• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stemo79

Reaction score
Just spotted a store on ebay selling a pair of Loake Buckinghams in blue.

Factory seconds, but blue is not currently listed as a colour for the Buckingham.
Something coming down the pipeline?
Theres certainly nothing in the pipeline for spring summer 2016 as Ive seen the new styles.

The likelihood is that this is a sample pair commissioned by a retailer. It's odd though as Loake do not make any shoes in blue calf leather and generally (I could be wrong) any MTO styles are limited to the materials and lasts they already have in use.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone, here, worn tan Aldwych shoes with jeans or other casual trousers?

shiroang

Reaction score
Beautiful strand!

What's the best place in the US to get loake 1880s

Thanks! :D

That I can't answer you, as I'm based in Singapore.
I ordered this pair from Robinsons' Shoes though, when they have 20% off Loake few weekends back.

hoxuantu

Reaction score
Is there anyone getting the great deal on Gilt.com today? They offer variaty of Loake shoes and boots.

hoxuantu

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I'd stick with 10.5 if I were you.
I have the Strand in a 7 and recently got the Hyde boots on the same Capital last in a 7. The boots are roomier and I ended up putting insoles in them.
Could you provide the link of insoles you bought?

Odradek

Reaction score

Could you provide the link of insoles you bought?

Sorry, but they are just some cheap ones I bought at the shoe repair shop here in town.
I didn't kep the wrapper and don't know the brand.
Leather, but nothing fancy.I think they cost about £5.

hoxuantu

Reaction score
Sorry, but they are just some cheap ones I bought at the shoe repair shop here in town.
I didn't kep the wrapper and don't know the brand.
Leather, but nothing fancy.I think they cost about £5.
Are they rubber or leather?

WillisAU

Reaction score
I got my first pair of "proper shoes" this week - Loake Aldwych in Mahogany. Picked them up from Pediwear before they stopped shipping Loake to Australia (as of 1st Nov), along with some Saphir Renovateur, a horsehair brush and a free shoe horn + polish.

I'm very happy with them, although the leather soles are slippery as hell and Loake advising against fitting a topy to the soles, but I think I'll break my neck if I don't.

I've also got some shoe trees on the way (Charles Tyrwhitt), and should be here next week. What's the consensus on wearing the shoes for a week without trees? Will the damage be reversible once I get the trees in them for the rest of their lives?

Last edited:

BingoLiddle

Reaction score

I got my first pair of "proper shoes" this week - Loake Aldwych in Mahogany. Picked them up from Pediwear before they stopped shipping Loake to Australia (as of 1st Nov), along with some Saphir Renovateur, a horsehair brush and a free shoe horn + polish.

I'm very happy with them, although the leather soles are slippery as hell and Loake advising against fitting a topy to the soles, but I think I'll break my neck if I don't. 

I've also got some shoe trees on the way (Charles Tyrwhitt), and should be here next week.  What's the consensus on wearing the shoes for a week without trees?  Will the damage be reversible once I get the trees in them for the rest of their lives?

Congratulations on your first pair of "proper shoes" - they look great! You'll find a heck of a lot of shoe care advice and tips to sift through here on SF. There are a couple of ground rules though that most (all?) swear by: (1) Never wear the same shoes on consecutive days and (2) Always use shoe trees.

I'd be itching to wear those new shoes too if I were you but I recommend you wait for the shoe trees to arrive. You won't regret it.

ajc2162

Reaction score
Good choice WillisAU. Aldwych is a nice shoe - I have them in dark brown. Was considering the mahogany but I also like brogues so settled on the Strand.

Personally I wouldn't wear your new shoes constantly for a week. It's better to insert shoe trees immediately after taking them off, and rotating them with others on a 2-3 day basis. It's not law however and is a matter of personal preference - so while it probably won't do any real harm, why run the risk?

I wasn't aware that Loake advised against topying - but no matter, I choose to topy all mine. I did try them au natural to begin with, but I didn't enjoy the constant feeling that I was walking on ice with my feet about to go from under me.

You mentioned the Loake cut-off on shipping to Australia - how dumb are they? Like you, I've got my Loakes from those great UK on-line places like Pediwear, Shoehealer and Herring and had plans for more. But now all they've done with their embargo is lose a previously happy customer and give me a reason to investigate the other brands that SF people rave about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads