• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean boot sizing?

bullethead

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair in the with the waxed cotton uppers. they do run big. i would suggest an 11 which would give you plenty of room for a thick sock. No experience on the ice yet.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. They run a bit big, and when it's cold you will want to wear thick socks with them. These boots are as good on ice as anything can be.

ville_e

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. I went for a size 11 as you recommended. Hopefully they will fit well. Thanks again !
smile.gif

Narwhale

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of the bison. I'm a 7.5 in GTs and ordered a 7, so we'll see how it works out.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I agree. They run a bit big, and when it's cold you will want to wear thick socks with them. These boots are as good on ice as anything can be.

They definitely run large, as they are designed to be worn with (very) thick socks. IIRC, the Bean website has some good guidelines for how to fit yourself for these boots because they fit so large. Good news is, Bean is fantastic about returns, so if they don't fit, no big deal!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit of the L.L.Bean Boot is generous to allow for insulation in cold weather.To wear with light or midweight socks: If you wear a whole size, order one size down from your normal size. If you wear a half size, order one and a half sizes down.Example: If you wear either a 9 or a 9½, order a size 8.To wear with heavyweight socks: If you wear a whole size, order your normal size. If you wear a half size, order the next whole size down.Example: If you wear either a 9 or a 9½, order a size 9

are they referring to dress shoe or sneaker size?

if I am an 8.5E or 9D in dress shoes, and will wear with thin socks, I should order... 8?

(will mostly wear with thin socks b/c I'm ordering the thinsulate version and I own mostly thin socks. but would hate to buy something impossible to wear with thicker socks)

order 8 EE?

Narwhale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
are they referring to dress shoe or sneaker size?

if I am an 8.5E or 9D in dress shoes, and will wear with thin socks, I should order... 8?

(will mostly wear with thin socks b/c I'm ordering the thinsulate version and I own mostly thin socks. but would hate to buy something impossible to wear with thicker socks)

order 8 EE?

I'm getting mine Tuesday so I'll let you know. I ordered one size down from dress shoes, 1/2 size down from Red Wings.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the site tell you to size up or down on a particular boot?

Narwhale

Reaction score
I actually got these in today. As noted above, I wear 8 in most normal dress shoes, 7.5 in Red Wing GTs, and a 7 is good in these (I got the bison leather, but it probably doesn't matter for sizing). I have plenty of room even when wearing fairly heavy hiking socks, and when it gets cold I should be able to wear 2 pair with no problem. They seem nice; the only complaint I have is the included laces were too short to lace all the way, but I got some leather laces that should work. I'm planning on using Sno-Seal on the leather tonight. If anyone has any more questions I'll try to answer them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads