• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3y3scream

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Mine is on the 173 last. I read that the cannon is of F fitting, and I really don't mind having a slightly sleeker fit. Just wondering how I should size it...

Claus

Reaction score

Thanks for the quick reply! Mine is on the 173 last. I read that the cannon is of F fitting, and I really don't mind having a slightly sleeker fit. Just wondering how I should size it...

I have no data on the UK 7.0 of the Capital last in F when UK 6.5 of the 173 last in G fits.

However, there's good data on the UK 6.5 for the Capital. The size should work. Since you wrote that you don't mind a tighter fit, it's a reasonable decision to go with that.

Note that pre-selecting a last only seldom results in a very good fit, so you should be prepared to bring these shoes to a cobbler for modifications (widening, inlays, etc.).

Hope this helps. :)

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Loake shoes and I am not a particular fan of the brand, I just think they offer a decent value at retail price and look good without making much of a statement.

If I have an F fitting size 9 for one model that fits me well, does that mean that I should order F9 for all other Loake shoes, including boots? Interested in the Hyde boot for winter. The alternative would be the Outlaw suede captoe shoe. Thoughts/experiences?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You amuse me SwedishFish! You say "I don't know anything about Loake shoes and I am not a particular fan of the brand..." You go on to write about which Loake shoes you would like to buy and that you might want to order more in the future! If you don't particularly like them and don't know anything about them, it might be best to go to a shoe shop and try some on - or at least to look at them. Who knows? You might get to like them.

SwedishFish

Reaction score

You amuse me SwedishFish! You say "I don't know anything about Loake shoes and I am not a particular fan of the brand..." You go on to write about which Loake shoes you would like to buy and that you might want to order more in the future! If you don't particularly like them and don't know anything about them, it might be best to go to a shoe shop and try some on - or at least to look at them. Who knows? You might get to like them. 

Sorry, what I meant to say is that I am not particularly invested in the brand as such and do not know much about Loake. For the record, I am not invested in any shoe maker—shoes just do not interest me. However, I still need shoes and I have purchased a few Loake shoes in the past because local retailers happened to have the particular style I was looking for at the moment at a decent full retail price point and they happened to be Loake shoes. The shoes as such have served me well and as I once again need new shoes, I figured I might attempt making an informed decision and order online thus saving money and, ideally, sparing myself a trip to the shoe store.

zarkov

Reaction score

Sorry, what I meant to say is that I am not particularly invested in the brand as such and do not know much about Loake. For the record, I am not invested in any shoe maker—shoes just do not interest me. However, I still need shoes and I have purchased a few Loake shoes in the past because local retailers happened to have the particular style I was looking for at the moment at a decent full retail price point and they happened to be Loake shoes. The shoes as such have served me well and as I once again need new shoes, I figured I might attempt making an informed decision and order online thus saving money and, ideally, sparing myself a trip to the shoe store.

Do you know the name of the shoes you bought in the past? If so, you can look up what last they're made on and buy shoes on the same last, they should be a pretty good fit (although there are some minor variations).

Loake lasts have names like "Capital", "Claridge", "024" or "026" among others. 024 is a last mostly used for boots, it's rather roomy so if you take the plunge you'll probably want to size down half a size. Capital is mostly used for oxfords and derbies, much sleeker than 024 and 026.

Keep in mind that Loake have several lines of varying quality and price. The best line is called 1880 and retails for around £200-220 in the UK.

SwedishFish

Reaction score

Do you know the name of the shoes you bought in the past? If so, you can look up what last they're made on and buy shoes on the same last, they should be a pretty good fit (although there are some minor variations).

Loake lasts have names like "Capital", "Claridge", "024" or "026" among others. 024 is a last mostly used for boots, it's rather roomy so if you take the plunge you'll probably want to size down half a size. Capital is mostly used for oxfords and derbies, much sleeker than 024 and 026.

Keep in mind that Loake have several lines of varying quality and price. The best line is called 1880 and retails for around £200-220 in the UK.

Actually, my initial failed post was prompted by brief research after seeing the Hyde boot on another website whereby I established that I definitely own a model called '747' (http://www.loake.co.uk/byrange/loake-shoemakers/747.html) that I am sure is a faux pas model on here, which apparently is an 'F fitting' just like the Hyde. The 747 is on the 3625 last whereas the Hyde is on the Capital last. I cannot find my other Loake model listed on the site so I assume it is no longer in production, but it is also fully leather lined and I believe I bought it for around £140-£150, likely on sale (I cannot remember). Either way, this particular 747 shoe in size 9 is more or less a perfect fit. I usually wear UK 9.5, but with this one I went down as the 9.5 felt too wide, and while they were the most painful shoes to break in that I've ever owned, they have aged very well, and I am very pleased with the value. I think the 747 looks significantly better than my black Allen Edmonds brogue cap toe (Park Avenue?).

zarkov

Reaction score

Actually, my initial failed post was prompted by brief research after seeing the Hyde boot on another website whereby I established that I definitely own a model called '747' (http://www.loake.co.uk/byrange/loake-shoemakers/747.html) that I am sure is a faux pas model on here, which apparently is an 'F fitting' just like the Hyde. The 747 is on the 3625 last whereas the Hyde is on the Capital last. I cannot find my other Loake model listed on the site so I assume it is no longer in production, but it is also fully leather lined and I believe I bought it for around £140-£150, likely on sale (I cannot remember). Either way, this particular 747 shoe in size 9 is more or less a perfect fit. I usually wear UK 9.5, but with this one I went down as the 9.5 felt too wide, and while they were the most painful shoes to break in that I've ever owned, they have aged very well, and I am very pleased with the value. I think the 747 looks significantly better than my black Allen Edmonds brogue cap toe (Park Avenue?).

Without ever trying the 3625 and by only looking at pictures, I'd say the Capital is much sleeker. I would not size down.

If you're in the UK, both Pediwear and Herring offer free shipping. If you buy a pair of Loakes at full price from Pediwear you'll become a member of their Loake club and get 15% off all future Loake purchases.

Last edited:

SwedishFish

Reaction score

Without ever trying the 3625 and by only looking at pictures, I'd say the Capital is much sleeker. I would not size down.

If you're in the UK, both Pediwear and Herring offer free shipping. If you buy a pair of Loakes at full price from Pediwear you'll become a member of their Loake club and get 15% off all future Loake purchases.

I was looking at Pediwear but was unaware of the 15% club thing. Good to know! Being back on the Loake website I am no longer sure if I should go with a boot or just a suede shoe. I sort of like this one: http://www.loake.co.uk/byrange/loake-1880/aldwych.html. Decisions, decision...

And, yes, the 747s that I have are a bit blobby. Usually, I hate blobby shoes, but for some reason since I sized down on my pair, I find the proportions very appealing and in comparison almost makes me feel like I'm wearing bread loaves on my feet when I put on my AEs (which are so comfortable, but which don't appeal to meat all aesthetically—not buying any more of those).

Thanks for the input!

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CJ thread was not much help. The Capital last fits me slightly snug, and the 026 F fits me very well. What CJ fitting would be right for me? Their E seems too narrow, but I understand their G is extra wide?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welp. They look FANFUCKINGTASTIC with jeans. I don't like boots. I really don't like chukkas. Something about this last, and some from Meermin/Carmina, change my mind. I'd never own GG or EG chukkas. Last is too proper for a boot.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you not like Chukkas I've got 4 pairs from Loake.

Roots. Nobody in my family wore boots. I grew up watching my dad pick out his outfit to go to work. Was purely conservative business dress.

I always thought they were just ugly shoes. But it could be how people wore them. Pant hem too high or too tight, etc. Wearing them like this, and even with slacks, looks good.

Claus

Reaction score

What CJ fitting would be right for me? Their E seems too narrow, but I understand their G is extra wide?

Correct. In everyday language, C&J's "F" has the same meaning as Loake's "G".

Strictly speaking, however, width designations (ie. 'fitting' for English shoes) are relative, not absolute. Without knowing which last you're looking at, this won't be of much help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads