• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Logic Behind Italian Sizing?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A size 40 US Jacket is meant for someone with a 40 inch chest. Seems logical. What's the logic behind Italian sizing? Where does the "50" come from for a 40 inch chest?

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you mean Italian sizing and not the new EU sizing system.

A 50 is 100 cm. So multiply the size by 2 and you've got cm. Convert from cm to inches if you can't handle cm.

Last edited:

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You are right. For the Italian sizing for coats, it's the chest diameter in cm divided by 2. Of course this varies of lot on cuts and manufacturers.

I live in Switzerland where is a mix of Italian, French and German sizing which drives my crazy. For trousers and shoes is also complicated, but you have to know the origin of the brand and sometimes you have on the tag the sizes for different countries.

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, I thought it would have to do with cm, but I thought since it was 2.54cm/inch that it would screw with the sizing too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads