• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Levi Quality Depending on Country of Manufacture

radman46

Reaction score
I was out shopping for some new Levis this weekend. Looking at the tags and where they are made is quite a lesson in geography. It seems the denim material is quite different depending on what county the jeans where made in. Does anyone have any experience with where the best quality Levis are manufactured. From what I saw this weekend it looks like the Levis coming from Mexico are made from the better quality denim. Anyone else have an opinion? I am talking about the regular mall type Levis not any of the repro or high end jeans.

radman46

Reaction score
I was looking at 501's, 505's and 517's all prewashed.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Great question...I just bought two, one from Mexico and one from Bangladesh. The Bangladesh is thinner and a bit softer, both seem decently made.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Levi's tag means almost nothing. Where they were made and where you buy them are what matter.

rico suave

Reaction score
This interests me too. By where you buy them do you mean the stores or like purchasing them in different countries? And which is the preferred country of make?

radman46

Reaction score
I was at JC Penny's and Kohls trying on some new Levis last weekend. I noticed how almost every pair looked, felt and fitted different, so I looked at the labels and noticed all these different countries where the jeans were made. I started paying attention to that and it 'seemed' the Levis made in Mexico had the better quality of denim and fit, at least me, the best. I was just curious if anyone else had any comments on this. Again, these are the run of the mill 501's, 505's and 517's all pre washed, none of the LVC or fancy/expensive Levis. Let me know what you all have noticed. Thanks.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rico suave
This interests me too. By where you buy them do you mean the stores or like purchasing them in different countries? And which is the preferred country of make?
No, though if you are looking at Levi's in different countries, you will find a vast difference between the pairs. I'm talking about something much simpler, though: Wal Mart Levi's are not JC Penny Levi's are not Sears Levi's are not Macy's Levi's are not Nordstron Levi's. The tag means nothing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40