• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ajc2162

Reaction score
"Nil Desperandum Illegitimi Carborundum, Never Let The Bastards Get You Down"

I have been sitting here for about an hour, trying to do the 'straight bar' lacing. I got it sorted out with one pair and then lost it completely on my Strands. Life must be simpler than this, surely? All I can do is the criss cross lacing. Oh well, another hour won't hurt.

I have studied this shoe lace site (yes, really!) but I still can't work it out and it only happens, for me, by accident.
cloud.gif

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

I had the same problem. The diagrams are great and the descriptions seem perfectly clear, but each time it starts moving I lose the plot.

Let me see if I can paint a word picture based on my Aldwych that has five rows.

• You're looking down at your shoes with the laces on top and evenly inserted through the top eyelets.

• That's your first bar.

• Take the left hand lace and thread it under the third eyelet on the right - pull up and across into the other eyelet. You now have another bar.

• Pull that left hand lace again and miss a row so you now thread it under the fifth (should be the last one) eyelet on the right - pull up and out ready to tie the knot..

• Now go back to the right hand lace and do the same thing but this time you'll be forming a bar above the left hand ones - so you'll have to miss the one underneath because it's already occupied.

• Take the right hand lace and thread it under the second eyelet on the left - pull up and across into the other eyelet. Now you have a third bar.

• Now bring it under the fourth eyelet on the left - pull up and across into the other eyelet. That's the fourth bar.

• You should now be seeing four neat bars.

• Finally pull it under fifth eyelet to the left - pull up and out and you should now be able to join up with the left hand lace and you're ready to tie the knot.

Good luck and remember ..."Nil Desperandum Illegitimi Carborundum" which loosely translates into "don't let the b***tards (or shoelaces in this case) grind you down".

ajc2162

Reaction score
My sincere apologies for the heading - it wasn't supposed to be there and I don't quite know how it happened. Still finding the system takes some getting used to.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, AHC, but you would have to show me! A pair of first class tickets to the UK are in the post! Now...back to lacing...

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laces on my Chesters and those on the Capital last, seem to be a bit short. Especially if you like to double knot them. I have bought some Loake, longer laces (90cm) on Amazon. These seem to be much better. Regards and best wishes, Munky.

3y3scream

Reaction score
Just got my burgundy strand from Pediwear yesterday... excellent service. and i love the shoes! the last fits me perfect :D

looking at the cannon as my next pair.

any thoughts of the cannon? pictures would be greaaat! cant wait!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether or not I have asked this before. Do you think that tan Aldwychs would go with jeans or cords or other sorts of casual clothes? I can see that they wouldn't work with darker colours but these seem to have potential!

OzWino

Reaction score
Quote:
I'd say yeah - give it a go. I wear tan (non-Loake) gibson shoes with good casual jeans/chinos. It provides a bit of a formal edge but still casual enough given the colour. The style of the Aldwych is a little formal, but still acceptable.

benzz1987

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would like to check on the size fit for the 024 last.

I currently wear a Kempton 026 last on a UK 7 F.

I am currently considering to purchase the Loake Chester on the 024 last. I understand the 026 last is relatively similar to a Capital Last.

Hence to all who owns a Loake Chester and any other Loake's shoes on either a Capital or 026 last, should I be getting the Chester on the UK 7 F or UK 6.5 F? I understand the 024 last is somewhat bigger than the 026 last and the Capital last.

Thank You.

Odradek

Reaction score

Hi all,

Would like to check on the size fit for the 024 last. 

I currently wear a Kempton 026 last on a UK 7 F.

I am currently considering to purchase the Loake Chester on the 024 last. I understand the 026 last is relatively similar to a Capital Last. 

Hence to all who owns a Loake Chester and any other Loake's shoes on either a Capital or 026 last, should I be getting the Chester on the UK 7 F or UK 6.5 F? I understand the 024 last is somewhat bigger than the 026 last and the Capital last. 

Thank You.

I have Loake Strand, and Hyde, both on the Capital last, and both in 7F, and recently got suede Burford boots on the 024, also in 7F.
First thing I'd say is that the Hydes are roomier. I put insoles in them.

Have just worn the new Burfords once, but they feel fine, and I'd say go for your usual size. I don't feel them to be sized larger. I did have thick socks on, but it is winter, and I can wear the same thick socks with the Hydes.

Last edited:

benzz1987

Reaction score
I have Loake Strand, and Hyde, both on the Capital last, and both in 7F, and recently got suede Burford boots on the 024, also in 7F.
First thing I'd say is that the Hydes are roomier. I put insoles in them.

Have just worn the new Burfords once, but they feel fine, and I'd say go for your usual size. I don't feel them to be sized larger. I did have thick socks on, but it is winter, and I can wear the same thick socks with the Hydes.
Thanks for the advice Odradek.

Too bad in my area, we only have summer all year round, hence we wear thin comfy socks all year round.

Pediwear advice was for me to get the UK 6.5 F whilst Herrings told me to go ahead with the UK 7 F. As a result, trying to get some inputs from the forums.

Many thanks.

barfoed

Reaction score
I have Aldwych on the capital last, Chester on 024 and Bedale on the Pennie last. My foot is about avarage width so I followed Pediwear's advice and sized down for the Chester. That was tight on the little toes. Had them for a month noe and they are a lot better. Still if I should get another pair I would considering the same size as in the capital last. I also sized down for the Bedale on the Pennie last. That was fine witdth wise but the last is shorter than the 024 last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads