, not major problem there.

Macallan

Reaction score

Fitting a coat is harder than fitting a jacket? Possibly? So I'm not sure if it's an apt comparison.

Whether something is more difficult to 'fit' or not, is a different discussion to whether something is bespoke or semi-bespoke. For example, my Cad & The Dandy suit has a bespoke jacket but semi-bespoke trousers, the latter was made straight to finish.

Does it really matter if something is bespoke or semi-bespoke, not if it fits; but then again, this is Style Forum.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whether something is more difficult to 'fit' or not, is a different discussion to whether something is bespoke or semi-bespoke. For example, my Cad & The Dandy suit has a bespoke jacket but semi-bespoke trousers, the latter was made straight to finish.
Does it really matter if something is bespoke or semi-bespoke, not if it fits; but then again, this is Style Forum.

What I meant was that a semi-bespoke shirt might fit far better than a MTM jacket because it's far easier to fit a shirt etc. hence I'm not convinced that one should use an experience with a semi-bespoke shirt maker as a benchmark to predict whether a MTM coat will fit just as well.

Joeaverage

Reaction score
Wanted to add to whippingboy's thoughts re Elizabeth Radcliffe - aside from being an Arsenal fan thoroughly pleased with everything she's made for me.
cool little spot in cockpit arts also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads