• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen pocket squares for black-tie

johnci

Reaction score
Hey all. I recently asked for some advice on wedding attire, and was steered strongly towards white linen pocket squares to accent the black tuxes and white shirts my groomsmen and I are wearing. I just got them in the mail from a company called Wickham House through a retailer called Etsy.com.

They aren't as white as my tux shirt. I don't want to call them eggshell or off-white, but there is a slight color difference. Is that to be expected with linen? I can add pics when I get home if that helps. Right now I think it looks a little odd.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, they don't have to be the same. In fact, it's probably even better that they are slightly off.

johnci

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I kinda agree. Linen is a casual kinda material. Also, it could look busy with a boutineer.

Bumping for a few more opinions. Uh, price drop on my 2cents...now just about worthless

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few classic and new examples that appear to be white linen.

First the classic guys:

Marilyn_Monroe_Lauren_Bacall_Humphrey_Bogart.jpg

Celebrity-Image-Fred-Astaire---Ginger-Rogers-238636.jpg

Now, for a more modern approach:

james-bond-daniel-craig-in-tom-ford-tux-cropped.jpg

brad-pitt-tom-ford-ft0103-hunter.jpg

Since it is for a wedding, I would suggest that you get some photos off the wedding web site The Knot and see how it looks in the context of a wedding group and ceremony.

My personal opinion is that a high quality white linen pocket square will look great in photos against your black tux and it's stiffness will hold it's shape better throughout the ceremony and reception than any other material. White linen will be an attractive compliment to your wife's white dress as well and goes with any boutineer.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Linen is a casual kinda material. Also, it could look busy with a boutineer.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Fine linen is one of the most classic, elegant materials. How could a white PS possibly be busy with a boutineer?????
facepalm.gif

Montrachet

Reaction score
If you're going classic black tie, a white linen pocket square is how it's done. If in your case, it looks more like an ivory color compared to the shirt, that's fine because it will make the look appear less manufactured and more human.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im not sure if I like the idea of a linen PS for black tie. Too contradictory for me.

This guy doesn't seem to agree with you on that......

103106_tomford_400X400.jpg

813759642.jpg

esq-tom-ford-winner-030710-lg.jpg

tomford_tuxedo_oscars.jpg

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Fine linen is one of the most classic, elegant materials. How could a white PS possibly be busy with a boutineer?????
facepalm.gif

+1

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like cream silk over white linen, but the pics posted with white linen look great.

Will C.

Reaction score
White linen is the most 'correct' choice for black tie, if that matters to you, because white linen is what pocket handkerchiefs were in the 19th century, before men started wearing silk ones. It makes sense that the older, historically correct handkerchief is what goes with formal evening dress.

It's similar to the difference between wingtips and captoes. The ornateness of wingtips may seem more formal to someone who is unfamiliar with the historical nuances, but from the point of view of tradition (which formality is based on), formality is associated with greater simplicity, so wingtips are wrong for evening clothes, and even (from a very conservative point of view) worsted city suits.

There's also the other thing, which is not limited to black tie specifically, regarding textures. With the silk tie, silk lapel facings, and (possibly) patent leather shoes, a little spot of linen helps to balance out all that lustre.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads