• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London hotel insanity- $300 for a 3 star ?!?

Sebb

Reaction score
I'm doing a last minute trip to London next week and am shocked that Priceline is showing median hotel prices for 3 stars (not 4 stars) at $350 a night
eh.gif
The cheapest of the 3 stars are like $250 sort of at the edge of the center of the city (Best Western,etc). I bid up to $135 for a 3* on Name your own Price and stopped after being rejected.... are prices really that extreme? weak dollar I guess?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stoooop

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
£200 per night is quite good. Even out here in the sticks hotels charge about that. Staying in central London at weekends you usually pay £400 ($600) per night for a 4*.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to get a cheap, central accomodation, try out easyhotel. You pay about 40-60$ per night there. But beware, it's really small.
laugh.gif

Else you have to pay that amount of money. Paris e.g. is that expensive, too.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peak season, otherwise it is quite affordable.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're buying now for a trip next week. Also, yes, the dollar is incredibly weak. Could see the DXY drop below 70 soon.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
If you're looking for something for $135 a night, you're going to have to make a few compromises. That's only about £85 or so, which isn't going to get you much. You could try lastminute.com's 'Secret Hotel' thing where they just give you a vague description of the place and only tell you after you make your booking (which can't be cancelled).

Proximity to the centre of town, or lack thereof, isn't so important as how good the transport links are. Somewhere like Shepherd's Bush maybe, where you'll have direct transport into the centre and there's the Westfield nearby. Or Docklands maybe. The number of decent hotels does drop off pretty sharply as you get outside the centre.

And there's Airbnb, but as it's not a hotel you'll need to be a bit more carefull and make sure you get one in a decent location.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably because you didn't plan ahead of time. Last year, I scored a room at the Mandeville in Marylebone for a little more than a hundred pounds a night via Hotwire.

But in any case, like others have pointed out, you're not gonna get much for 135 bucks in London.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turn your dollars into pounds and you will get a proper hotel in London. Otherwise, be happy you survive on anything less than 100 quid within Zone 1 and 2; allegedly with it's own bathroom.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visit the website www.betterbidding.com They have a forum dedicated to priceline and hotwire that can help you figure out what other people are paying for hotels in the city you are visiting, and they can help you come up with a bidding strategy.

You may just have to ratchet up your budget to around $155, or maybe you're SOL. One of the things they told me is that you don't necessarily get a better deal by waiting until the last minute. If business for a hotel suddenly picks up at the last minute, they don't offer good deals on priceline. So really it's a bit of a crapshoot.

If you're just going for sightseeing and you don't mind taking a 30-40 minute subway ride into central london in the morning and out in the evening, you can go to a hotel in outside of central london, just be careful what neighborhood you pick.

There's actually a Best Western in Barking which is a neighborhood in east London which opened up less than a year ago in that has rooms around the $150 mark. It would make a good base if you plan to sleep there and spend your days exploring. My family has an apartment in the apartment complex next door. The neighborhood is OK, but nothing fancy. It's very close to a tube station, and very easy to get to all the touristy spots. Just a thought.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...x_England.html

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try Number Sixteen in South Kensington. It's small but decently elegant. I've sometimes put friends there when the house is full.

freedom_fries

Reaction score

London is disastrously expensive, I am amazed how people live there.

i feel the same way. i remember finally seeing the bill after having stayed at the berkely a few times because that was where the company people always stayed, and thinking what the F? we eventually shifted to a cheaper hotel, but it was still something like 250-300 pounds a night or so.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamonyx