• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stemo79

Reaction score
I have shoes in a range of sizes. My Chester's are 9s. Two pairs of Tricker's are 8 and a half, as are the other Loakes. The Buckinghams and Strands are snug fitting and my Chesters fit very well and I don't have inserts in any of them. I have put insoles back in the Trickers. These are my newest shoes and I guess they need a bit more wearing in before they will be fully comfortable without insoles.

I've got a pair of Doc Marten's suede shoes which are 10s and also fit very well.

Your Chester's are a size 9 and your Buckinghams/Strands are 8.5s!? That's very odd.

Last edited:

Odradek

Reaction score

Your Chester's are a size 9 and your Buckinghams/Strands are 8.5s!? That's very odd.

I think there's a certain inconsistency in Loake sizing.

My Hydes, Aldwychs, and Strands (Capital last) are a a size 7, and I've had to put insoles in the Hydes and sometimes in the StrandsStrands. On the other hand, my Burford boots (024 last), in size 7 are too small.
I should have returned them right away, but wore them outside and am now planning to sell them.

I also have a pair of Asquiths on the Swing last, and they of course run very large.

Last edited:

Stemo79

Reaction score
I think there's a certain inconsistency in Loake sizing.

My Hydes, Aldwychs, and Strands (Capital last) are a a size 7, and I've had to put insoles in the Hydes and sometimes in the StrandsStrands. On the other hand, my Burford boots (024 last), in size 7 are too small.
I should have returned them right away, but wore them outside and am now planning to sell them.

I also have a pair of Asquiths on the Swing last, and they of course run very large.
I guess there will always be exceptions, personally I take the Chester in a 9 where as Capital or Claridge lasts I'm a 10. My foot length is 28cm which is a bang on size 10 for length but obviously shape, width and height play a big part in how a shoe fits. 024 is a country last so it is intentionally bigger in dimensions than your standard F fit to incorporate thicker socks, theoretically it should fit larger than the other more true to size lasts that Loake have...

Odradek

Reaction score

I guess there will always be exceptions, personally I take the Chester in a 9 where as Capital or Claridge lasts I'm a 10. My foot length is 28cm which is a bang on size 10 for length but obviously shape, width and height play a big part in how a shoe fits. 024 is a country last so it is intentionally bigger in dimensions than your standard F fit to incorporate thicker socks, theoretically it should fit larger than the other more true to size lasts that Loake have...

Yes, that's why it's so weird that the 024 is the tightest fitting of all the Loake shoes I own.

Odradek

Reaction score

Out of interest, where is the tightness in the Burfords? Over the vamp, sides or front?

Very slightly tight on length, but I could live with that. You could call it snug.
The main problem is they are tight on width, particularly around where my little toe goes. Left boot rubs my little toe.
Had them stretched for width at the cobblers, but it hasn't made a difference.

Carl1955

Reaction score
Very slightly tight on length, but I could live with that. You could call it snug.
The main problem is they are tight on width, particularly around where my little toe goes. Left boot rubs my little toe.
Hi

I bought a pair of Loake Burford boots with the Rubber sole last month and I've worn them about half a dozen times and creamed & waxed them but they are still tight (width) I've been to M&S this morning already and bought 3 pairs of thin Cotton socks which hopefully may help a little.

Carl

Stemo79

Reaction score

I know the 024 is shorter than the the Capital, however the 1cm of extra length is more for the aesthetic and shouldnt impact on the fit, as you probably know the longest point of any shoe is not relevant to the actual fit of the shoe. This normally just adds to dead space at the end. The 024 has a wider toe than capital but is more shallow, this could be the issue but as far as I can see 024 is wider and deeper across the main vamp area. Peculiar.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got quite a few pairs of shoes and I haven't found many constants in the question of fit. There are quite a few surprises when you try shoes on. But, for me, this is the only test: don't rely too much on stated shoe sizes - try on a range of sizes and see what fits. My man in the shoe shop has sometimes said, 'try these on before I tell you the size and last'. It's a good test and has got me some really well fitting shoes.

Thanasi

Reaction score
I'm after a dark brown suede chukka to wear with my navy and charcoal suits, and have narrowed down the following options:

Gosford II
Kempton
Pimlico

I have several pairs of Herrings and my size is always 11G. However, the abovementioned chukka boots only come in F width. Do I go with the 11F or go up to a size 12F? Which one of these boots is really wider?

The other option I'm considering is the Church Ryder III. However, these are quite pricey at almost double the price. Are they worth it?

Webbo

Reaction score
I have all 3 of these boots ( and all in the same size 10.5). Between the Pimlico and the Kempton the Pimlico for me is wider. The Ryder I have in G fitting and is probably the widest (just). For wear with suits the Pimlico is best and probably better value than the Ryder.

Thanasi

Reaction score
So, the Pimlico is a dark enough chocolate brown to be able to wear with suits? I'm trying to stay away from a lighter shade of brown. Herring told me last week that the last for Pimlico is the narrowest and I was better going up to the next size.

It's hard making these decisions from online photos. The shade of suede could differ according to each batch.

Webbo

Reaction score
Definitely the Pimlico is the only one I would say is dark enough for suits. I am actually sized up in all 3 to 10.5. I take 10 in all other shoes. The Kempton is on the shortest of lasts, the Pimlico on the most tapered (but good width) and the Ryder length close to the Kempton but the G fitting is wider. Hope this helps.

Thanasi

Reaction score
Why exactly do you feel the G fitting in the Ryder is not the best option to wear with a suit?

And, if you also don't mind me asking - why do you have all three pairs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads