• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lil' Wayne is killing it right now.......

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
What other way would they pronounce words? Do you want to here Ghost rapping in proper English? Nas with the Locust Valley Lockjaw?
I don't have a problem with either of those guys. In fact, I've stated numerous times in this very thread that I think GFK is a thousand times the rapper that Wayne is. There is a distinct difference between this:
Bricks, Tar caps, powder, cooked up crack Phones is tapped over franklin's stacks Kingpins put in bullpens, old connects get paro' Break out of town when the Jakes take down the Pharoah Reason, He was moving that peruvian white blowing coolies into hoopties , slamming cuties and ice big heavy pots over hot stoves Mayonnaise jars of water with rocks in them got my whole projects out of order A Kilo is a thousand grams Beige, gold, brown, dirty, fluffy, tan, extract oil cut from cuban plants The chemist is brolic, pyrex scholars Professors at war over raw, killing partners for a million dollars
And this:
Brim leanin, cup tilted, blunt flickin Get money, **** bitches Young Weezy, young pimpin, she love it I keep goin, she keep cumin, what you know bout it So bout it...like Master P... but no coward No I am no Howard the duck duck Lead showers, black flowers Black dresses, two hours, closed casket Ma dough tactics is so crafty No laughter, I do that after I get the dough bastards I get the dough faster, what if I flowed faster Like... oh Nancy the flow's plastic, automatic, I'm More drastic, ain't no names compared to me Who are you, where are ya, I can't see, ya air to me Ya not there to me, I ain't fuckin wit you ***** ****** I'm fuckin ya sis *****, it's Weezy
I.E. One uses actual words, and has a point. The other is so caught up in its style that it actually says nothing. "Ma dough tactics is so crafty, no laughter, I do that after I get the dough bastards." This is the kind of **** I'm talking about. Great, so it rhymes. Is there a point to this verse? This sentance? I can clearly tell you what GFK's verse is discussing, because he is actually saying something, not just spitting out rhyming slang words without any meaning or reasoning behind it.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Lil Wayne but as far as the best lyricists in my opinion I'd have to go with Virtuoso, Immortal Technique, Sabac Red, Nas, and Kurupt among others. My current favorite song at the moment is Man of the Hour by Virtuoso. It's a long song without a true chorus (I copied it off a website, so forgive the spelling errors)...

I've noticed those in power have no alterior motive
than to kill the inferior with corrosive chemicals
the virtuos locust internally tearing ya with explosives
whole infirmaries scared of ya cause your throatless
my inerno be searing ya till it's hopeless
I'll incinerate you in my crematory
innovator what I breathe is gory, disinegrate ya no need for stories
for the police, my flow heat leave no evidence
no sediment I burn books, theres no testament
to the savage thing, that the battle king
does when I stab and swing, slice jupiter, slash saturns rings
splinter venus, then leave the man in the moon
wounded in operating rooms being fed by intravenus
seen as off the radar, my dark laser
will drop eight stars, and chop holes through quasars
a powerhouse, brute force like rouge elephants
runaway rhinocerous, cut out they asophagus
ask most I'm half ghost the last rebel
smash metal like cinderblocks tied to gas pedals
sjull spit a full clip chest left holy like a pulpit
head and neck snapped like a bullwhip
mind is an elaborate, hazardous labyrinth
filled with ravenous, savages the flow hazarous
like rapids with white water to fights slaughter
I might order executions, slice quarters with mic cords for retribution
I"ll leave your life torn in destitution
we need a resolution, your death is the best solution
my evolution break down your institutional practice
fascists want my name on the blacklist
earths axis, cracked with so much force
when I was born it was torn from the back of Atlas
I smash this track with mjolner
born chief viking soldier, zero celcius blood, life is colder
like a polar cap in nova scotia
souls are at rest, as you digest a whole gallon of amonia
born stoner mom's smoked lie at my birth
fell from heaven and was raised as a child of the earth
reverse the first curse of the final conflict
go beyond which famous landmarks osam hit
kids armed with glocks, conference talks lead to concerts
of nuclear weapons for years to this fate we've been destined
food for thought too hot for ingestion
spit wrecking every intestine in your mid-section
blaze and scathe your place of residence
no trace of evidence
steal a briefcase from the president
lace residents, of every race with letters sent
revealing plots and plans of which every man should be hesitant
angel of doom, carve his name in the moon
stop his wife from reproducing when I mangle her womb
let the anger consume, my mind hang your platoon
for sport I leave your corpse laying strangled in tombs
I'm burying neandrethal man, stab up a mastodon
ask saddam who blast the bombs, they run this like decathalons
the masters calm like ghandi but they got me
cocky, wanna see Virt convert to a nazi?
pay the holocaust, it's too late to call it off
I throw flows that burn foes like molotov
I burst on the scene, my words are machines
to murder your team, you want dope? I'm serving the fiends
with blood curdling screams, as your team stretch on the rack
chest has been cracked, no cartilage is left in your back
I'm letting you rap, don't take the fact for granted
it's like my biggest fan is trying ta manage a plan which will do me damage
your man's fam is, laid bare like damn pandas
if they can't stand us, I make they back slam canvas
crush! original bum rush ya' lose
we hard granite, the ******* best on the planet
shine for light years, steaming hot like the amazon
in your nightmares but dissapear when the cameras on
a vampire, there's no captured image
raps smash your gimmicks till that ass is finished
boxing with walkmans slap dats
contact fists with compact discs while vinyl scratches like a *****
violent sprays, leave my opponents in states of silent praise
trapped inside the tyrants maze, fire will fry ya' in my iron cage
my violent lions have been enraged
by violins and sirens that thunder from center stage
slicing throats, every full moon like a lycanthrope
life is cloaked in darkness, watch us knife the pope
or any other ****** catholic bastard
caught ****** children kill them and gas the casket
and throw a match lit, till it burns to ashes
and place the remains in a urn and smash it
I'm the massive, volcanic eruption that happens
when comets are thrusting through the earths crust in-
to its core for internal combustion
imagine if you heard a discussion, between Stephen Hawking
and Aristotle talking, while comparing models of the universe
that's what it's like to follow when I use a verse
the insight in my mind, is the height of design
my rhymes Frank Lloyd Wright in his prime
so light up a dime
and put it high in the sky, till it looks like the air is filled with fire-flies
I, spark cheebas in the dark fiendish
bury your crew under the ocean so only the sharks seen us
my heartbeat is, in perfect synchronicity
with whatever machine is circulating electricity
skill breach ethnicity, will beat ya' physically
till ya' see god, that's a religious epiphany
so it's no mystery, why we flow so sadistically
pain twisted me, inside the rain of it's misery
linguistically my, cancerous shower
cause a transfer of power, I'm the man of the hour
how I keep time make clocks stop to watch
leave time a verse behind everytime I rock the spot
I'm the curse, two dead lee like Brandon and Bruce
MC's kick a verse, then I hand them a noose
cause either way, once you run out of breath, it's certain death
believe what I say, what my lungs hold will burst your chest
if knowledge is power then I'm the mental dictator
my pen will rip major arteries, who wanna part of me?!
hail to the great, I hammer nails in your face
barbarian ape, I make the sound barrier break
carry my tape my voice travel on nuclear transportation
any rapper riding my style becomes a chronic cancer patient
my corrugated sabre blade is sharp as razors
all invaders of my dark chambers hearts are in danger
I throw a coat hanger down your throat hang you heartless
stiff as starch is, in a state of catharisis
fiberglass frames cry plastic mucus splinters
as your crimson blood spills in the massachusetts winter
throwing your staff in glowing baths of petroleum gas
photos I flash blow you in half and now your smoldering ash
the essence of eloquence, I'm dominant, no resistance for a pittance
I'll stop your portion of our co-existence
I strike the paltry, the holy taliban and papacy
your ballsy, my blade leave you spade for trying to rap with me
slash vas deferens in half past impotence
cowards are incompetent my powers are Omnipotent!

The_Icon

Reaction score
Lil Wayne Arrested in Idaho

http://www.tmz.com/2007/10/06/lil-wa...tinuedcontents

Wayne, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr., was booked into the Ada County Jail by the Boise City Police around 7:30 AM MT this morning. The Sheriff's Department website indicated he was booked on felony charges of being a fugitive.

Boise cops tell TMZ Wayne was arrested immediately following his concert Friday night at Boise's Qwest Arena. We're told he was picked up on a felony warrant out of Fulton County, Ga., for a felony possession of drugs charge. Authorities from Georgia contacted Idaho police and gave them the heads up about the warrant.

Cops tell us he was very cooperative and was arrested without incident. He is now in protective custody pending an arraignment and extradition hearing, which will take place Monday afternoon.

Wayne was previously nabbed in July on a gun charge in New York, and in 2006 he was busted in Atlanta for drug possession.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BG has a new single out and an album on the the way. He was actually pretty good, but kept losing the battle against his heroin addiction.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I am actually starting to like Wayne some, I think his flow is pretty tight, though lyrically he's obviously sub par. I wouldn't listen to his albums though.
What other way would they pronounce words? Do you want to here Ghost rapping in proper English? Nas with the Locust Valley Lockjaw?

Jpeirpoint

I totally agree,

I like Wayne, lyrically he's pretty good, however his content is usually less than spectacular.

I probably wouldn't buy one of his albums, but I don't mind listening to him on the radio, as well as on other peoples joints.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
She used to be the sweetest girl ever
ever Now she like sour ameretta
She wears a dress to the T like the letter
And if you make it rain she will be under the weather
She used to run track back in high school
Now she tricks off the track right by school
She takes a loss cos she don't wanna see her child lose
So respect her, I'll pay up for the time used
And then she runs to the pastor
And he tells her there will be a new chapter
But she feels no different after
And then she asks him.........

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
How are you supposed to prove that someone sucks at rapping?

I mean, its clear to me, that Lil Wayne is a no talent assclown who's tired schtick, weak rhymes, repetitive, grating voice and illusory versatility are over hyped by the main stream media so that people with no real opinions of their own can latch onto something to champion.

I just can't understand for the life of me why people like "top forty" mainstream commercial crap anyways.

I am sick to death of this faux gangsta/ faux pimp/ ghettoized pronunciation/ lazy beats and production/ riding the hook of a much better song to the top of commercial airplay charts / club bangin bullshit that passes for rap these days.

Maybe its just me.

I may not be the biggest supporter of a lot of MTV rappers, but without top 40 rmainstream rappers, the genre would be nonexistant.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I may not be the biggest supporter of a lot of MTV rappers, but without top 40 rmainstream rappers, the genre would be nonexistant.

People like Immortal Technique would still be spitting rhymes if there was no money in/market for mainstream rap.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
People like Immortal Technique would still be spitting rhymes if there was no money in/market for mainstream rap.
But the genre itself would be no more popular than Polka music. It's like most genre's of music, you still need the mainstream to bring the artform to the limelight.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the genre itself would be no more popular than Polka music. It's like most genre's of music, you still need the mainstream to bring the artform to the limelight.

I'll grant you that, but I was just saying that, more so today than ever, a genre can be quite vital without having anything to do with the limelight.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Um... I distinctly remember a time not too long ago when Slick Rick, Chuck D, Scarface, Ice Cube, KRS-One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Tupac, Nas, and to some extent Biggie, would collectively slap the taste out of your mouth for saying that this **** that passes for rap nowadays is what makes rap music great.

Kanye, T-Pain, Sean Kingston, Lil Wayne, Shop Boyz, Timbaland, 50 Cent, and etc?
This is f*cking pop music. It's become so diluted and homogenized for the masses that it's not even in the same genre. Rap just happens to be the current vehicle for people infatuated with fame and a paycheck to try and live the dream. 20 years ago it was glam-rock hair bands and power ballads...

I'm not saying that there wasn't some classic stuff that came out during that period, but 99.9% of it was crap and it just took people a decade or so to realize it.

Rap needs a "Nirvana" or a "Disco Sucks" movement. Desperately.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Um... I distinctly remember a time not too long ago when Slick Rick, Chuck D, Scarface, Ice Cube, KRS-One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Tupac, Nas, and to some extent Biggie, would collectively slap the taste out of your mouth for saying that this **** that passes for rap nowadays is what makes rap music great.

Kanye, T-Pain, Sean Kingston, Lil Wayne, Shop Boyz, Timbaland, 50 Cent, and etc?
This is f*cking pop music. It's become so diluted and homogenized for the masses that it's not even in the same genre. Rap just happens to be the current vehicle for people infatuated with fame and a paycheck to try and live the dream. 20 years ago it was glam-rock hair bands and power ballads...

I'm not saying that there wasn't some classic stuff that came out during that period, but 99.9% of it was crap and it just took people a decade or so to realize it.

Rap needs a "Nirvana" or a "Disco Sucks" movement. Desperately.

At this point I question what you know about rap, Tupac and Biggie were top 40 rap...try again. A fair number of the artist you've listed are platinum selling. As for Scarface (easily one of my favorites), he could care one way or the other, his stuff is far deeper than who outsells who, or who is better than who.

Including Ice-cube on your list was funny considering he helped pimp out Hip-hop for the gangsta rap movement, remember Commons "I Use to Love Her".

Like stated earlier, I am not a fun of MTV pop rap outside of maybe Kanye, but it does does serve a purpose, which is nothing different from the gangsta rap era of the 90's. As for songs played in the club, remember hip-hop started out in the club. I'm not a fan of club joints, but they have a place. The last thing rap needs, is to be one homogeneous entity, you have to love the fact that music from the South, East Coast, West Coast, Midwest varies.

As for "Glam RocK", sure it died out, but it was nothing more than subgenre that fell under Rock, the same as Gangsta Rap falling under the Hip-Hop envelope. Rock obviously survived, just as sure as Hip Hop will also.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I'll grant you that, but I was just saying that, more so today than ever, a genre can be quite vital without having anything to do with the limelight.
I agree, but look at what has happened to Jazz. I hate gangsta rap the most, because the majority of artists don't live the lifestyle they represent, they are only concerned about record sales. Most of the crap played on and off the radio is absolute garbage. To be honest, I have become a larger fan of Neo-Soul, the majority of the artists respect the art, and almost none are concerned primarily about record sales

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
At this point I question what you know about rap, Tupac and Biggie were top 40 rap...try again. A fair number of the artist you've listed are platinum selling. As for Scarface (easily one of my favorites), he could care one way or the other, his stuff is far deeper than who outsells who, or who is better than who.
In fact, nearly all the artists I mentioned are "platinum selling". or were "top forty" at some time. You seem to be missing the point. None of these people can really be accused of making pop music. They started rapping because they had something to say. One can argue that Ice Cube post Lethal Injection, was a lot more commercial, but thats pretty much the only person on my list you can even criticize.
Including Ice-cube on your list was funny considering he helped pimp out Hip-hop for the gangsta rap movement, remember Commons "I Use to Love Her".
So now Common is the paragon of what is right and true about hip-hop? Last time I checked that guy sold his nuts to the Gap. That "feud" was staged, and that is precisely the period of time when Cube went from actually trying to say something (AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, Death Certificate, Predator, Lethal Injection) to trying to be an actor. If you would have actually read my post, you would see that the whole thing was set in a "past tense" setting.
Like stated earlier, I am not a fun of MTV pop rap outside of maybe Kanye, but it does does serve a purpose, which is nothing different from the gangsta rap era of the 90's.
I'll bet you don't know what the highest charting rap song or rap act of the '90s was. Neither are "Gangsta Rap". If anything, they were especially conscientious in comparison. Gangsta's Paradise and The Fugees. FTW.
As for songs played in the club, remember hip-hop started out in the club.
So you honestly think that "Party Like A Rockstar" or "Lean Back" are as good as "The Breaks" or "Rappers Delight". Even songs that were brainless club tracks in the 70's and 80's actually SAID something. Whether they spoke to the frustrations found in everyday life, about the rise of drugs in the neighborhoods, not being able to get a job, or what have you, you have a song with some sort of message:
If your woman steps out with another man (That's the breaks that's the breaks) And she runs off with him to Japan And the IRS says they want to chat And you can't explain why you claimed your cat And Ma Bell sends you a whopping bill With eighteen phone calls to Brazil And you borrowed money from the mob And yesterday you lost your job Well, these are the breaks
Whereas today, you will get this:
party like a rockstar do it wit da black and da white like a cop car whoop, whoop me and my band, man on the yacht with marilyn manson gettin a tan, man

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads